I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

Elisabeth,

Apologies. I was hurrying.

Yes. UDDT = urine-diverting dry toilet.

Does it make sense to put urine-diverting dry toilet (UDDT) in first mention in a text and thereafter UDDT?

Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

But I mean in sentence when we feel like spelling out the abbreviation?
I would write: "They have built new urine-diverting dry toilets", rather than "They have built new Urine-Diverting Dry Toilets". Do you tend to agree? Maybe that's what you meant with your reply but I wasn't sure.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

I tend not to agree. UDDT is established and clear.

Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

Dear Chris (Canaday) and all,

We are both doing edits on Wikipedia these days (which is great) and I notice that I often find myself changing your way of referring to different toilet types. So I would like to reach a consensus here with everyone to avoid frustrations.

So for example in the captions of images of the dry toilet article (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_toilet), you wrote:
"A Urine-diverting Dry Toilet, with a funnel to catch that golden fluid on the left."

I made it:
"A urine-diverting dry toilet, with a funnel to catch urine is also a dry toilet."

Or in another caption you wrote:
A Bucket Toilet, which is also a type of Container-based Toilet.

I made it:
A container-based toilet or bucket toilet, another type of dry toilet.

I don't see a reasoning for using capital letters here? Am I missing something? We also don't say "A Flush Toilet is a method of xxx".

Strangely, it does seem that Arborloo is always written with a capital A (?), and I am used to that by now.

Looking forward to seeing a discussion on this and then a consensus emerge which we could then stick to. Thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds