FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management

45.7k views

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management

Dear SuSana Members.

It is a good opportunity for Lead Members of SuSana Forum, responding on Themes, to post Abstracts on subjects they are familiar with.

Sub- Themes under FSM5 may be chosen and submissions are done to the concerned.

Well wishes.
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India
The following user(s) like this post: Fahim1988

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

I can't agree more.

Just see this notice. Is it possible to postpone the deadline? Maybe in August or September 2020

Kind regards

Shikun
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• Lars
  • consultant, engineer, researcher, data enthusiast, #rstats

Thank you for the info, Shobana. That is exciting news. I have a few follow-up questions which I will also send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . I am posting them here, as I think answers to these questions might also be helpful for other authors that consider publishing in this Special Issue.

Questions:

1. I have looked up the guidelines of the Journal . Under 'Submission Details', an author checklist can be accessed. Under '20) Manuscript length:' I see three types of articles that can be submitted. (1) Full length article (< 8000 words); (2) Short communication (< 3500 words); (3) Literature review (< 20000 words). Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that we are supposed to submit the FSM5 abstract as submitted to fsm5.susana.org/en/. Are we required to rewrite the abstract into a complete research article that fits one of these categories?

2. How can someone submit a paper to this Special Edition without having been selected as a FSM5 presenter? I define presenter here as
anyone that has authored/co-authored an abstract that was selected for presentation at the conference.

3. How come that start of submission has been 1st February 2020 and acceptance is on a "first-come-first-serve basis", but this was shared for the first time now, leaving 6 weeks until the submission deadline?

4. Are those that submitted abstracts to the conference going to be informed by email that this opportunity exists? How would someone that does not actively monitor the SuSanA Forum get to know about this opportunity?

Thank you
Lars

• shobana
  • WASH professional currently focussed on sanitation operator partnerships and CWIS

Dear FSM5 Presenters and Authors, 

Greetings from FSM5 conference committee, SuSanA and FSM Alliance!

Asa follow-up to the FSM5 conference held in the city of Cape Town, SouthAfrica (18-22 February 2019) and for broader dissemination, the FSM Conference Committee has been officially approved to publish a special edition for FSM5 authors by the Journal of Environmental Management.  The special edition is limited to 40 papers on a first-come-first-serve basis with priority given to the FSM5 presenters, but everyone is encouraged to apply.

The special edition will have papers from the three tracks of FSM5; case studies, industry and applied research. FSM5 authors who are interested in submitting a full paper, please reference the submission instructions in the 'call for paper' attachment below.

Submission process

-    Papers should be submitted via ees.elsevier.com/jema/default.asp
-   Authors should select FSM5: Faecal Sludge Management, when they reach
the “Article Type” step in the submission process. 
-   The manuscripts should fully comply with the guidelines of the Journal.
Important dates:
Start of submission: 1 February 2020
Submission deadline: 1 June 2020
Final decision notification deadline: 15 August 2020

If you have any further questions, please contact FSMA -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Regards,
Shobana 
Shobana Srinivasan
Programme Management Officer
UN Habitat/ GWOPA

• Hans Christian Dworak
  • Intern SuSanA Secretariat

Re: FSM5 Conference Materials

Dear All,

the thematic papers from the FSM5 conference are now available in the library:

www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3741

The thematic papers address the four following themes:
- Private Sector Engagement
- Emerging Approaches in Regulation
- Sanitation Workers
- Behaviour Change and Communication for FSM

Table of Content:
1. FSM5 Private Sector V4 - Working with the Private Sector to meet the Challenges of
non-sewered Sanitation.
2. KE Regulating FSM-Emerging approaches - Regulating FSM: Emerging approaches.
3. FSM5 Sanitation Workers V3 - Improving the conditions of sanitation workers: the
missing link in the sanitation chain.
4. FSM5 BCC for FSM V4 - Targeted messages that shift attitudes and behaviour are
essential for good FSM.

Best regards,
Christian (on behalf of the secretariat)

• shobana
  • WASH professional currently focussed on sanitation operator partnerships and CWIS

Dear Lars,

Here's the link to the app.
as5fsm5.com/app/

Regarding the journal, yes - there are no updates yet regarding the special edition. Selected abstracts would receive notifications via email for publishing their work. Konstantina at UKZN is working on it .
You could write to FSMA for a detailed update . This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best
Shobana
Shobana Srinivasan
UN Habitat/ GWOPA

• Lars

Hi Christian
Hi Shobana

Thank you both for your responses. I am looking forward to seeing the four publications. Could you please provide a link to the fsm5-as5 webapp? Unfortunately, I cannot find it anymore.

I remember at the time of submission and during the conference there was some discussion about an opportunity to publish abstracts as part of a special issue for a journal. Has that been reconsidered?

Best
Lars

• shobana

Dear Lars,

There are no conference proceedings containing all abstracts for FSM5. All abstracts are available in the fsm5-as5 webapp that was set up for the conference.
However, there are four thematic papers that would be published as an output in the next weeks (same as what Christian mentioned above).
If you would like to take a look at all the selected abstracts, please find them attached .
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Best
Shobana
Shobana Srinivasan
UN Habitat/ GWOPA

This message has attachments files.

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear Lars,

I apologise for the late reply. Unfortunately I cannot tell you yet, if the abstracts will be published. But in the upcoming days 4 summary papers of FSM5 will be released (Private Sector Engagement, Sanitation Workers, Behaviour Change and Communication for FSM, Emerging Approaches in Regulation). I will post them here once they are available.

Best regards,
Christian
on behalf of the secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Lars

Hi All,

I was wondering if the FSM5 abstracts are also published online as they have been for previous FSM conferences?

For example, FSM4: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2733

Lars

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Hi Everyone,

For those interested, you can now find the documentation for FSM5 ready to download!

The session presentations can be found here: fsm5.susana.org/en/downloads/conference-materials

Best regards,
Paula

- On behalf of the Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: 5th International Faecal Sludge Management Conference / AfricaSan - feedback

I always enjoy reading other people's feedback about a conference. This blog post by Sally Cawood is well worth a read:

FSM5 and AfricaSan5 2019: Highlights and Key Takeaways
wash.leeds.ac.uk/fsm5-and-africasan5-201...s-and-key-takeaways/

I saw it via this tweet:
@SallyCawood, Research Fellow in Urban Sanitation, sums up her experiences from the @FSM5_Capetown and @africasan5 conferences.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds