Status of sustainable sanitation chain in rural, semi-urban, and urban regions: a case study of Maharashtra, India

Page selection:
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Re: Status of sustainable sanitation chain in rural, semi-urban, and urban regions: a case study of Maharashtra, India

Dear Debasree

Thanks. Indeed Faecal sludge management is need of the hour for India. 

Regards
Chandana
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • debasreep23
  • I am R&D Associate at BlueDrop Environ. I have completed my doctorate in Waste management from IIT Roorkee. I worked on the treatment facet of waste as well as faecal sludge management. I am looking for potential postdoctoral positions in the area of waste/faecal sludge management.

Re: Status of sustainable sanitation chain in rural, semi-urban, and urban regions: a case study of Maharashtra, India

This a great piece of work Chandana. The sanitation sector in India needs to prioritize FS treatment, proper designing of septic tanks and possible ways of valorizing FS material. These are real mandates for actual success of ODF India. The work has brought to light the real on ground situation and is a great contribution. 
--
Kind Regards,
Dr. Debasree Purkayastha
R&D Associate, BlueDrop Environ
www.bluedropwetlands.com
| Google scholar | scholar.google.com/citations?user=CiD64xUAAAAJ&hl=en |
| LinkedIn | www.linkedin.com/in/debasreepenvirontmentalengg/ |
| Researchgate | www.researchgate.net/profile/Debasree_Purkayastha2 |
The following user(s) like this post: Chandana

• Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Status of sustainable sanitation chain in rural, semi-urban, and urban regions: a case study of Maharashtra, India

Dear all,

Kindly provide your valuable feedback on my recent publication. 

Abstract:
Since 2014, the Government of India has constructed millions of toilets with onsite containment technology, OCT  (i.e., pit latrines and septic tanks). In this study, a detailed analysis of the toilets built, people’s awareness about the existing sanitation system, and faecal sludge management (FSM) in rural, semi-urban, and urban areas of Maharashtra, India was done by carrying out a household (HH) survey and interviews with stakeholders. In the surveyed areas, open defaecation (OD) has been eliminated and an individual HH toilet with OCT is the most common sanitation available. The rural area has no FSM facilities. The semi-urban area has a very little faecal sludge (FS) collection by private agencies, while the urban area has a government-aided FS collection system. However, the semi-urban and urban areas have no disposal or treatment facility for the FS collected. In the urban area, irregular emptying of FS has triggered 7% of the HHs to practise OD and 29% of the HHs use manual labour for emptying the OCT. This study can help practitioners, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations to understand the ground reality for establishing/modifying FSM rules and regulations for Indian conditions.

Please find the full paper in below link.
"iwaponline.com/washdev/article/11/1/112/...ation-chain-in-rural"
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.
The following user(s) like this post: debasreep23

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds