Questions around safety of using diluted urine in agriculture?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Questions around safety of using diluted urine in agriculture?

Hi Mohammad,
Regarding your questions about the safety of using diluted urine in agriculture, there are plenty of publications available that show how to do this reuse in a safe manner. You can filter the SuSanA library by "reuse type: urine" which brings up 289 publications:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...l_6%5B26%5D=26&test=

We also have this post with 5 key documents to help you narrow down the vast number of publications on offer:
forum.susana.org/175-urine-reuse-or-infi...euse-or-infiltration

In short, the risks arising from hormones and pharmaceutical residues in urine are much lower than the same risks for wastewater, as the urine is applied to the soil where soil microbes can break down complex molecules more easily than breaking them down in water (due to higher density of microbes).

A quick overview is also available on Wikipedia here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuse_of_human_excreta#Urine

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • fppirco
    Topic Author
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

Questions around safety of using diluted urine in agriculture?

Hi,
For first time I heard about using diluted  urine in agriculture in Arno's (SEI) presentation in BGR Hannover,  Germany sanitation symposium in 2008.That time I asked him about  biological and chemical safety concern which you pointed out about pathogens and pharmaceutical residuals.  But I wish you determine urine pathogens are being killed in 6 month storage and what about some physiological metabolites such sex hormone in both males and females ? How about spores and cycst as resistant biological form may be appear as  soil plant pest or chemical pollution?
In addition  diluted urine as both water and liquid fertilizer I myself prefer  wetland construction and vermifilter technology.

Best regards;
Mohammad 
Researcher and consultant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds