any ideas about generating phosphorus using human excrement

Page selection:
  • Akshay14
    Topic Author
  • an open book who wants to read.

Re: any ideas about generating phosphorus using human excrement

to,
Danial

thanks for the addition. i had a look on their website and i'm quite impressed. now trying to direct contact to concern person who can help me out.

regards,
Akshay
Product Manager/sanitation consultant/
Aquatron Maharashtra
www.aquatron.se

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Dear Akshay,
In addition to the pointers from the posts above, I would like to also add that if you are interested in recovering phosphorus in chemical form (e.g. as struvite) and not as sludge, you may also want to look at some examples from the manure processing industry/sector which seems to have some quite advanced technology for nutrient recovery from manure. I guess some of these technologies may be customized for a municipal wastewater context in one way or another. In that case, you may have to reach out directly and contact companies like Nijhuis Industries www.nijhuisindustries.com/solutions/reso...very/nijhuis-genius/ (see the photo below for what they have developed) or others like those listed on the Newtrient Catalog of technologies www.newtrient.com/Catalog/Technology-Catalog

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba
Attachments:

• Akshay14
    Topic Author

dear,
marjin

thanks for the information you shared. can i have this technology in mumbai, india for my next public toilet project where i am planning to separate the solid and liquid and then treatment on separated liquid and treatment of solid as well, which includes flush water and urine. this project is having 8 no of WC and urinals. if yes let me know the further procedure. you can write me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . and also let me know what info you will need. waiting for your reply.

thanks,
akshay.
Aquatron Maharashtra
www.aquatron.se

• Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Akshay,

I the past I worked for a project to re-claim phosphate in the form of struvite from source separated human urine. This was the STUN project from Eawag. Here is a link with all our project documentation: www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/projects/ewm/stun/

One of our conclusions was that struvite production is a very good way to reclaim the phosphate from urine, but that there are a few issues.
-The amount of phosphate you can reclaim is fairly low in comparison with the large volumes of urine you need to collect.
-The effluent of struvite production still has a high amount of nitrogen, which is much more difficult to reclaim.

The people at Eawag who were in the STUN project have carried out the VUNA project since then. www.eawag.ch/en/department/eng/projects/vuna/ This is project that used more complicated technology to process urine. The result is a very concentrated nutrient solution, that contains all the plant nutrients from the urine, not just the phosphate. They have started a spin-off company based on this technology: www.vuna.ch/index_en.html

Regards
Marijn
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, Akshay14

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Mr. Akshay,

Please have a look at the attached flyer.

Regards,
F H Mughal
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Akshay14
    Topic Author

Dear,
Mr. F. H. Mughal,

Its not a municipal wastewater treatment plant, i work with a company called Aquatron and my clients are showing interest to generate phosphorus and sell it. The project right now i am working on is a public toilet with WCs and urinals without any industrial waste water. There i want to install phosphorus harvesting plant. Is it possible to do or not? If yes what should i do?

Thanks,
Akshay.
Aquatron Maharashtra
www.aquatron.se

• hajo
  • retired in Germany... but still interested in water and sanitation... especially in OSS... and especially in Africa...

... I wonder whether the municipal waste water sludge even if free of heavy metals does not still contain pathogens, viruses and helminth eggs. I doubt that the sun drying will hygienise the sludge sufficiently for safe use in agriculture. Hygienisation requires temperatures of about 70oC as far as I know.

ciao
Hajo
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of a genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
E.F. Schumacher
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. :-)
Albert Einstein

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Mr. Akshay.

If you have municipal wastewater treatment plants, treating municipal wastewater only (not the mixed wastewater that contains industrial wastewater), you can use the stabilized sludge from the secondary sedimentation tanks, after sun drying, as fertilizer.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Akshay14
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for the right direction to my forum post. I am looking forward to generate phosphorus or nitrogen from the faecal sludge and sell it to needy people as we know phosphorus is decresing due to civilisation and pollution. So its our duty to make it green again by donating some of our efforts to enviroment. And i had look on this catogory and got good knowledge regarding the same. I am working in sanitation field and awaring people about the enviromental issues and some of my clients are happy to make it so for them i am seeking a complete solution or how it can be done.

Thanks,
Akshay.
Aquatron Maharashtra
www.aquatron.se

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Akshay,

I have moved your forum post into this category which is within our "green" category (referring to our color scheme from above in those circles) on resource recovery. When you browse the posts in that category you will find plenty of ideas on this.

Actually I don't really understand your question as it doesn't come out clearly with the thread title versus your sentence "if anyone can give me idea about buyers of phosphorus and nitrogen". Aren't most farmers buyers, i.e. when they buy fertilisers?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Akshay14

• Akshay14
    Topic Author

any ideas about generating phosphorus using human excrement

human excrement, weather it's probably composted human faeces or weather its separated human urine, all contain the 3 main elements to grow a food. nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. and by using phosphorus harvesting plan we'll be able to generate phosphorus and nitrogen and sell it to commercial farmers. so i wanted to know if anyone can give me idea about buyers of phosphorus and nitrogen.

thanks.
Aquatron Maharashtra
www.aquatron.se

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds