Looking for technology or method for pretreatment of slaughterhouse wastewater to reduce pathogens

25.5k views

Page selection:
  • Atabong89
    Topic Author
  • A motivated and dedicated Ph.D. student in the field of Water and Sanitation precisely Wastewater management. I believe sub-Saharan Africa needs more than ever solutions adapted to their socio-economic context.

Re: Looking for technology or method for pretreatment of slaughterhouse wastewater to reduce pathogens

Thanks for the suggestions, i will look into this option and get back to the forum, it  sounds interesting.

Best wishes.
ATABONG PAUL AGENDIA
Junior Researcher
Ph.D. student M.Sc. Plant Biotechnology/Wastewater Research Unit (WRU)
Department of Plant Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde I, Cameroon.
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
P.O. Box 8250, Tel: 00237 697854506/695115391
"Progress lives from the exchange of knowledge"Albert Einstein
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Response on bio composting of slaughter hse ww sludges.

Dear Members:

Worms/ fly species are most ideal to use, for bio digestion of these type of sludges.
It is also apt  to ensure that initially bio digestion of raw sludges are done, and then worms / flies are led in the beds, as secondary process.
Best to have the sludge partly  ie 50 to 60% digested. 
Very similar to offering cooked food to worms/ flies, and not raw food matter.

If these practices are followed,  it would be the best to follow and processes  sustained well. 

Well wishes for better project - prospects.. 

Ajit Seshadri. 
The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, Ngo, New Delhi .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Dannis

Re: Response

Bio compositing using Black soldier fly would works efficiently on the waste in properly management

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Slaughter house SLW Management

Dear SuSana Members:

Our Fellow members in Cameroon - Atabong , Masango others have indicated their keen ness to establish An appropriate SLW Management practices, well complying and sustainable in the prevailent conditions at a Developing region.

A pilot trials may be initiated to convert both waste water and solid wastes into resources, leaving very minimal remains that need to be safely disposed off from site.

The technology employed needs to be basic and elementary, that which can be dealt with village farmer-plumber. eg septic tanks, filters Etc.. Dewats type. with no mechanisation, fail- safe methods and provision for added redudancy in working devices and system.

Both Solid and Liquid waste mngmnt. ought to be a revenue generating, so that costs and op-expenses are duly met and plants sustained in its own merit.

Our Members may be aware of the above indicated features, but it is indicated such that more can be slotted in as per site conditions Etc.

The SLWM plant needs to be well laid out with adequate aesthetics, greened with florals, pleasant for sight.

Notings are issued for community good and benefits on achieving SDGs

Well wishes for a Great year in 2020.

Prof. Ajit Seshadri. I N D I A .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Masango
  • Conservationist with more than 15 years experience. Director at Green Cameroon www.greencameroon.org Chair at UN Regional Center of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development(RCE Buea, Cameroon)

Re: Inquiry

Dear Atabong, I think that is a huge problem with pollution you are trying to tackle there and I really want to commend your effort. I just want to say as you look for a solution on best filtration options, you should pay much attention to sustainability of the initiative too. Here, I am mostly looking at affordability of the end product relative to market situation of compost in Cameroon in relation to running cost. I do not know how competitive the market is, but its a very important factor.

• Atabong89
    Topic Author
  • A motivated and dedicated Ph.D. student in the field of Water and Sanitation precisely Wastewater management. I believe sub-Saharan Africa needs more than ever solutions adapted to their socio-economic context.

As you rightly point out Dean, I am trying to start an experimental phase at the laboratory experimental site with the results obtained from my Ph.D. I will turn to funders and the stakeholders with my results in order to get funded for implementation since everyone sees the impact of this wastewater on the environment and health.
ATABONG PAUL AGENDIA
Junior Researcher
Department of Plant Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde I, Cameroon.
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Atabong89
    Topic Author

Thanks for the info
ATABONG PAUL AGENDIA
Junior Researcher

• Atabong89
    Topic Author

Thanks, Joe, will go through it and surely contact them.
ATABONG PAUL AGENDIA
Junior Researcher

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Just as a side note, since I recently shortly looked into a similar topic: if the slaughtherhouse is processing ruminants (cows, sheep etc.) any resulting use, even including food crops grown on land with processed compost / irrigation, will be restricted for import into EU countries as far as I can tell.

Might be relevant or not in this case, and being a left over of the BSE crisis this restriction is being slowly relaxed...

• goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Of course blood is very nutrient rich, especially N and would be a very good fertiliser for irrigating to crops. Noting that pathogens break down in soil very rapidly, why is the slaughterhouse effluent discharged to water instead of irrigated to land? What is the land use and soil types/climate of the land surrounding the slaughterhouses and what are the crops grown there? Its pretty bad discharging this to waterways, the nitrogen content alone will cause serious issues, let alone the oxygen demand it will generate.
Vermifiltration will treat the effluent and remove pathogens and oxygen demand. It will not (and should not) remove nitrogen, so if the intention is to continue to discharge to waterways then treatment should include denitrification (anaerobic) step. If the intention is to utilise the resource for irrigating crops (the only sensible option) then vermifiltration is the lowest cost option.
16 cubes of effluent a day is not much at all, I'd estimate a media capacity of 20 cubic metres is required for a second-generation reactor, which would only cost about US $10,000. Add solar panels, lithium phosphate battery and recirculation pump $4000 you'd have a pretty special laboratory for a phD. What I'm interested in is whether there is a market for nutrient-rich pathogen-free irrigation water... and whether any of the agencies supposedly responsible for improving sanitation will fund you.
Dean Satchell, M For. Sc.
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com

• joeturner

I have found the attached study which might be relevant from Kenya. Maybe you could contact the authors for some direct advice?

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• joeturner

That sounds like a lot to me. I would think a reed bed would be the lowest cost effective option, but I do not know specifics. I have seen quite a large one in operation but do not know if it could work with that volume of blood.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds