Windmill-driven ATADS

40.4k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Windmill-Driven ATAD (Autothermal, Thermophilic Aerobic Digester for increased pathogen removal)

Dear Jim,

When you say a place for publication, do you mean a peer-reviewed journal? I could suggest the IWA journals: Water Research; Water, Science & Technology; Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development; or Water SA. What I like in particular about Water SA is that it has a good status (citation index) but it is nevertheless open access which I find important.

If you are not after a peer-reviewed journal, and just want to get it out, then the SuSanA library could also be an option.

By the way: I have moved your posting to become part of the thread that you started over a year ago so that it all belongs together. This new category will actually be populated in the next few months with information about all the ongoing research grants funded by the WSH team of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/97-inn...ing-country-settings) - as part of the project to make the previously closed "Sanitation Network" run by the Foundation into a public-facing community here on this forum. You were I think the first BMGF grantee ever to make use of the SuSanA forum to discuss your research - so I call you an "early adopter".

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
You need to login to reply
The topic has been locked.
  • blackburn
    Topic Author
  • Glad to Be conversing with this group

Re: Suggestion for Publication

Hi.

We have 6 months operating data for our windmill-atad. I'm looking for suggestions as for where to publish. It is multi disciplinary :) 1) Environmental engineering, 2) chemical engineering, bioengineering, 3) sustainability, 4) energy production, 5)renewable energy production.

If you are not aware of the project, just search for ATAD

Thank you very much. Regards, Jim Blackburn
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

Re: Windmill-driven ATADS

;) Yes Christof, reuse of the water even to the potable point is technically possible, though too expensive for meeting Gates' target of less than $0.05/person-day. Right now the emphasis is on generating pathogen-free water. Regards, Jim
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

Christof, Please don't quit being or "devil's Advocate. Most of your comments have bourn fruit! Our six months autothermal thermophilic AEROBIC digestion experiment to date shows mostly ORPs around -200 mv. This is an accepted proxy for estimating the electrochemicistry and particularly what might be the main terminal electron acceptor. For most of our run we were
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

at -200 to -250 mv, dangerously close to the ORP related to methane formation. The system is really a mixture of all types of organisms and the orp shows some kind of average. We need to rerun with a home designed windmill and a sludge being much closer to strong aerobic ranges, >0 orp. and measure the methane at that level. I attach a chart showing the relationship between reactor temperature and ORP. Note we know we did not achieve the required temperatures, another reason for a second run.

I'm happy to discuss the issue. Jim

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• blackburn
    Topic Author

Sir, you raise a good point. We have always been aware that if the excreta has a low enough ORP methanogenisis would occur and we would have to do something. Even more locally to the users sitting on top of the reactors, if we cross 25% of the Lower explosion limit (mostly methane) a user could flip a cigarette in the reactor and the result would be deadly for a user. It has always been on our list and we will address it in our next run (since we are out of BMGF funds our progress will be proportional to the new funds we hope to raise). Thanks for you advice Jim
  • sjoerdnienhuys
  • Technical advisor on low-cost sanitation, worked for Aga Khan in the Himalayas, PUM in Asia,/Afica and Latin America, SNV in Nepal, DGIS in Latin America UNhabitat in Africa, and Waste /Gouda in India on ECO sanitation and biogas

I am mainly interested in the amount of methane or other GreenHouse Gasses (GHG) coming from the various sanitation systems, but I do not find much information on the subject. When Jim can do an off-gas analysis, it may turn out that the ATAD actually reduces the methane emissions as compared to other sanitation systems.

The methane production from faeces is a matter of deduction. All humans have methane producing bacteria in their intestines (anearobic). Cattle have mch more because of a different digestive system. When we defecate these faeces continue for a while to produce methane. This is observed by smell and in septic tanks. When the ATAD is fitted with (pour) flush toilets it is logical that some methane is produced. Maybe, by forced aeration the methane producing bacteria are rapidly killed off. This can be an additional environmental benefit of the ATAD ascompared to other systems. In that case it is worthwhile to measure and document it.

In general I think it is important that each santation system has a rating on GHG emissions, which are not limited to methane or CO2. Such rating can be a recommendation for specific systems versus other systems.
Sjoerd from The Netherlands.
Pronounce: 'Sured'
Some of my work on: www.nienhuys.info
for correspondence: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Hi Jim
Sorry I am confused :unsure: . First I did not respond, as Sjoerd from my point of view mixes anaerobic treatment with ATADS and these are two different technologies. But now you are writing about methane as well. Maybe I´m of university since too long, but from my understanding Methane production is very sensible to aerobic conditions...simply does not happen in aerobic conditions. Could you indicate a paper that states Mathane production in an aerobic process?
Yours
Christoph
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

B) Thanks, I thought I saw somewhere and article or publication of how to stop methane production in an aerobic system. Does anyone else remember this? Jim
  • chrisully

Hi Jim,

It sounds like a really interesting project. I was wondering if you have been able to quantify the volume of air produced ie cubic meters per hour or day under varying wind conditions?
Chris Sullivan
Environmental Scientist / Engineer
The following user(s) like this post: blackburn
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

I've analyzed much of the large set of computer-logged data and now have a presentation. After I submit it to BMGF, I will try to submit it to SuSanNa. Probably a couple of weeks. Regards, Jim
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

Your correct, my comments were only aimed at the windmill ATAD we are developing.
Surely there are 1000s of biogas systems operating safely around the world. Thanks for the correction. Jim
  • blackburn
    Topic Author

:( We will see. I believe it depends on the oxidation reduction potential. Regards and thanks for pointing out a possible problem to solve. Regards, Jim
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds