Covid19 transmission risk factors via toilet with aerosols

Page selection:
  • fppirco
    Topic Author
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

Re: Covid19 transmission risk factors via toilet with aerosols

Covid19 transmissions is main public health concern.
It may be happen via social contacts or toilet aerosol.     It is particularly likely in large settlements  or health care facilities with common  pipes and utlities ,
the question is now it reveals Covid19 has been found in sewage and waste water streams and likely transmissions  via  private or public toilets. 
What can  preventative performance? Is chorine residual  in low concentration is guaranteed  for killing Covid19  and will be safe for users and facilitates (pipes and waste water faclities?
Efficiency and safety both are critical.

Regards;
Mohammad
Researcher and consultant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I don't think that chlorine solutions should be applied as a "preventative solution" but only as a cleaning agent for surfaces that might be contaminated, right? I can't imagine that the amounts would be so high that it would make a difference in the treated wastewater at the other end of the pipe (or the receiving water body), although I could imagine it might affect septic tank performance if it's too much.

Regarding aerosols there is also this thread which Carol had started:
Shared toilet facilities and COVID-19: Guidelines for reopening and management

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• fppirco
    Topic Author
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

Dear Stuart 
Thank you so much for your comprehensive  reply , something is concern about preventive  action is using cholorine sloution but  how much it might be dangerous for pipe line becuase of its corrosive nature may be causes pipe lines   deterioration  and absorbed wells and how much cholrine application in absorbed wells
May be dangerous for aquifer layers?

Thanks
Best regards;
Mohammad

• swoolley
  • Technology Consultant at Isle Utilities GmbH

Hi Mohammad,

A large study on this topic has been conducted, which can be accessed here . A summary of the study is below:

A thorough study lead by Guangzhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guangzhou, China has determined that SARS-CoV-2 laden bioaerosols travelling through drainage systems with dried-out U-traps within a high-rise building, were the most-likely vector of transmission for a COVID-19 outbreak within that building. The study published under the name, "Probable Evidence of Fecal Aerosol Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in a High-Rise Building", used  a methodology that included forensic investigations, epidemic investigations, on-site simulation tests, and CFD modelling.

The apartments where it is thought that SARS-CoV-2 laden bioaerosols are thought to have entered via the drainage systems, are apartments where it is expected that floor and bathtub u-bends were dried out, therefore lacking any water barrier against aerosol ingress from the drainage network. Authors of the study clearly state that the evidence is circumstantial and that more evidence is needed to confirm the likely-hood of other similar events occurring elsewhere, it provides a warning for how drainage networks not maintained to required hygiene levels may propagate COVID-19 under seemingly unlikely circumstances.
Stuart Woolley

• fppirco
    Topic Author

Covid19 transmission risk factors via toilet with aerosols

Hi;

Covid19 has been detected in sewage waste water ,what about infection transmission via toilet as aerosols due to flushed washing or vaporized  or phyisical infection transmission fece,urine etc..

What preventive action must be followed? Washing and flushing with  chlorine soultions is healthy  and environmental friendly?

Best regards,
Mohammad 

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds