Design engineer based in Ireland has developed a lightweight toilet that is capable of operation entirely off grid

Page selection:
  • jankn

Re: Design engineer based in Ireland has developed a lightweight toilet that is capable of operation entirely off grid

Hi Paudie

As Ben and Marjin already mentioned, it would be great if you could share some more details about the toilet you developed. Did you design it with an Irish context in mind (where about 30% of the population is served by on-site systems) or with a potential for application in middle- and low-income countries?

There is quite some research being done on on-site wastewater treatment, both globally and in Ireland, here at Trinity College in Dublin; have you had the chance to present your prototypes to a wider audience here in Ireland so far?

Best
/Jan
Jan Knappe

Doctoral Researcher on environmental performance assessment and modeling of on-site wastewater treatment systems
Trinity College Dublin & University of Limerick
Email: jan.knappe(at)tcd.ie, Twitter: @JanKnappe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Paudie
  • Topic Author

Re: Design engineer based in Ireland has developed a lightweight toilet that is capable of operation entirely off grid

Thank you Ben for your very kind welcome , the last prototype worked wonderfully well and perhaps may be considered a " clockwork " solution to the issue !

• Paudie
  • Topic Author

Thanks for that Marijn, the co modern can indeed be retro fitted . As you implied , the site is a secondary consideration and of
Principally it is the will to use it that will determine its impact . Thanks again for taking the time to respond to the reach out

• Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Paudi,

As Ben says above, we are all very curious to see what you have come up with.

With regard to your question. It will be very hard to suggest a place to test your toilet without knowing what you designed it for. I mean that to evaluate your design you have to find a location that presents the situation it was designed for.

If you just want to take on a very large challenge, consider looking at sanitation for informal settlements. Or retro-fitting into densely populated old areas of cities which have grown massively. I would also suggest doing your research in a country where there are such areas, but that at the same time have good universities and research facilities. I think some East African countries or Bangladesh / India may be good candidates.

Finally, usually it is things like user engagement, institutional set-up and a larger enabling environment that determine success or failure and less the actual technology

Regards

Marijn
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

I want one ! Welcome in this forum Paudie

To your question : which site globally would be the most effective / productive proving venue ?

I invite you to first prove your concept within the best ecosan expert team you ever dreamt of : The susana FORUM !

Looking forward to have some info on your profile, and for you invention photos, website, technical drawings, etc ...

Best,

Ben

• Paudie
  • Topic Author

Design engineer based in Ireland has developed a lightweight toilet that is capable of operation entirely off grid

Good evening I am an award winning design engineer based here in Ireland and have developed a lightweight toilet that is capable of operation entirely off grid and without hydro , chemical or motorised action . The unit ( named the co modern ) is patent pending and I'd designed to move and treat waste material off site and the co modern itself may be sited in a safe and secure envoirnment .

Additional prototype development is being funded by the Irish state with a few to future manufacturing here in Ireland .

The co modern is capable mass installation / usage post disaster zones , rural and low to medium density population centres . My query is simply which site globally would be the most effective / productive proving venue ?

Kindest regards Paudie sheahan Comhairle na muire gaile ( bronze )

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds