Requesting literature on cocomposting Faecal sludge

13.5k views

Page selection:
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Re: Requesting literature on cocomposting Faecal sludge

I agree with you. I am currently working on this only.
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear Ms N Chandana.
SuSana Member, RA at CTARA IIT B wth Prof Bakul Rao.

Appreciative of the notings on the FSM Poster.

Direct on field discharge of FS will not yield good results. However it is suggested that if some pre-treatment is done on the field and then the FS is applied on the measured area of the fallow agri farm land with some % of cattle dung mixture (gobar)and bio- veg mass spread prior application of FS.

The above would have co composting of the admixed wastes, in situ on field itself, done for a period of 2 -3 weeks with average solar heat for 4 hrs daily. Water- Spray moisture as required may be done.

Post process, all tests are done especially to check bacterio, e coli and others presence.

The do-able practices suggested for bio remediation of FS under FSM process.

Well wishes .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear SuSana Member Ms N Chandana

I have appreciation in your approach to the ongoing R & D which you are carrying out.

I have experienced this FSM practices in communities, at best if a proportion of cattle dung and bio mass ex greens Etc are admixed, it goes through a better process under solar- heat too.

If the produces are compliant and bacteriologically remedied, adds to the reliability of the Project.

Another field, which you have shown interest is on SWM ie Landfill management, a lot needs to be done. Especially at NCR, which has 7 odd ghastly waste mounts spewing inflow of foul gases into the Indian capital city.

Well wishes
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

I recently presented a poster on FSM, in workshop "URBAN & RURAL CHALLENGES IN MANAGEMENT OF SOLID WASTE IN INDIA: A CIRCULAR ECONOMY APPROACH TO BUILDING SMART HABITATS" .
Please find the attachment.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Thank you very much. It is very helpful. I will do it as soon as my compiling of all data is done.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Chandana,

I recently came across this presentation and thought of your request for literature: "Findings from Co-Composting Operations at a Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP), Devanahalli, India"
Here is the link: fsm5.susana.org/images/FSM_Conference_Ma...ting-Devanahalli.pdf

It was presented at the FSM5 Conference (fsm5.susana.org/en/downloads/conference-materials).

They used:
• Aerobic Windrow method
• Proportioned (MSW:FS ratio)
• Periodical turning

FEED STOCKS USED
1. Municipal Solid waste (Segregated)
2. Coconut Coir
3. Paddy Straw
4. Faecal Sludge
5. Leaf Litters

PARAMETER CONTROLLED:
1. Temperature
2. Moisture content
3. FS:MSW ratio
4. Turning frequency

For pathogen destruction they found:

Ascaris Lumbricoides Eggs: Death is less than 1 hour at temperature over 50° C

They also used effective microorganisms (EM) - something which I am sceptical about. This reminds me of a previous discussion: forum.susana.org/70-composting-processes...s-or-other-additives

And also this one from Nepal ("Faecal sludge reuse in Birendranagar, Nepal: a case study of the world health organisation's multiple barrier approach" - "A novel FS treatment process based on fermentation by ‘effective organisms’ (EM) was piloted to test the feasibility, safety and acceptability of the resulting fertilizer." (fermentation is not composting though):
forum.susana.org/280-faecal-sludge-treat...ple-barrier-approach

By the way, when you do your literature search, don't limit yourself to "co-composting" as people also use the term "composting of faecal sludge" like e.g. here: forum.susana.org/70-composting-processes...sludge-mobile-toilet

Please post the results of your literature review here later for the benefit of everyone. :-)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Thanks a lot.
I have this book. Just forgot to mention in the list.
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Chandana,
Just remember to also include the two different spellings (American and English) during your searches, i.e. "fecal" and "faecal" (bit annoying to have these two different spellings for such an important word! :-) )

Another main difference between straight faeces (from dry toilets) and faecal sludge (from pit latrines) is that faecal sludge has heaps more water in it. Hence, a dewatering step is usually needed before you can do the composting.

Despite these differences there are probably also quite some similarities in composting the two materials (once you have brought them to the same water content).

Oh and you didn't have this book in your initial list:
Tayler, K. (2018). Faecal Sludge and Septage Treatment - A guide for Low and Middle Income Countries. Practical Action Publishing Ltd, Rugby, Warwickshire, UK, ISBN: 978-1-85339-986-2
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3439

Let us know how you get on with your research and make sure you post here when you publish something yourself. :-)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• joeturner

Ok. Good luck with you literature review.

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Thank you, Joeturner.
I could found few new papers in the link you posted.

Regards
Chandana

• joeturner

Ok. It would be interesting to see if there is the distinction you are making in the literature.

I think you are talking about large scale windrows of collected faeces in contrast to onsite composting toilets.

There appear to be hundreds of papers when I specify "faecal sludge" composting

link here

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Faeces is fresh organics removed from human body, it has property of degrading. In case of faecal sludge it comes from different onsite systems, where degradation, mineralisation and consolidation has occurred. So they are composting will be totally different as C:N ratio and organic matter content will be different.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds