what is the best method of wastewater treatment in low economy countries (for irrigation reuse)

Page selection:
  • Nebiyat

Re: what is the best method of wastewater treatment in low economy countries (for irrigation reuse)

Hi Nancy,
I just want to tell you from my experience of using source separated human urine. We just teach the farmers to collect their family urine in jerrycans and we fill the jerrycans and sealed them for few months. And we use the sanitized urine from pathogenic organisms for irrigation. But here pharmaceuticals can be main concerns unless you choose people who do not take medication to donate urine.

By the way, the storage of human urine in a sealed container for a few months can kill most of the pathogenic microorganisms. Storing for six months kills almost all creature in urine. All the information I am telling you is found in Ecosan, 2011 publication. Please read it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Re: what is the best method of wastewater treatment in low economy countries (for irrigation reuse)

Hi Nancy,
There are plenty of resources around, including my own at vermifilter.com, and there is a summary of the technology on Wikipedia. The abundant academic studies all fall short on the initial design of their study vermifilters (these do not have ventilation to the sides and bottom of the reactor). There are plenty of startups in India patenting their designs, keeping secrets from each other and each claiming the best technology.

The most useful masters study you could do is documenting the decline of worm eggs over time. I can't do that here in New Zealand because all my toilets are free of roundworms. This is because we broke the parasitic worm cycle decades ago by removing open defecation from our society.

What you need to know in India is how long it takes for the decomposed fecal material in the primary digester to be free of helminth eggs .  This might take two years and you will need material from a twin digester, one where that material has rested for the specified period of time without adding fresh material. This might be two years or more so think about your experimental design.

cheers
Dean
Dean Satchell, M For. Sc.
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

• nancysam
    Topic Author
  • hello, I'm Nancy from India I like to learn and build new and innovative technologies for wastewater treatment and study about sustainable development. I'm currently pursuing my masters and I would further like to study and develop myself as an independent researcher in the near future.

Greetings Dean Satchel thanks for your reply to my concern,vermi filtration   sounds great could you provide me with a few resources where I can read and learn more about it 
P.N.Samyukta

• goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Hi Nancy,
vermifiltration is by far the best technology because treatment is to a high level i.e. sufficient for agricultural re-use (irrigation to plants) and at a very low cost. Vermifiltration is also the best treatment technology for land disposal because plant nutrients (especially nitrogen) are retained.
cheers
Dean
Dean Satchell, M For. Sc.
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com
The following user(s) like this post: Dantugli, Heiner, nancysam

• nancysam
    Topic Author
  • hello, I'm Nancy from India I like to learn and build new and innovative technologies for wastewater treatment and study about sustainable development. I'm currently pursuing my masters and I would further like to study and develop myself as an independent researcher in the near future.

what is the best method of wastewater treatment in low economy countries (for irrigation reuse)

What is the current best water treatment method that is available in the market today? why and why not? are there any improvements to be made in the current waste water treatment methods available today? what are the exact drawbacks that we face in our society today
as per a scientific research membrane based technologies were said to be the best water treatment methods that were available today but a reverse osmosis membrane costs very high and cant be used to purify millions of liters of wastewater. In case we use untreated water for irrigation the outcome from the crops is again consumed by humans and this causes many health issues, if this untreated water is discharged into the rivers fish get affected and again humans who consume fish are affected eg: minamata disease in Japan. Please suggest and discuss what is the best method of wastewater treatment in low economy countries/families who cant afford bare minimum but deserve every right to clean drinking water and clean food.
P.N.Samyukta
The following user(s) like this post: Dantugli

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds