Adding information related to SBM and advocacy work to Wikipedia articles of brand ambassadors in India?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Adding information related to SBM and advocacy work to Wikipedia articles of brand ambassadors in India?

This is a good suggestion, I agree with you, Paresh:

I think it may be worth adding a section on awareness generation efforts which will include appointment of brand ambassadors as a sub-section.  

So that would beef up this section further:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Miss...romotional_campaigns

It would be nice to also hear of our other Indian SuSanA members: what do you think of the Wikipedia article on Swachh Bharat Mission so far? What's still missing?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Mission

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Adding information related to SBM and advocacy work to Wikipedia articles of brand ambassadors in India?

I haven't come across any studies regarding the impact appointment of such brand ambassadors made. I think all of them including members of the opposition parties responded to the call. Many of them took to cleaning the streets, often symbolically and for photo-ops; but it kept the mission in the news continuously and helped raise awareness.

Now that I think of it, there were many other efforts to make SBM into a mass movement, appointment of ambassadors was only one of them.  Numerous competitions by the state and non-state actors, Swachhta hi Seva initiative, Swachhta pledge are other efforts that I have read about.  This was accompanied by a very high political commitment to the cause; the PM and other ministers regularly hit the streets with brooms in their hands and the PM spoke about it during many addresses. 

I think it may be worth adding a section on awareness generation efforts which will include appointment of brand ambassadors as a sub-section.  

I urge members to add relevant academic references, news articles, press briefings here. Thanks!! 

Regards
paresh 
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I think that's a great idea, Paresh! I hope you find some helpers, e.g. any Indians who like or even idolise any of those cricket stars, actors, musicians... Adding information about SBM and sanitation to such "high traffic" Wikipedia articles is a smart move.

As an aside, I am wondering about this:

One of the strategies that has been effectively used for Swachh Bharat Mission is appointment/nomination of brand ambassadors at National and State levels. Many notable names in sports, cinema, politics, etc.  were nominated as brand ambassadors who worked to promote cleanliness through cleaning drives, advertisements, social media engagement, etc.

Is there any market research or anecdotal evidence or stories out there which clarify whether these brand ambassadors were successful with keeping interest in SBM high in the Indian society? I assume also that not all of them undertook many activities to use their fame to push for this cause, or did they?
Do any of their actions stand out? Things that people remember?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Adding information related to SBM and advocacy work to Wikipedia articles of brand ambassadors in India?

Hi,
As you all know, we have a wikipedia article on Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) here:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Mission
One of the strategies that has been effectively used for Swachh Bharat Mission is appointment/nomination of brand ambassadors at National and State levels. Many notable names in sports, cinema, politics, etc.  were nominated as brand ambassadors who worked to promote cleanliness through cleaning drives, advertisements, social media engagement, etc.

Many of these brand ambassadors have massive following and their Wikipedia articles also receive large number (thousands) of views everyday. Considering these facts, I started editing Wikipedia articles of of these ambassadors to include their contribution to  the SBM. To name a few, I have already added such information to wikipedia articles of  Vidya Balan ,   Sachin Tendulkar ,  Virat Kohli ,  Amitabh Bachchan ,  Shashi Tharoor . 
The other brand ambassadors are listed in the SBM article under the heading 'promotional activities'

Does anyone feel passionate about educating the public  and can help me with this?

If you don't have time to help but you have time to list the flaws and shortcomings and references of these Wikipedia articles, please don't hold back and list them here in this thread. Previous discussions about the SBM article amongst Wikipedians are available here:  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Swachh_Bharat_Mission

And if you spot any typos in the Wikipedia article, just go ahead and correct them please (you do't even need a Wikipedia login for that).

Thanks,
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds