Incineration toilets - a short compendium of incineration toilet systems currently on the market or still in development

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Incineration toilets - a short compendium of incineration toilet systems currently on the market or still in development

Hi Ellen,
I am just wondering why anyone in South Africa would want to have an incineration toilet? Why are you studying them?

According to the Wikipedia article on incineration toilets they are only used for niche applications. Would you say this description is accurate?:
++++++++++
An incinerating toilet is a type of  dry toilet  that burns  human feces  instead of flushing them away with  water , as does a  flush toilet . [1]
Incinerating toilets are used only for niche applications, which include: Incinerating toilets may be powered by  electricity gas dried feces  or other energy sources. [2] [3]  Incinerating toilets gather excrement in an integral ashpan and then incinerate it, [4]  reducing it to  pathogen -free ash. [5]  Some will also incinerate "grey water" created from showers and sinks.
+++++++++

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • reidharvey7734
  • I am a ceramic industrial designer focused on environmental health and development. Ceramics is ideally suited to addressing the urgent needs of low-income communities and countries. Those embracing ceramic developments will industrialize, gaining resilience and self-sufficiency.

Re: Incineration toilets - a short compendium of incineration toilet systems currently on the market or still in development

Greetings All.  You are the salt of the earth!  Those interested in incineration toilet systems should note that the refractories of the system could be produced locally.  I.e., the incineration systems could be produced locally almost anywhere, by the poor, for the poor.  Just in case it is in any way doubtful that this is an appropriate approach to such disposal, the local production should help in indicating sustainability.  There could be a premise that the evidence base of sustainability should include affordability to those who are impoverished.

As with ceramic water filters and insulating rocket stoves there has been a lack of understanding and knowledge about the ceramic science and design.  I hope it is okay to include a link here to a presentation, included for the umpteenth time.  The insulating refractories of incineration toilet systems should be processed in much the same way as the  porous ceramics of the ceramic filters and the cookstoves of this presentation:  drive.google.com/file/d/1vV19ojCQPXZOt_A...7TG/view?usp=sharing
All the best, Reid
Anthony Reid Harvey, ceramic industrial designer
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA
Here is a video presentation that gives an overview of ceramic WASH and development interventions:
Harvey, Anthony Reid (2021): Sanitary stoneware toilets: production closer to the need. Loughborough University. Conference contribution. hdl.handle.net/2134/16941193.v1
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Ellen,
I think the attachment to your last post got lost, could you please attach it again? (update: the file is now attached to Ellen's post)

And I think we haven't yet discussed incineration toilets here on the forum before (at least the search function didn't lead me to anything). That's actually surprising because we have discussed pretty much all possible topics in the past!

There is a bit of information in the Wikipedia article on incineration toilets, see here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incinerating_toilet (it's pretty basic though; you could add your compendium to it later when you have it completed)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Tafadzwa
  • Topic Author

Incineration toilets - a short compendium of incineration toilet systems currently on the market or still in development

Hello everyone, 
Khanyisa Projects from South Africa is doing a project for the Water Research Commission, evaluating two household incineration toilet
systems. Part of the project is to produce a short compendium of incineration toilet systems
currently on the market or still in development. We are trying to make sure we have captured all relevant systems into the compendium. We are sending the list of systems around to various people to review, add any we have
missed that particularly might apply to less-publicised systems development. On this note, please find attached a list of the incineration toilets ,and I have included technologies that include combustion in their backend
processes. Let me know if there are any technologies/incineration toilets that I can add to the list.

Kind regards,
Ellen

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds