Faecal Sludge Management Research

Page selection:
  • Temple
    Topic Author
  • Temple is a Water and Environmental Engineer, currently practicing as an International Development Consultant with special focus on WASH consultancy services. Temple is the Program Coordinator of Nigeria Young Water Professionals and the Co-Lead of Leave-No-One-Behind Group at Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN)

Re: Faecal Sludge Management Research

Thank you Eddy for your insight and for reaching out privately. I hope to get more insights from your research in Portharcourt.
Temple Chukwuemeka Oraeki
WASH Consultant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Temple
    Topic Author
  • Temple is a Water and Environmental Engineer, currently practicing as an International Development Consultant with special focus on WASH consultancy services. Temple is the Program Coordinator of Nigeria Young Water Professionals and the Co-Lead of Leave-No-One-Behind Group at Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN)

Hi Paresh,

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm looking at the structure, operations and process for domestic sewage Mgt.
WASH Consultant

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Hi. Eddy and SuSanA Members,

It is appreciative to note that the FSM practices in your area is functional and well sustained.
For the conduct of FSM practices, to be popular in communities and amongst persons in a community, the produces, realised to be commercially realised.
This provides a better ' feel good' factor and instills ' self confidence '.
The lay out of these process on ground need to be kept - clean and clear, with green cover and florals.

Well wishes,
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Eddy251
  • Planning & Sanitation Engineer, FSM Professional

Hi Temple,

You are at the right place.
I am a sanitation professional with lots of experience in FSM and the Nigerian context. I can see from the trail that you intend to research in Zaria, Kaduna? I have been part of a successful FSM project in Port Harcourt. I could be of help if you can share more insight into what you really need and the expected objective of your research.

There are lots of tools to use, and the choice is dependent on the expected outcome. As a starting point, you would need to do some citywide surveys, structured interviews, analysis of FS (faecal sludge characterisation), etc. You could also get the Sheet flow diagram guide from this site, to help in the development of your research. Do you need to get up to treatment technologies?

Get in touch

Regards,
Eddy
Eddy

....we are expected to lead our people forward.....
The following user(s) like this post: paresh, AjitSeshadri

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Can you please tell more about what aspect of FSM are you trying to do research on? Will be able and happy to help.

As a part of my research, I am looking at FSM planning processes in couple of Indian towns.

regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• Temple
    Topic Author

Hi FxGold,

Thank you for the feedback. The research is to be carried out in Zaria, Kaduna State.
WASH Consultant
The following user(s) like this post: FxGold

• FxGold

Thank you Temple for bringing this here. Thank you too Elizabeth for your guide. As Elizabeth suggested if Temple is specific on the particular city he is working on, Nigerian users would also know how to help. I live in Lagos and was part of a similar research some years back. That research was an eye opener for me and my team and we have to develop a pro poor model of onsite fecal sludge management system. This model is what we are deploying today to contribute towards ending Open Defecation in Nigeria by 2025.

Raymond Gold.

• Temple
    Topic Author

Thank you Elisabeth for the guide.
WASH Consultant

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Temple,
You have already found the right sub-category for your question which is the one you posted in. So that's good.
If you browse through the other posts in this sub-category (forum.susana.org/277-fsm-planning-tools-...boxes-and-guidelines) you will surely find plenty of pointers for your research.
If you have any specific questions after reading those existing guides, please feel free to ask them later in this thread.

Perhaps if you explain which city or state in Nigeria you are working in, then other like-minded Nigerians will connect to you here on the forum. We have quite a few Nigerian SuSanA members by now.

All the best,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: FxGold

• Temple
    Topic Author

Faecal Sludge Management Research

Hi everyone,

I am carrying out a research on Faecal Sludge Management in a Nigerian city and would appreciate a guide on carrying out this research.

Please share relevant research guide or planning tools for FSM research.

Thank you!
WASH Consultant
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds