Does anyone have some material on Balram Model toilet types?

Page selection:
  • robhughes
  • Working on innovative approaches to sanitation, particularly in challenging environments in SE Asia and the Pacific

Re: Does anyone have some material on Balram Model toilet types?

Dear all, thanks for sharing those useful resources.
The balram model seems useful for high groundwater / rocky ground, assuming construction is adequate and the infiltration from the outlet is managed. I would think there's still a good chance of groundwater contamination from leaks or discharge from the outlet, it's a shame Ben couldn't get these results, I'm sure there are other experiences out there. While there'd be some reduction, I'm not sure you could guarantee effluent would be treated adequately. Also this doesn't seem suitable for floodprone areas, at least where water levels reach the outlet level or there is overland flooding, as the water can enter the system.
Mariska I'd be happy to share some other examples we've come across if that is useful.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Hughes,
WASH Manager,
Live & Learn Environmental Education

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

Dear all,

I'm glad to see other places where this kind of "small-septic tank" otpion has been implemented.
We tried a similar system in Cambodia a few years back, for rocky ground reasons (very difficult to dig further than 70 cm), but we never actually had the opportunity to test the effluents after the second pit (infiltration at the end with a sandy trench).
The pits in the Balram model are much bigger than ours (only 50cm deep). I'b very interested to know if you carried some tests with different depth of the pits to see how the effluent is reacting.

Link to the IDE/GRET micro septic tank : www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1409

Thanks,

Ben
The following user(s) like this post: MRonteltap

• pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Hello Mariska

The linked -Handbook on Technical options for on-site sanitation, posted by Apurva Sahu describes about Balram Model. I wrote this book while working with the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Govt. of India. This Model is suitable for high water table / water logged/ flood affected and saline affected areas of south western region of Bangladesh.
I was in Jessore (Bangladesh) last month regarding a consultancy work for providing sustainable technologies for such area,provided by the WASTE Netherlands. Details of suitable technologies have been provided in my report to WASTE, Netherlands. In my report, Balram model is one of the options, suitably modified, taking into consideration the local economic condition and available infrastructure/ materials in the area.
Hope the book will be helpful.
pawan jha
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, MRonteltap, apurvasahu

• apurvasahu

Hello Mariska,

page 21 has design of such toilet. Hope this information is what you are looking for.

apurva !
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Apurva Sahu
Sr. Engineer
M.Sc Sanitary Engineering

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: MRonteltap

• MRonteltap
    Topic Author
  • Lecturer Sanitary Engineering teaching in SuSan at UNESCO-IHE

Does anyone have some material on Balram Model toilet types?

Dear all,

Together with WASTE and several Bangladeshi and Indian partners, UNESCO-IHE is carrying out a research project in Bangladesh concerning flood-prone sanitation, under BRAC funding. We turned the project in a type of design contest for local entrepreneurs, to come up with their version of a locally acceptable, producable and sustainable flood-prone sanitation technology. Once we are further ahead in the project, I will provide you with more details.

My question to you: I have seen the words Balram Model pass by a few times now in various documents, but I cannot find any solid design information on it. If you have any info (design, experience, etc), would you be so kind to share it with me?

Many thanks in advance!

With best regards,
Mariska
_____
Dr.ir. Mariska Ronteltap
Senior Lecturer in Sanitary Engineering
Environmental Engineering and Water Technology Department
UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education
Westvest 7, 2611 AX Delft, The Netherlands
T: +31 15 215 1767 | E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
NB. Not in the office on Thursdays
The following user(s) like this post: jamesoriga

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds