Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • BPopov
    Topic Author
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Public cassete dry toilet in Kiev

Hello Everyone!

This year I would like to share with the new model of toilet which I have designed and supervised the construction. It is located in the middle of 3 million people Kiev city on the beach of Trukhanov island. It is going to serve the vegetarian Café called “Birdhouse” (it is on the trees).
Basically this public toilet is the continuation of the idea of the crib toilet which I built last year – which basically is a well ventilated open draining chamber with no urine separation. See
I decided to improve it by using the cassette approach by using the whole perforated fruit crates made of plastic. I think this is a step forward since this greatly enhance the capacity of the toilet – the crates can be easily replaced and potentially handled by fork lift and stacked centrally for further treatment. The central treatment (composting will be done in an insulated structure allowing to keep the composting through the winter. Both on on-site and central composting is supposed to be with worms.
This design is though as part of the public toilet network served by some company replacing the crates and providing proper treatment on their central station producing the compost for the forestry or even agriculture (shh! I didn’t say this))))
The challenges here is that whole structure has to be assembled and then disassembled in autumn. This means everything has to be “temporal but sturdy and well working”.
It is interesting to mention that whole process of construction supervision I’ve done distantly through skype and facebook messenger sending videos and pictures there and back. I was on the site only once initially. This works!
The toilet itself is the double compartment (female and male). Made of wood and has a space 1m high space underneath by building the platform over the slope. This space holds a perforated fruit crate 80 cm high 120 cm long and 80 cm wide (around 500 liters). The platform (floor of the toilet) is 30 mm laminated water-proof plywood.
The drainage underneath the crate (tray) was made of galvanized sheet metal formed into a tray like shape with the gutter in the middle. The leachate is will be directed to a wood-chips filled swale below with worms introduced. The worms also will be added to the crate itself.
Below in the process of construction in pictures. The finished toilet will be posted soon!
Best sanitation wishes,
Bogdan
Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds