Development & Management of “Natural Water Resource” in Shape of Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting

Page selection:
  • pcnayak1971
    Topic Author
  • A multi disciplinary civil engineer cum architecture I am working in the sector of Water Resource Management, WASH, Wastewater Management, Livelihood, since 2001 as WATSAN, also I was working with watershed management, irrigation development, community drinking water, soil & water conservation, NRM, climate change mitigation, etc.

Re: Development & Management of “Natural Water Resource” in Shape of Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting

Dear Paresh,

Yes you are correct that now a days many governments make it mandatory and it should be. We should plan to have "Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting System" in every possible house and should use that harvested water in that area itself. 

My intention was not like that. After having 21 years experience about the subject, I am quoting this because I am intend to say that this is a ideal size of the catchment for the said areas and in between we have to think about the semi-arid area also and also for high intensity area, i.e. high rainfall area. With the told catchment area we could have a better result.

Thanking you,
Prakash Chandra Nayak
Civil Engineer (Technical Head-WASH & IWRM)
Water For People

CDOT
Behind SBI
Gola Road, Patna-801503
Bihar
Cell : +918249738398

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Development & Management of “Natural Water Resource” in Shape of Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting

Dear Prakash,
Welcome to the forum.

As you may already know, many local governments now mandate property developers to harvest rainwater. You said

The survey of catchment area and from my experiences it should be minimum 100 M2 in the area where the annual average rainfall is greater than equal to 1,350 mm. and for arid zone where the rainfall is less than 700 mm. the catchment should not be less than 200 M2

Do you imply that rainwater from rooftops measuring less than 100 or 200 sq m should not be harvested or is it not feasible in your experience? 

Perhaps, videos (like one below) by Vishwanath aka Zenrainman would interest you

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• pcnayak1971
    Topic Author
  • A multi disciplinary civil engineer cum architecture I am working in the sector of Water Resource Management, WASH, Wastewater Management, Livelihood, since 2001 as WATSAN, also I was working with watershed management, irrigation development, community drinking water, soil & water conservation, NRM, climate change mitigation, etc.

Dear Ross Bowen,

It seems, you are quite a experienced fellow in water resource sector. Thanks a Lot for your comment. You are saying about something double way of filtration. This is very much needed for conserving rainwater for human consumption and as well as for groundwater recharge. Here I am designing doubly activated carbon filter as per site condition. This is I think same as you mentioned, is not it? In India the annual average rainfall varies from 100-11,861 mm. So, we have to think about the same at the time of implementation.

Thanking you with best regards,

Prakash
Prakash Chandra Nayak
Water For People

CDOT
Behind SBI
Gola Road, Patna-801503
Bihar

• bowenarrow

Rainwater Harvesting is widely used in Australia in both cities and regions. My family has been living on rainwater for 50 years even though we have a mains water supply. We prefer the rainwater and use a 2 stage underbench filter to polish what is a good and healthy method of water supply. The irony is our towns and cities are being subject to water restrictions in these climate change environments.
Benefits are enormous and my dream for the future is that this will become mainstream and the disposal of our wastes are recyled and returned to enrich our barren soils via urine separation and solids composting. 

• pcnayak1971
    Topic Author

Development & Management of “Natural Water Resource” in Shape of Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting

Natural Water Resource Management through Rooftop Rainwater Harvesting is the technique through which rain water is captured from the rooftop catchments and stored in a designated reservoir. Harvested rainwater can be stored for future use and in subsurface groundwater reservoir by adopting artificial recharge techniques.

• The survey of catchment area and from my experiences it should be minimum 100.00 Min the area where the annual average rainfall is greater than equal to 1,350 mm. and for arid zone where the rainfall is less than 700 mm. the catchment should not be less than 200.00 M2.
  • The catchment should have rectify measures if required
  • The down gutter drain in the roof should be well designed
  • Can be channelize through one filter or two depending upon impurities
As rainwater is usually free from impurities except those picked up by rain from the atmosphere, but the quality of rainwater may deteriorate during harvesting, storage and household use. Generally, as a practitioner I came to know that it is free from many chemical & bacteriological contamination; as a result of that we could able to use that for consumption with a minimum treatment. We should think about the same.
Prakash Chandra Nayak
Water For People

CDOT
Behind SBI
Gola Road, Patna-801503
Bihar
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds