Looking for an old post in the Susana forum regarding tube that sucks up sludge

Page selection:
  • FrancisdelosReyes
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

Re: Looking for an old post in the Susana forum regarding tube that sucks up sludge

An update - we are in discussions with Esther and her group to see if the Excluder attached to a vacuum truck could be useful for their project. Thank you to the SuSanA forum for connecting people!

-Francis
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: Looking for an old post in the Susana forum regarding tube that sucks up sludge

That is right Tom.

I have just come across a new post about the Excluder. Looks like there is some new information and progress by the developers and I remembered this post. 

See Here: forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...rash-exclusion#32615

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• tgurksi

Hi Esther,

It sounds like you're describing the product that the Flexcravator evolved into...the Excluder: www.flexcrevator.com/the-solution

Cheers!
Tom
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, Chaiwe

• Esthervl
    Topic Author
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Dear Chaiwe,

Thank you so much! The Flex-X remains the most interesting one, I am going to look into it further. I wonder how far they are now. 

Thank you again!

Regards,

Esther

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear Esther,

I am happy to help. I am aware of a number of posts about different sludge pumping technologies that have been shared on the forum and even some publications within the library. 

See below a few that i could extract:

forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...tion-malawi?start=12 
Manual Gulper, Evac/pvac, Flexcravator:
forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...tter-valves?start=12 
2. forum.susana.org/251-pit-latrines-e-g-si...question-from-zambia 3. forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...th-small-vacuum-pump
4. forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...hnology-flexcrevator
Omni Pump:
forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...ump-testing-partners

PUBLICATIONS:
VLOM Pump: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/4146
Evac/pvac: www.susana.org/_resources/documents/defa...815363.%20et%20alpdf

Within the discussions, you will be able to find some references to trash excluding systems. The Flex-X does have a turning Alger that excludes trash. It is attached to the Flexcravator or any other pumping system. What i do know for sure is that it has since been modified a few times since i last saw it in action in 2017 in person in Zambia and a name change as well. The technology is developed by a team of experts from North Carolina State University who are also on this forum and have engaged in some of the discussions in the links above.

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• Esthervl
    Topic Author
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Looking for an old post in the Susana forum regarding tube that sucks up sludge

Dear Forum,

I am in need of help, I remember when I just started my new job last year Feb 2020, I found a post including a video about a tube which was used to suck up sludge. What made the tube special is that it had a special head enabling suction even though there was rubbish (plastic bags) in the sludge. If I remember correctly the special head separated rubbish (plastic bags) from sludge. I have been looking everywhere for this post, I found the following:
www.flexcrevator.com  
www.elastec.com/products/vacuum-systems/minivac/  

But these are devices, and I remember specifically that this was a special (turning) head, not a device. As I mentioned I looked everywhere, since I forwarded the link to my colleague. I checked my entire mail and whatsapp several times. Also the Susana forum, but I can’t find it. I have lost hope that I will be able to find it and now I am hoping that maybe, the story rings a bell to someone on the Susana forum as a final resort.

Kind regards,

Esther

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds