Sanitation & Hygiene Policies - How to create an Enabling Environment for Government Acceptance and Ownership?

Page selection:
  • Alice
    Topic Author

Re: Sanitation & Hygiene Policies - How to create an Enabling Environment for Government Acceptance and Ownership?

Dear Elisabeth,

thank you for your reply and please excuse my late response.

I had not browsed through existing threads before writing the questions, so thank you for the advice and for the sources as well.
Kindly find a link to a sofa session "Sanitation for Millions" held at the Stockholm World Water Week on how we collaborate with our partner ministries on sanitation and hygiene measures in schools and basic health units at policy level: vimeo.com/283650496

I would be curious to hear how other sanitation programmes collaborate with partner ministries (Health, Education, Water, etc.) on developing and institutionalising sanitation- and hygiene-related policies. I hope this makes my question more specific?

Best wishes,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

Department Climate, Environment and Infrastructure
Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Sanitation & Hygiene Policies - How to create an Enabling Environment for Government Acceptance and Ownership?

Dear Alice,

I am trying to help you find answers (and to encourage others to write in this thread here, too), but I am a bit lost. What do you mean by "how other sanitation programmes take WASH to the policy level"? Perhaps this question is too broad, could you perhaps break it down a bit into more specific questions?

Also, have you browsed through the existing threads in the following forum categories?:
- Government as a driver: forum.susana.org/142-government-as-a-driver
- Indian Government initiatives: forum.susana.org/swachh-bharat-abhiyan-in-india-sba-or-sbm
- FSM Planning tools, toolboxes and guidelines forum.susana.org/277-fsm-planning-tools-...boxes-and-guidelines

Maybe you will find some useful threads there.

Another method to find previous projects with a similar focus would by to go to the SuSanA project database
(www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database) then go to the filter "Filter by focus within sanitation chain" and select "enabling environment". This gives 147 projects: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects...7&vbl_2%5B%5D=&test=

You can apply a second or third filter to narrow it down to find projects that are helpful in answering your question.

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Alice
    Topic Author

Hi Arno,

thank you for your questions.
The collaborations are set up throught bilateral GIZ programmes who collaborate since many years with the respective partner ministries.
The funds for the programmes come mainly from the BMZ. In our case, S4M partners through the bilateral programme ILEPS with the Ministry of Education in Jordan, focusing on urban seetings. Our inclusive approach is co-funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

We plan a needs assessment, stakeholder analysis and trainings for the future school assistants for children with special needs.
Through a nationwide stakeholder event, we will engage the relevant political decision-makers to adapt the policy recommendations we develop based on the needs assessment.

I look forward to hearing more comments and thoughts on this and also on the more general question of how other sanitation programmes take WASH to the policy level.

Best,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Hi Alice
Please explain how the government collaboration has been set up. Are these countries receiving funds from GIZ or BMZ? If so how much are they receiving and over what period? What then are the commitments taken and are there action plans for studies, assessments and implementation? What are the targets - rural, urban? And are there international collaborators involved?
Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

• Alice
    Topic Author

Sanitation & Hygiene Policies - How to create an Enabling Environment for Government Acceptance and Ownership?

The global programme Sanitation for Millions (S4M) aims at creating and improving sustainable access to safe sanitation. Currently implementing in Uganda, Pakistan and Jordan, the programme aims at developing policies together with the partner ministries to ensure sanitation and hygiene measures are effectively institutionalised.
For instance, S4M is planning to develop a school assistants system to help pupils with special needs in schools in their daily school lives, which includes creating a barrier-free environment also with regards to sanitary facilities. The inclusive approach should be institutionalised at policy level together with the relevant political stakeholders.

To ensure the sustainability of this system in the long run, we seek the government's buy-in and the politician's acceptance and ownership. However, these systematic changes often develop slowly. Procedures, rules and allocation systems need to be adapted and translated into long term programmes.

What are your experiences in cooperating with the respective stakeholders at policy level?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments.

Thank you and best wishes,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds