Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and FSM - check out the FSM-component in the ECAM-tool

Page selection:
  • ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Re: Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and FSM - check out the FSM-component in the ECAM-tool

Hi Arunkumar,
This may be quite late but I do know that you can use the EASETECH Life cycle assessment model for calculating GHG emissions from an entire solid waste management system. You can find out more about the tool at www.easetech.dk and also get in touch with the team at DTU to learn more. And you can also see several publications with case studies in which the tool has been used. The tool is typically availed free of charge for academic use.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and FSM - check out the FSM-component in the ECAM-tool

Hi Shahidul,
You can download the report from the link that Rémi provided above or here: my.globalwaterintel-insights.com/l/2DC/carbonfootprintwp

It seems that one has to register (for free) to be able to download the report.

Thanks, Rémi for alerting us to this publication!

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Shahidul
  • User

This is very useful for our work in Bangladesh on sanitation. Can I get a copy of this report?

Regards
Shahidul Islam
Project Manager
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• rkaupp
  • Rémi Kaupp Executive Director, Container-Based Sanitation Alliance

This recent publication is excellent on this topic. Depsite the title, it is mostly about sanitation, and despite the subtitle, it is a lot about non-sewered sanitation:
www.globalwaterintel.com/water-without-carbon
Rémi Kaupp
Executive Director, Container-Based Sanitation Alliance
The following user(s) like this post: RanF

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Meike, Ranjin, Arun and Bharat,

Have there been any publications or finished PhD theses from your work on this topic in the meantime? I am interested to see new publications on the topic of GHG emissions from any type of sanitation system. (and in fact also an estimate of GHG emissions from water supply would be useful, too)

I also wrote about it in the other ECAM thread yesterday where I explained why I am asking:

I came back to this thread because I was adding some content about GHG emissions from sanitation to the Wikipedia article on WASH here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASH#Greenhouse_gas_emissions (and also in the Wikipedia article on greenhouse gas emissions  here ).

The new GWP report " 2022 Edition of the Strategic Framework for WASH Climate Resilient Development" ( here ) also has a small section about GHG emissions but relies on previous publications Cheng et al. (2022) and Dickin et al. (2020) (see page 6).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• arunkumarsgs
  • A development professional with more than 2 years of experience in WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) sector. My key qualifications are in the areas of innovation and change in WASH, capacity development and lastly supporting government networks, community based institutions including GPs, VWSCs, SHGs and ULBs for Water and sanitation compliance.

Dear Dr.Bhushan,

Glad to hear from you. My email id- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and contact details- 9655883325. Do mail or call me. Will be glad to meet you in person. Thank you.
Regards,
Arunkumar

WASH Consultant, UNICEF Gandhi Nagar, India
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Lenzen
    Topic Author
  • Hi, I am a Civil Engineer who majored in Water management. Now I am working as reserach associate at TU Berlin and write my PHD about GHG emissions in the water sector, including FSM, Desalination, Reuse,...

Hi,

I came across one tool called "Tool for Calculating Greenhouse Gases (GHG) in Solid Waste Management (SWM)" which was developed by ifeu but already in 2010 (so I am not sure if this is a lot of help).

You can find the tool and information here:
www.ifeu.de/en/project/tool-for-calculat...aste-management-swm/

As far as I know the tool can compare different waste management strategies...
I hope this might help!

Best,
Meike
The following user(s) like this post: arunkumarsgs

• waste123
  • User

Re: Reply: Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and FSM - check out the FSM-component in the ECAM-tool

I am working with GIZ to explore the emissions from waste in Surat city. I have calculated the emissions as part of my initial assessment report.

Do share your details and we can collaborate on this aspect.

Regards,

Dr Bharat Bhushan Nagar
The following user(s) like this post: Prasanta, arunkumarsgs

• arunkumarsgs
  • A development professional with more than 2 years of experience in WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) sector. My key qualifications are in the areas of innovation and change in WASH, capacity development and lastly supporting government networks, community based institutions including GPs, VWSCs, SHGs and ULBs for Water and sanitation compliance.

Dear all,

I am doing a research project on the assessment of GHG emissions from Municipal Solid Waste in Surat Corporation with the support of UNICEF. The assessment mainly intends to measures the GHG emissions at each stage of solid waste management. For instance, emissions during transportation, collection, and treatment. Based on the assessment report, the city with the support of UNICEF is intending to pilot few activities in a ward for reducing GHG emissions.

In this context, I would be interested to know few details from the experts of the community. 
  1. First, Suggestions for a tool that could be used to calculate GHG emissions from Solid waste management especially in the Indian context
  2. Second, a reference result-based action-oriented plan implemented elsewhere for addressing the concerns of GHC emissions of Solid waste management.
  3. Third, reference documents on how to engage the community to segregate waste at the source. What are the tools used and the factors responsible for the change in the behaviour of waste segregation over a period of time.
Looking forwards to the reference. 

Thank you.
Regards,
Arunkumar

WASH Consultant, UNICEF Gandhi Nagar, India
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• RanF

Hi Meike,

sure, we can schedule a call. I'll send you a PM.

Best regards,
Ranjin
Ranjin Fernando
Water & Climate Consultant

• Lenzen
    Topic Author
  • Hi, I am a Civil Engineer who majored in Water management. Now I am working as reserach associate at TU Berlin and write my PHD about GHG emissions in the water sector, including FSM, Desalination, Reuse,...

Hi Ranjin,

Thanks so much for reaching out and reading this post!
Elaine told me that you are the one who developed the FSM component and that I should reach out to you to get more information.
I totally agree that having data is one of the most important things for developing such a tool! And I hope that we can manage to find more utilities to share their experience with us, so that we can make the FSM component as good as possible!

FSM will honestly be only part of my PHD but since its the latest part included into ECAM, I figured I should continue working on this first before starting something else and I am realizing that there is so much to be done in this area!
It would be great to have a call one day and discuss with you!

Best regards,
Meike

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear Meike,

In addition to Ranjin's response. The FSM component of the ECAM was developed under the support of the now-ended German Development Cooperation (GIZ) Climate-friendly Sanitation (CFS) Lusaka Project in Zambia.  The parameters are in a way shaped by the prevailing Onsite Sanitation technologies found in Lusaka, however, the team that worked on developing the FSM component of the tool supported by Ranjin, tried as much as possible to consider all aspects of OSS facilities anywhere in the world.

Assessments for FSM emissions in Lusaka were done as a first pilot, for the Lusaka Water and Sanitation Company's operations and some aspects of the tool are planned for refinement, while a scaleup of assessments is planned for at least an additional 6 of the 11 utilities and towns in Zambia under the new project i.e the Reform of the Water Sector Project II within GIZ.

In addition to the information that Ranjin will provide, I will equally be happy to link you up with the current team who are the custodians of the Lusaka data and are currently working on the scale-up.

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: RanF

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds