Looking for funding for the renovation of a composting and a sludge treatment facility in Adjumani, Uganda

Page selection:
  • HAPitot
    Topic Author
  • Environmental engineer with a passion for low cost and resource recovery issues in sanitation

Re: Looking for funding for the renovation of a composting and a sludge treatment facility in Adjumani, Uganda

Dear Prit,
Good idea!  You are right, the WSDF might (and should) be interested in the projects.  I completely forgot about them.

And Chaiwe,
Regarding your question, I have worked as a development adviser for DED/GTZ in Adjumani from 2008 to 2013, and I am the initiator of these projects and of the 'two-track approach'.  Since then, I have kept an interest in how the projects are faring, and I have participated in a farming project in the region.  The idea was to use the surplus compost produced and liquid fertilizer collected at the composting facility, that is what cannot be sold to the pubic, on the farm.  Of course, since the composting facility got torn down, this idea doesn't work anymore.

Kind regards,
H-A
Hanns-Andre Pitot
M.Eng. Environmental Pollution Control
presently in Seesen, Germany
The following user(s) like this post: Chaiwe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Prit

Re: Looking for funding for the renovation of a composting and a sludge treatment facility in Adjumani, Uganda

Dear Hanns-Andre,

In my opinion, it would be best if the Town Clerk contacts the Water and Sanitation Development Facility - North, based in Lira. These are the guys who plan, design and fund FSTPs in Uganda on behalf of the ministry. It has been a few years since I have worked in those parts of UG, but I remember the WSDF-N haveing plans for FSTPs in West Nile region, and perticularly in Adjumani.

If you can PM me on my email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I could share some contacts.

Good luck and best regards

Prit.
Prit Salian
Co-lead for Working Group 6 - Cities
Urban Sanitation Planning Practitioner
Partner at i-San Consulting

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Greetings Hanns,

Looking forward to what the Town Clerk of Adjumani has to say. If it is anything like most developing countries on the continent, budgetary allocation from the central government is usually limited for such initiatives at the county/ municipal level.

Do you mind my asking in what capacity you are seeking funding for this cause?

Concerning GIZ it has been quite a while now since the DED-GTZ merger. Sounds like something worth pursuing for sure.

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• HAPitot
    Topic Author
  • Environmental engineer with a passion for low cost and resource recovery issues in sanitation

Dear Chaiwe,

Thank you very much for your interest in this project and for your questions.

Regarding the first one, I would prefer to wait for the town clerk of Adjumani to respond - I have informed him about your question.  Only so much from my side:  Adjumani is a country town of about 35000 people in the border region with South Sudan.  In the region, there are few resources except basic agriculture, and there are many refugees from South Sudan.  Remember also that at least the sludge treatment facility has for various reasons never been completely finalized, as outlined in the concept paper about that facility. 

Regarding donors, I have contacted a few directly, including GIZ, the organization that has given the initial funding (as the then DED, before it was merged with GTZ).  I am still waiting for a positive response.

Kind regards, H-A
Hanns-Andre Pitot

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear Hanns,

This is a great initiative you have taken in exploring potential opportunities for renovating the sludge treatment facilities within Adjumani, Northern Uganda.

However, I would like to find out if you (and/or the mandated authorities) have considered any immediate funding options available within the Ugandan municipalities? Are there any provisions in the government budget structures for these sort of interventions?

Out of curiosity too, have you considered approaching donor organisations to work towards meeting the objective of your project?

Regards,
Chaiwe 
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• HAPitot
    Topic Author

Dear all,

I am seeing a lot of views but no responses - what is wrong?

In the meantime, I have reviewed the two concept notes and made some improvements - please see the attachments.  Note that I have had to slightly increase the renovation costs for the composting facility to 60 000 000.- UGX (Ugandan Shillings).

I am also attaching a paper I have once presented at a WEDC conference (of Loughborough University, England) which is outlining the overall sanitation approach that was followed (A 'Two-track' Approach to Sanitation and Waste Management in Adjumani, Northern Uganda).  I think this approach is truly innovative, and just for that reason, I would very much hope that funding is going to be made available.  Note, also, that I have stopped counting the private ecosan toilets that were constructed by residents during the course and immediately after of the original project at more than 100.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hanns-André
Hanns-Andre Pitot

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• HAPitot
    Topic Author

Looking for funding for the renovation of a composting and a sludge treatment facility in Adjumani, Uganda

Dear all,

In the name of the Town Council of Adjumani, Northern Uganda, I am looking for funding for the renovation of two derelict sanitation facilities that are both belonging to the town council:
  1. A manually operated composting facility and
  2. a small, artificial wetlands based sludge treatment facility.
Total costs are estimated as follow:
  1. 57,000,000 UGX for the composting, about 14000 Euro,
  2. 116,000,000 UGX for the sludge treatment, about 29000 Euro.
For details, please check the attached concept notes.
Hanns-Andre Pitot

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds