Application of FSM in sewered areas? (question from India)

Page selection:
  • nasirsahar
    Topic Author

Re: Application of FSM in sewered areas?

Hi Kevin

Hope you are fine. With your guidance, I have been able to gather initial information for planning purpose. I really appreciate the platform. This is required to help each other from our professional experience and maturity.

I don't think there is any significant information that needed to be shared at the platform. anything which would require to seek help from the group surely will be taken care of.

Regards/Nasir

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • nasirsahar
    Topic Author

Hi CSk,

I highly appreciate that you connected and informed about the company doing FS technology implementation. I would be happy connecting for more detailed information. At present, I am engaged with city authorities in India and working on solely FSM strategy development. I am learning about technologies and recommending authroties the best fit one.

Regards

• nasirsahar
    Topic Author

Its wonderful to see your response. I apologize for much delay. really very meaningful suggestions.

• joshiss

FSM is a wide term. We can work where there is a sewer line and there is no sewer line.
Approaches for both can be different. Sewer line length also matters in the process of treatment.
Additionally, it also matters how effectively we manage to control
1. physical inorganic matter
2. bacteriacidals / harsh chemicals especially the caustics

We can discuss the design of this process
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Dear Nasir,

I live and work in Beijing, Beijing has 20 FS treatment plants, most of these plants are built by Beijing Century Green Environmental Engineering & Technology Ltd (Century Green)

see their website. www.cgeet.com.cn/en/

We are partners, I organized many times FSM study tour in Beijing for BMGF and delegates from Morocco, Mongolia, Bangladesh, etc.

The company is also looking for partners overseas to developing international FS projects. They went to join FSM4 in Chennai, India, 2017.

If you are interested, I can help to make a contact with them.

Best

Shikun CHENG
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• kevintayler
  • I am a water and sanitation engineer, also interested in general urban housing issues. In recent years, I have worked on FSM for various organizations

Hi Elisabeth

I will leave it for Nasir to reply on where they have got to. He is working with the city authorities to develop a strategy and my main advice to date has been on how to gather the information required for planning. I don't think that there is anything that is of sufficiently general application to make it worth sharing on the forum but Nasir can advise on this from his end.

Best wishes
Kevin
Kevin Tayler
Independent water and sanitation consultant
Horsham
UK

• csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

In Beijing, it is not 100% sewered. So the FS is collected and treated in FS treatment plant. There are about 20 FS plants in Beijing. For instance, the public toilet in Hutong areas (downtown Beijing) is not sewered. You can imagine when you walk in Beijing downtown, you may see such FS trucks. Frequently.

Last year, I organized the toilet tour for BMGF during the Reinvent the Toilet Expo in Beijing. When we passed by a Hutong public toilet, there was a truck working, everyone stopped to take photos, video, interesting!!! see photos.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Shikun CHENG, Ph.D
University of Science and Technology Beijing
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Nasir and Kevin,

I am wondering if anything came out of your e-mail exchange that you'd like to copy here for the benefit of all, so that we can all learn together?
(in general, if a question is posted on the forum, it's nice to keep the discussions online, rather than going offline via e-mail, unless it's something confidential or a consulting job or alike)

If the city is 100% sewered then why not connect new developments also to the sewer network? Or is it impossible because the sewers and treatment plants are already overloaded? Would the collected fecal sludge be co-treated at the sewage treatment plants or treated separately?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• nasirsahar
    Topic Author

Hi Kevin Tyler,

Nice to see your reply. I am from India, and working with a local government in Gujrat State. The city has well developed road and housing infrastructure ( almost 100% sewerage). However, due to being an most economic urban center, there is huge private sector investment in housing /multistories, apartments, gates communities. The population is over two million and its increasing rapidly due to regional migration.

Lets exchange our email IDs so that I share more specification with you. My email ID is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. WhatsApp/Mobile No. : (0091) 7042020128

I am glad to see that your expertise and interest are same as mine.

Regards,

• kevintayler
  • I am a water and sanitation engineer, also interested in general urban housing issues. In recent years, I have worked on FSM for various organizations

Dear Nasiruddin

It would be good to know more about the situation in the town that you are investigating. I would guess from your name that you are somewhere in South Asia, perhaps in Pakistan, Bangladesh or Northern India. In many towns in those areas, people discharge excreta to drainage systems, sometimes via crude septic tanks, even where there are no formal sewers.

The first thing that you need to look at will probably be demand for emptying services. In the northern part of South Asia, my experience is that there are very few FSM tanker services and this suggests to me that demand is limited, mainly because existing systems are already 'off-site', even if informally so. In theory, there would be little need for FSM in areas that are formally sewered, although there may be issues with sewerage if the topography is flat and pumping is neglected.

If you can provide some more information about the situation that you are dealing with, I will try to give some more specific advice

Best wishes

Kevin Tayler
Kevin Tayler
Independent water and sanitation consultant
Horsham
UK

• nasirsahar
    Topic Author

Application of FSM in sewered areas?

I am working on FSM ideation for a city which are already sewered. The city municipality is interested for FSM, however, they want to understand how would it be possible for areas where there is already sewered system.

I would like to understand your advises and any resources/ case studies if you can provide?

Kind regards,
Nasiruddin Nasir

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds