Joint Webinar on the feasibility of implementing decentralized wastewater treatment systems in developing countries?

18.8k views

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Joint Webinar on Treatment Systems?

Madam.

Its a honour to be chosen to be a part of Webinar for Dewats in Developing World.

Will provide you the inputs required for the conducting of desired Webinar
I have been associated with thse type of natural treatment since 2000 or so.

Pl feel free to be in touch, with specifics needed and will arrange do the needful.

With well wishes for Community good

Prof Ajit Seshadri, Chennai, INDIA .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Alice
    Topic Author

Dear Prof. Sheshari,

thank you for the reminder and for taking up this joint effort again.
From our project side, Sanitation for Millions is waiting to see results from constructing DEWATS in Pakistan, to share the experiences through a webinar.
What type of input would you like to suggest from your side?

Best,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

Department Climate, Environment and Infrastructure
Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear SuSanA members.

It is nearly an year since we discussed on having a Webinar or equivelant.
I am with you all to partake in same.

As the subject is apt, it needs to be deliberated, so that Members are aware of easily do-able initiatives in communities for improving QoL quality of living, Etc.

Well wishes .
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Alice,
I am just wondering what came out of the planning for this joint webinar on implementing decentralised wastewater treatment systems in developing countries? You had quite a few people interested in presenting and participating.

I see you had a webinar in August specifically for the situation in Jordan (using Results from the conceptual study Integrated Wastewater Treatment Systems for Small Communities in Ba’oon and Rasoon Villages in Ajloun Governorate and Al-Raieh and Al-Jubbah Villages in Jerash Governorate): forum.susana.org/229-dewats-decentralise...tation-now-available

Is that a smaller version of what you originally had in mind or would it form part of a series of webinars you are planning on hosting?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• AjitSeshadri

Dear Ms Alice.
Thanks for your email.
Will be a honour and a pleasure to participate as a Speaker at Webinar.
My email ID ... This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ...
My mob no. +919840226049
I am at Chennai in State of Tamil Nadu in South India.
If there is a connectivity problem, I will shift to chat mode or sms .. pl.
Pl feel free to be in touch.
With well wishes.

• Alice
    Topic Author

Dear Ajit,

Thank you for your input!
Would you like to join as speaker for the joint webinar as well? Then drop your e-mail contact address and I will add you to the preparational skype call.

Best regards,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• AjitSeshadri

Dear WG4 Members and Dewats practitioners :

We welcome the suggestion to have webinar in Dewats systems in developing countries.

It is seen that in the service delivery of ensuring compliant effluent at waste water flows there is total administrational disregard, lacking in governance and many others.

At best systems that are naturally operating , being low- tech and easy to operate and maintain are well suited.

Also there should be complete involvement of communities in BOM ie in building operating and maintaining the systems.

The resources generated by way of recycled water is to be used in-situ and the value of the benefits realised by community. This ensures longevity and sustainance of the systems.

Well wishes .

• Alice
    Topic Author

Hello Daniel,
thank you for the interesting hint, I will definetly have a closer look at CACTUS and what the University of Leeds is involved in.

Best regards,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437

• ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Dear Alice,
Thanks for kick-starting this initiative.
I am interested in attending and participating in such a webinar and I think it would be useful for many people.
Leeds University is currently doing a project on costing for urban sanitation systems (CACTUS - Climate and Costs in Urban Sanitation - www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database/details/398 ). I think you should engage them as they could have some interesting insights to share with regards to costing aspects for decentralized systems. I think Prof. Barbara Evans is leading the project.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

• denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Hi alice

Have emailed Skype username to you

Dennis
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns

• Alice
    Topic Author

Dear all,

thank you so much for all this great support and your contributions and ideas.
I suggest we take this conversation to a joint skype call during which we will determine the agenda and the speakers for the webinar.
Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., we can skype Thursday morning this week or friday afternoon.

Cheers,
Alice
Alice Giulia Brandt
Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
The following user(s) like this post: aboniphace

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

If you are putting such a webinar together I suggest you also take a look at this thread which was started by Dennis (ex-BORDA):
forum.susana.org/wastewater-characterisa...developing-countries (Communal wastewater characteristics and population equivalents in developing countries). In his post from 26 September (forum.susana.org/wastewater-characterisa...tries?start=12#26150) he posted a list of literature. Going through that list you get a good overview of all the active players in the field of decentralised wastewater treatment systems, which you might consider including in such a webinar, e.g.:
- BORDA
- Uni KwaZulu Natal
- Marcos von Sperling
- The EAWAG/SANDEC ESRISS-project
- Pieter Crous
- Nicolas Reynaud

You can find more by filtering the library for decentralised treatment systems (only 6 entries to far though, I thought we had more): www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...4&vbl_2%5B%5D=&test=

Or by filtering the project database by the same gives you these 41 projects:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects...4&vbl_2%5B%5D=&test=

Of course we also have a Wikipedia article on this topic (which needs further improvement):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_wastewater_system

If you have a webinar that's great. Please use it to galvanise some energy to add to forum discussions, library collection, project database and Wikipedia article(s) so that the benefits of such a webinar go beyond the 60 minutes of attending the live session. Thanks!

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: fppirco

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds