A Kerala civic body is distributing 5,000 menstrual cups for free (India)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: A Kerala civic body is distributing 5,000 menstrual cups for free

This is a very interesting initiative. I'd love to find out more about how it goes. Giving things away for free can be tricky - will the cups really be used as intended? Will women cherish them and love them or half-heartedly try and then throw them away. I think menstrual cups are a wonderful thing. I have been using them myself for a decade or so.

Do we have anyone in Kerala who could find out more for us? It's taking place in Alappuzha Municipality.

These sentences were interesting:

"Thinkal" is a joint venture where the civic body has joined hands with HLL Lifecare Limited (formerly Hindustan Latex Ltd ), who produce the cups. The project is funded by the CSR Initiative of Coal India Ltd (CIL) - another government-run company.

"An average woman uses at least 156 napkins a year, while a menstrual cup can be used for five or six years. If 5,000 women start using cups, the use of around 39 lakh pads can be avoided," Jahamgeer said.

I wonder how much they produce those cups for, and if they are made from Latex (medical grade silicon is better as far as I know).

Anyone wants to learn more about menstrual cups, see here on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: povington

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Brikom
  • Topic Author

A Kerala civic body is distributing 5,000 menstrual cups for free

Note by moderator (EvM): the following is a news article from The New Indian Express (the article itself includes further links to other articles)
www.newindianexpress.com/good-news/2019/...res-why-1991887.html

++++++++++++

Probably in a first, a civic body in the country is distributing menstrual cups for women - for free. The Alappuzha Municipality in Kerala( South India) has launched "Project Thinkal which means Moon in Malayalam because women in old days used to look at the moon to calculate their menstrual cycle" with the objective of encouraging the use of these cups instead of non-biodegradable sanitary pads.

During the first phase of the programme,5,000 menstrual cups will be distributed for free to female residents. 280 cups have been distributed already - just two days after the launch, Municipal secretary Jahamgeer S has said in a press release.
"Thinkal" is a joint venture where the civic body has joined hands with HLL Lifecare Limited (formerly Hindustan Latex Ltd ), who produce the cups. The project is funded by the CSR Initiative of Coal India Ltd (CIL) - another government-run company.

"An average woman uses at least 156 napkins a year, while a menstrual cup can be used for five or six years. If 5,000 women start using cups, the use around 39 lakh pads can be avoided," Jahamgeer said.

"Menstrual cups are very hygienic and convenient than sanitary pads. But they are only available on e-commerce platforms. But then HLL came forward and agreed to manufacture them for us. We are also grateful to the CIL for funding the project," he added.

The HLL-Alappuzha Municipality camaraderie goes all the way back to the great floods of 2018, a disaster that severely affected the district. Thousands were forced out of their homes and around 47 relief camps were opened in the Municipality limits alone. The disposal of sanitary pads from the camps was a major concern for the local authorities, before HLL gifted them incinerators to burn these.

"That was when this thought was born. Sanitary pads won't get decomposed even after remaining in the soil for many years," Jahamgeer said.

However, the biggest challenge in front of the Municipality is the huge popularity of napkins among women. Menstrual cups, meanwhile, are yet to enter the mainstream.

To counter this shortcoming and to spread awareness about the cups, the civic body has opened a help centre which has been receiving many calls.

The cups are made available in front of the Municipality office and at the Kudumbashree/CDS office at Kaichoondy Junction.

"Our aim is to make this campaign a huge success that the whole country can adopt it. It won't be halted midway no matter what happens. We will try to reach out to the entire women-population in our limits," Municipal Chairman Thomas Joseph said.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: GiacomoVecchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds