Please take our short Sanitation Wikipedia survey - last opportunity until end of the week

• muench
    Topic Author
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Please take my short Sanitation Wikipedia survey!

Please take our short Sanitation Wikipedia survey: I am interested to hear your feedback regarding sanitation-related content in the English language Wikipedia.

Here is the survey link: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPTgI9...0vLvJVfHIeQ/viewform

The survey is only 10 questions long and will take about 2-4 minutes to complete. Anyone can fill in the survey, whether you are a user of Wikipedia or not.

This survey is part of a project on knowledge management led by Stockholm Environment Institute and funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (see here ).

I am collecting survey responses for about 2-3 weeks (hoping for several hundred replies). After the survey is closed I will immediately post the raw results here in this forum thread for all to see.

Thanks for taking the time to fill in my survey! Your answers will help guide me on the future direction of Wikipedia editing work that is desired by SuSanA members and others.

If you have any questions please put them in this thread or e-mail me.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. Previous discussion threads about Wikipedia editing for sanitation content are available here on the forum: forum.susana.org/198-wikipedia .

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
You need to login to reply
  • muench
    Topic Author
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Please take my short Sanitation Wikipedia survey!

Reminder: Can you please still take this survey about sanitation content on Wikipedia? I got so far 146 responses and am grateful for those - some interesting trends are emerging!
Here is the link again: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPTgI9...0vLvJVfHIeQ/viewform

I'd love to get over 500 responses which would be about 5% of all SuSanA members.

It only takes a few minutes and anyone can take the survey - whether you have ever used Wikipedia or not!

Thanks in advance,
Elisabeth

funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
  • samantabb
  • My areas of specialization: Community Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene. My areas of interest: Situation analysis, Project Planning, Appraisal and Evaluation, School Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion

Re: Fw: [WG1] WG 1 members please take my Sanitation Wikipedia survey by 31 Oct

Dear Elisabeth

While I have submitted my answers to your survey I would like to suggest the following. Sanitation is not just excreta snd sewage disposal but should also have Hygiene as an integral part. To me Sanitation is a way of life and may have package of 7 health related components.
1. Safe handing of drinking water from safe source
2. Disposal of waste water
3. Safe disposal of human excreta including child excreta
4. Safe disposal garbage and cattle dung
5. Home Sanitation and Food Hygiene
6. Personal hygiene including hand washing
7. Environmental Sanitation

We should have a holistic approach to sanitation as stated above. Hope this may be considered for the document you are trying bring out.
Please let me have your feed back.

WarM regds
BBSamanta, PhD

B. B. Samanta, PhD
(The theme of my PhD related to technology transfer in rural water supply and sanitation in India with focus on the role of UNICEF, Berhampur University, India (1997))

Consultant, formerly UNICEF
Odisha, India

Post-graduate Diploma in Community Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene from Loughborough University of Technology, UK (1993)

Post-graduate Diploma in National Economic Planning (Regional Planning Specialization) from Central School of Planning & Statistics, Warsaw, Poland (1973)

Master of Commerce (Economics specialization) from Allahabad University, India...
  • muench
    Topic Author

Re: Fw: [WG1] WG 1 members please take my Sanitation Wikipedia survey by 31 Oct

Dear BB Samanta!

Thanks for taking our Sanitation Wikipedia survey (we are now at 230 responses - half way to our aim of 500 responses!).

I agree with you that sanitation is a very broad topic, or in fact that it is linked to many topics. That's why within the work of Wikipedia editing we have set up a "WikiProject Sanitation". For this project, we have added a tag to every Wikipedia article that is even remotely connected to sanitation. We have tagged about 550 articles so far. You can see here which ones are most popular (i.e. those receiving the highest number of views on a monthly basis):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProj...tation#By_popularity

Or direct link here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProj...tation/Popular_pages

See here a screenshot showing you the Top-20 (find more by clicking on the link above). You see a huge variety of topics but all related to sanitation, including the Wikipedia article on Bill Gates! As you can imagine this equals to lots of work to improve all those sanitation-related Wikipedia articles.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. For anyone who hasn't taken the survey yet, here is the link: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPTgI9...0vLvJVfHIeQ/viewform
Please take it!

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Attachments:
  • muench
    Topic Author

Re: Please take our short Sanitation Wikipedia survey!

We are still collecting responses to our short Sanitation Wikipedia survey. Please take a few moments now to fill in the survey. It would really help me a lot.

We have 242 responses so far.

Perhaps I can get you curious and keen to contribute by sharing an interim result with you here:

--> A lot of SuSanA members use Wikipedia a lot: either daily or weekly.

Thanks for your time! Here is the link again: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPTgI9...0vLvJVfHIeQ/viewform

Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Attachments:
  • muench
    Topic Author

Re: Please take our short Sanitation Wikipedia survey - last opportunity until end of the week

This is a final opportunity to fill in our Sanitation Wikipedia survey! I'd like to hear from you, even if you are not a Wikipedia user. I have extended the deadline to the end of this week as I am determined to get at least 300 responses (264 responses so far).

Please participate in this survey to help shape the future direction of Wikipedia editing work for WASH!

Survey link:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPTgI9...0vLvJVfHIeQ/viewform

Thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S.
Here is what some of the respondents have said so far in response to the question:
9. What kind of improvements would you like to see done on sanitation-related content in Wikipedia?
(I'll later on group the responses by type of reply)

- More sourced information
- Making technical content accessible to non-technical audiences
- More illustrations be included
- I wouldn't consult wikipedia for any substantial information about anything, but only for general interest.
- 1. Consistency. Due to user generated content, some pages are good and some are weak. So consistent quality content on sanitation.
- 2. Links. Wikipedia is great for high level and general info, not so great for deeper insight. So links to more technical or detailed articles, resources, case studies etc would be great. Unfortunately there are so many different platforms for sanitation info and Google is so commercial and limited now, its hard to sometimes find the specific info one is looking for.
- 3. Timeliness: Wikipedia is best used like World Book--but that can make info outdated. This may be ok for general users, but keeping information current will make it more useful for WaSH professionals.
- 4. Authenticity: One challenge with Wikipedia is low confidence in authenticity and accuracy because the source of info is often unknown--unless one checks every reference which is impractical. So putting on each page the names / positions of those who have whetted and validated the information will inspire confidence.
- more ecological information and environmental factors
- Having more reliable information, confirmed by expert, and more linked to external literrature as well as some more explanatory pictures or even video.
- Comprehensive document based on good illustration
- Appropriate technologies for region/ hydro geological conditions based,
- To have more sanitation and sustainability related content updated and new articles
- Make it more known

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.737 seconds