Fund raising for UDDT in community after-school (Oaxaca, Mexico)

Page selection:
  • janicatorres
  • Topic Author

Re: Fund raising for UDDT in community after-school (Oaxaca, Mexico)

Hello KaiMikkel,

Thank you for the crowdfunding suggestion. We ended up doing something similar, we are selling art and photography pieces online.
If anyone is interested in chipping in or simply share it with your network, it would be great! Take a look:

zumapoop.wordpress.com/

Canaday,
Thank you for the input. I'll return to the forum with more technical questions when the time comes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Joana,

This Waterless Urinal
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2015/12/un-nuev...inario-sin-agua.html
would work in a kindergarden, with the jugs buried a bit into the ground or with a step next to it ... at least for boys*. For girls, it may need to be angled.

But I especially suggest making urinals with plastic funnels that connect directly to perforated hoses buried 10 cm under the soil (with plastic mesh in the "throat" of the funnel to keep junk out). For girls, this could be an 18 or 25 cm funnel placed at a 45° angle on a lawn with a hedge around it for privacy and would be for use squatting. The one for boys would be at the proper height for them when they are standing. Fruit trees, banana plants and pineapple plants could be placed along the routes of the buried hoses.

Those garbage bins with wheels tend to be expensive. More practical is to collect feces in ubiquitous, inexpensive, woven, polypropylene sacks held open on cheap plastic bins or buckets (or even baskets).

When do we build fancy UDDTs in New York City?

[*Edit: This could be a 25 cm wide step that goes all the way around and helps to hold the jug upright.]

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: KaiMikkel

• KaiMikkel
  • Toilet Activist

Joana,

Congratulations on your project! Have you explored the idea of crowd sourcing to collect the funds that you need? My partner has had much success with this option ( "GoFundMe" in particular) here in Jalisco while fundraising for a women's clinic. Of course, we have a large expat community here which makes it easier. Although, isn't there a small number of expats in Oaxaca too? Possibly something to think about.

Felicidades con su proyecto! Ha usted explorado el idea de "crowd sourcing" a recoger los fundos que necisita usted? Mi pareja ha tener mucho éxito con este opcion ( "GoFundMe" en particular) aqui en Jalisco mientras recaudación de fondos para una clinica de mujeres. Por supuesta tenemos un grande poblacion de extraneros qual hace mas simple. Aunque hay un poblacion pequeno de extraneros in Oaxaca tambien, no? Posiblamente algo sobre lo que pensar....
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• janicatorres
  • Topic Author

Hello Canaday,

Sorry about the delayed answer, I accidentally missed your comment.

I don't have great photos of the full site, but the one in attachment shows a small part of it. The plot has some trees and for sure enough land to distribute the urine. The kids age range between 4 and 10 years old. The Waterless Urinals seem a fabulous idea for kids. I'm not familiar with this solution, I saw one option at inodoroseco.blogspot.com but didn't seem to fit the purpose of a kindergarden. Do you know of more examples that you can share?

In the city, I don't know of UDDT's examples, but according to New York Magazine, it might not take long before we start seeing some examples poping up in the near future:
nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/12-futuristic-p...hange-your-life.html

I also found a neat UDDT unit some weeks ago in upstate NY where people tend to be much more ecologically driven. It uses a trash container with wheels that is moved and substituted by a second one when it's full. Photos in att.

In the meantime we are looking for funding to pay for materials and labor, if anyone knows of grants please let me know.

Thanks,
Joana
Attachments:

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Dear Joana,

Thanks for posting this topic and welcome to the Forum.

I am glad you find my suggestions useful. There are more on inodoroseco.blogspot.com . Also, please let me know if I can help you create new solutions.

One thing that I highly recommend, but that has not been mentioned yet, is the construction of Waterless Urinals at schools (and after-schools). People need to urinate much more frequently than they defecate ... and Waterless Urinals are cheaper, easier, and (if used right) have no fecal germs or odors. Can you please post a photo of the site, so we can see if there is enough room to bury perforated hoses to distribute the urine among fruit trees?

How many kids participate in the center? What is the age range?

It is interesting to see from your webpage that you are based in New York City. I would like to suggest that we build beautiful, aspirational UDDTs there, since it is arguably the cultural capital of the world and many people strive to copy that which happens there. (I even have new designs for high-rise apartment buildings.)

I do not have concrete suggestions on funding, but hopefully other Forum members will.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• janicatorres
  • Topic Author

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for your interest in this project!
To answer your questions, the city infrastructure for water distribution and sanitation is very poor. Most people rely on water tanks that are filled by private companies. In addition, in La Casita's case, it is difficult and costly to connect the toilets to the main municipal waste line due to its remote location.
Dry toilets have been adopted throughout the state of Oaxaca by different organizations, mostly in the outskirts of the city and rural areas. The most common designs that I have seen in the past are the UDDTs with double compost box below. These are promoted through varied institutions and used individuals that are sensitive with environmental issues or that simply have no water/sanitation infrastructure in their villages (Oaxaca is the poorest state of Mexico). From my experience I can say dry toilets are not quite common, but are not foreign to people.
I am attaching two photos of UDDT's that I came across in Oaxaca: One is from Instituto de la Naturaleza y la Sociedad de Oaxaca, the other one (exterior only) is from 8 UDDTs at Organizacion Indigena para los Derechos Humanos de Oaxaca (OIDHO).

The rough budget for the 2 UDDT's, one hand washing station and educational program is $1800. The choice of materials will depend on the funding that is raised. Since this is an after school space that is used by many children I am hoping to use durable materials.

Thanks for the materials from Chris Canaday. We have been using many of the articles available on SuSanA's for construction techniques and for educational strategies for children on how to use UDDT's, it's an amazingly resourceful website!
If you know of any funding opportunities, please let me know!

Thanks again,

Joana Torres
www.oficina-oficina.squarespace.com
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Joana,

Welcome to the forum!
Could you please expand on this statement:

Water is scarce in the area and to build UDDT's makes sense since many people are accustomed to this type of toilets in the area.

Are UDDTs quite common in Oaxaca? If yes, which design and who has been promoting them? How many are there? Could you post some photos?

As you know UDDTs can be built in many different ways, from cheap to expensive. Therefore what kind of budget do you have in mind?

Have you read some of the materials from Chris Canaday who also posts in this forum and who's told us about low-cost UDDTs (from his work in Ecuador) and who has lots of materials in Spanish which might be useful for you. Take a look at some of his previous threads here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/34-uri...-and-ud-flush-toilet

Good luck and hope to hear more from you soon.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• janicatorres
  • Topic Author

Fund raising for UDDT in community after-school (Oaxaca, Mexico)

Hello,

I am an architect that provides design and construction strategies to communities in need.
I was asked by La Casita to provide them with two UDDT stations.
La Casita is a non-profit, free after-school space located in a rural community in Oaxaca, Mexico. La Casita is a huge success in the community but their only toilet room is in very bad shape. Water is scarce in the area and to build UDDT's makes sense since many people are accustomed to this type of toilets in the area.
In parallel we are developing educational activities for kids to teach/remind them how to use and maintain UDDT's.
I am looking for possible grants or other ways to fund this small but promising project. All tips are more than welcome!

Thanks,
Joana Torres
www.oficina-oficina.squarespace.com

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds