Research Topic: City-Wide Sanitation: The Urban Sustainability Challenge (new publications in open access format)

Page selection:
  • ccluthi

Re: Research Topic: City-Wide Sanitation: The Urban Sustainability Challenge (new publications in open access format)

Hi Paresh,

Regarding your question regarding Copyright: Yes, the Creative Commons copyright rules do apply here - it is an open-source document that can be downloaded, used and cited. As with all publications, the original content should always be cited correctly (and not just copy-pasted without reference). I agree with Elizabeth, that a Wikipedia text has a different audience and you'll need to adapt the language and syntax.

Very best,
Christoph (Eawag)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Research Topic: City-Wide Sanitation: The Urban Sustainability Challenge (new publications in open access format)

Hi Paresh,
Interesting question. I also find it a bit confusing. For example the copyright statement of this paper says at the bottom:

Copyright © 2020 McConville, Kvarnström, Nordin, Jönsson and Niwagaba. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the  Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY)

Which makes me wonder: is the copyright with the authors or is it open access (CC BY)? Or maybe that's not a contradiction. I would assume that the CC BY license statements overwrites the "author copyright" statement.

So yes, we could copy chunks of text from these papers as well as images to Wikipedia articles. However, in most cases we would have to paraphrase content because the intended audience is different: These papers are written for WASH experts and are likely to use jargon, abbreviations etc. For the text to be understandable for lay persons ( = the target audiences in Wikipedia) we usually have to paraphrase and simplify.

But in any case, thanks for alerting us, and wouldn't it be great if key findings from these papers now made their way into relevant Wikipedia articles? I'll raise this possibility with the 3 authors that are named for the editorial:  Christoph Lüthi  Juliet Willetts  and  Sabine Hoffmann.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Research Topic: City-Wide Sanitation: The Urban Sustainability Challenge (new publications in open access format)

Came across the following statement in the recent papers related to CWIS in Frontiers 

Copyright © 2020 Authors. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the  Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) . The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.

The statement is ambiguous if I understand the contents of this thread correctly. The authors own copyright over the content but it also has CC BY licence. 

Elisabeth, curious if one could copy chunks of such articles into Wikipedia? 

Regards,
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds