Bamboo charcoal with urine shows us immediate effectiveness

10.8k views

Page selection:
  • Heiner
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

Re: Bamboo charcoal with urine shows us immediate effectiveness

Dear Scott  (or Chen Xiang Yang?)

thanks for attached video clip. Now I know who you are because I watched the clip a year ago....

Some more questions as a farmer: When you use fresh urine, how do you prevent the loss of nitrogen (better ammonia)? Do you adjust the PH value? Or do you accept a little loss? Store it in locked container?
In Germany we right now discuss the introduction of urine separating toilets which will cost quite a bit money. So  ideas of saving as much nitrogen as possible are important. During wintertime it is not allowed to use any nitrogen fertiliser so we have to store it for 5-6 months. Therefore we look for solutions to save every kilogram of nitrogen. 

Thanks for sharing and wish you much success further on..

Heiner
Heiner, the old farmer.....
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • scottchen
    Topic Author
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Ariel Fisk,
I watched your 2009 YouTube vedio finally. You tested urine+biochar 10 years ago. That Is amazing!

I have brought thousands of tons urine to the apples trees Without biochar. 

Have you ever done a larger scale test?

Best wishes

Chen Xiang Yang
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Dear Heiner:
The unprocessed urine does have a positive impact with the urine as I have been growing apples with the urine as the fertilizer for many years as shown in the ARTE documentary ,URINE SUPERPOWERS, 

There are a lot of researches about the biochar for agriculture saying the charcoal is very good for the bacteria to live in.
Now, I have found the best biochar professor in China. He can help us set up the biochar factory. Later , I will find some fertilizer experts to set up a biaochar fertilizer factory. 
best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972
The following user(s) like this post: Heiner

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Dear Bogdan Popov:

Yes, I tried.
In the 2nd test as shown in the red square of the attach picture, i tried 10 square meters space with the same vegetable, neither urine ,nor urine+charcoal.
But,we grew it one month after the 1st test.

best wishes
Scott

BPopov wrote: Dear Scott! 
Thanks for posting this! Did you make also control planting of the same plants without neither urine nor urine soaked charcoal?

Attachments:

• Ecowaters

Very cool. I saw your photos on LinkedIn, too.
Here's a video I made in 2009 (with an old video camera, not very good at all!) of Ariel Fisk-Vittori showing his urine-biochar experiment.
Book writer, researcher, workshop presenter, eco-toilet vendor, market transformer

carol-steinfeld.com (personal)
www.ecotoilets.org (soon)
ecotechproducts.net
The following user(s) like this post: scottchen, paresh

• BPopov
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Dear Scott! 
Thanks for posting this! Did you make also control planting of the same plants without neither urine nor urine soaked charcoal?
Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org

• Heiner
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

Dear Scott,

I appreciate your work very much! These trials are exactly what has to be done! And I wish you much success and findings in future.

As a farmer who was involved in lots of randomized field trials I very much know how difficult it is to get proofed results. Unprocessed Urine might have a negative impact to the plants and your bamboo charcoal might mitigate that. I assume that because charcoal itself has hardly a positive impact to plant growth as shown on the picture. 

However you will find out because your are testing!

Thanks for that,

Heiner
Heiner, the old farmer.....

• scottchen
    Topic Author

JKMakowka wrote: I would also be interested in your source of Bamboo charcoal. Do you produce it yourself, or is it readily marketed in your area of work?
We produce the charcoal by ourselves. 

The bamboo wood "vinegar" produced as a side product of charring the Bamboo might also be interesting to test as a pesticide/fertilizer.

In the future, we will use a standard equipment to produce the bamboo charcoal and have the vinegar for a pesticide and fertilizer test.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Dear paresh:
Please read my answers in blue letters.

paresh wrote: Dear Scott,
The difference between the two looks significant in terms of size of leaves and their numbers as well. Congratulations!!

It would be great if you could post more details about the experiment. Some questions that I have are

1. Where is this experiment being conducted? Hangzhou city where the Alibaba is.
  2. Which vegetables is the urine on bamboo charcoal combination being tested on?A Chinese cabbage grow in central China duing  the winter.
  3. IS the impact even on all vegetables or much bigger in certain vegetables and not so great or negative (if any) on certain type of vegetable .Not test any other vegetables yet.
  4. What is the proportion in the mix? What is the rate of application? Let the charcoal swim in the urine for a week,w/o a proportion.
  5. Did the urine need any treatment before application?  No treatment.
I raise these questions to get some idea about the application.

Warm regards
paresh 

The following user(s) like this post: paresh

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

I would also be interested in your source of Bamboo charcoal. Do you produce it yourself, or is it readily marketed in your area of work?

The bamboo wood "vinegar" produced as a side product of charring the Bamboo might also be interesting to test as a pesticide/fertilizer.
The following user(s) like this post: paresh

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Scott,
The difference between the two looks significant in terms of size of leaves and their numbers as well. Congratulations!!

It would be great if you could post more details about the experiment. Some questions that I have are
  1. Where is this experiment being conducted?
  2. Which vegetables is the urine on bamboo charcoal combination being tested on? Is the impact even on all vegetables or much bigger in certain vegetables and not so great or negative (if any) on certain type of vegetable
  3. What is the proportion in the mix? What is the rate of application? 
  4. Did the urine need any treatment before application? 
I raise these questions to get some idea about the application.

Warm regards
paresh 
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: Heiner

• scottchen
    Topic Author

With bamboo charcoal soaked in urine as the fertilizer, the vegetables grow much better than those with urine only. We buried the charcoal in the soil on Oct 26th and planted the vegetables on Nov 10th.

Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, HarryTams, Heiner

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds