term that sums up both faecal sludge and waste water?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: term that sums up both faecal sludge and waste water?

Hi Katharina,

I think that wastewater is the overarching term - faecal sludge could be regarded as a particular type of wastewater - a very thick type!
The definitions on Wikipedia are pretty helpful, I think:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastewater
Wastewater (or waste water) is any water that has been affected by human use. Wastewater is "used water from any combination of domestic, industrial, commercial or agricultural activities, surface runoff or stormwater, and any sewer inflow or sewer infiltration".[1]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_sludge_management
Fecal sludge is a mixture of human excreta, water and solid wastes (e.g. toilet paper or other anal cleansing materials, menstrual hygiene materials) that are disposed of in pits, tanks or vaults of onsite sanitation systems. Fecal sludge that is removed from septic tanks is called septage.

Please explain why you asked?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • KaiMikkel
  • Toilet Activist

Let me echo Ajit's comment: in the context of a decentralized system I would call it "septage". In the context of a centralized system I would call it "sewage". Then there's always "blackwater".
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear Katharina Klueber.
Let me try with my understanding to combine all wastes that come in municipal sewer lines or sewerage,
this may be termed as Sewage.
There is another term Septage to mention on waste waters which are septic in nature.
The bible on waste water treatment could bring out clearer understanding of these terms in the book by Metcalfe and Eddy.
Well wishes .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• KatharinaKlueber
  • Topic Author

term that sums up both faecal sludge and waste water?

Dear all,

looking at the two definitions of faecal sludge and waste water, I am wondering if there is a term on the larger scale that sums up both of these expressions. Does anybody know if such a term exists?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Katharina Klüber
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds