Data for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems

19.4k views

Page selection:
  • Gunilla
    Topic Author

Re: Theme 2: Financing capital and running costs

Dear Nitya,
Thank you, this looks like it might be the kind of data we need for our analysis. I'm very grateful for all of your efforts. May I get back to you if I run into difficulties in interpreting the information?

best,
Gunilla
My research deals with the production and use of science for policy focusing on sustainable sewage management in growing urban areas and scientific controversies tied to risk assessment of endocrine disrupting substances. The questions that drive my research are: What kind of knowledge is needed, used and trusted? How does the knowledge used impact perceived solutions? How might we facilitate for decision makers and the public to ‘unpack’ assumptions, values and preferences that are embedded in such knowledge?

I also conduct research in higher education, with the questions above in the center but then asking how to teach about science for policy (knowledge about knowledge).
The following user(s) like this post: nityajacob, AjitSeshadri

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Dear Prof Oberg
I found a link that may help your case - gmdwsb.assam.gov.in/portlets/jica-assist...ati-sewerage-project. Its about a sewerage project in Guwahati, Assam.

Location of the Project (Zone-I) Guwahati Kamrup Metropolitan District
(South Central and South East Area) Assam
Target Population (i) 2020 : 10.10 lakhs
(ii)2035: 14.95 lakhs
(iii)2050: 23.32 lakhs
Project Implementation Period 7 (seven) Years
Construction of Capacity Treatment Plant
on ASP technology 187 MLD
Trunk Sewers 201 Km
Lateral Sewers 501 Km
Laying of Pumping Main Station 16.915 Km
Gravity Main 184.198 Km
Number of Pumping Stations 5 (five) Nos.
Number of Lifting Stations 18 (eighteen) Nos.
Number of House Connections,
Power Connections and Road Restoration 101058 Nos.
Trenchless Pipe Laying 880 metres
Total Project Cost JICA Portion: INR 1001.28 crore
State Share: INR 177.47 crore
Total: INR 1178.75 crore
(1 crore = 10 million, the current rupee exchange rate is about 70 to a US dollar)
Regards
Nitya
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Data for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems

Dr. Ms. Gunilla Oberg, Professor, UBC, Vancouver, Canada

Respected Madam,

A few years back (2012- 13) for preparing costing for laying sewer lines, in communities and planning for Decentralized Treatment and Re use system, had used prevalent rates as per DSR- Delhi Schedule of Rates for civil and other works.
This data in table form would be available in website and on search under that title, please.
You should be able to get a fair idea on the rates, and can be compared and your area- rates can be arrived at.

with well wishes.
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Vels University, Chennai, India.
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Dear Prof.Oberg,

I attaching a recently collected data on the STP construction cost and sewer (UGD) cost from Hubli and Dharwad.

All costs in INR (Cr is Crore = 10 million)

I am not sure of the exact length of the sewer lines installed (should not be too hard to find out). Hope that helps
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Best,
CS Sharada Prasad (CSP), PhD
Academic, Sanitation expert, WaSH consultant, and Photographer
sharadaprasad.com

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Gunilla
    Topic Author

Dear Paresh,

Thanks for the suggestion. This sounds very much like the kind of data I am looking for. I simply googled "report prepared by high powered expert committee (HPEC) to calculate investment needed for urban infrastructure" and found a pdf of .... "The High Powered Expert Committee (HPEC) for Estimating the Investment Requirements for Urban Infrastructure Services" :)

thanks again,
Gunilla
My research deals with the production and use of science for policy focusing on sustainable sewage management in growing urban areas and scientific controversies tied to risk assessment of endocrine disrupting substances. The questions that drive my research are: What kind of knowledge is needed, used and trusted? How does the knowledge used impact perceived solutions? How might we facilitate for decision makers and the public to ‘unpack’ assumptions, values and preferences that are embedded in such knowledge?

I also conduct research in higher education, with the questions above in the center but then asking how to teach about science for policy (knowledge about knowledge).

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Prof. Gunilla,
The report prepared by high powered expert committee (HPEC) to calculate investment needed for urban infrastructure makes assumptions of per capita cost for sewerage based on city size for construction and O&M, if it helps.
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: nityajacob, AjitSeshadri, observatory

• nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Dear Gunilla
It does not have the cost of installing a sewer system, just the STPs. I do not know what it takes to install a sewer system. Perhaps somebody from the Forum can answer this?
Sorry to not be of more help.
Regards
Nitya

• Gunilla
    Topic Author

Dear Nitya,

I managed to get hold of the report 'Excreta matters'. My read of this document is that the costs do not include construction and maintenance of sewers. Am I reading this right? If so, do you by any chance have access to such data. My understanding is that the sewers generally are more costly than the treatment plants, both in terms of construction and maintenance.

thanks for helping out
Gunilla

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Prof. Gunilla,
The State Annual Action Plans (SAAP) prepared by state governments may be helpful to understand the current flow of investments in India.

They are available at amrut.gov.in/saap.aspx
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• nityajacob

Dear Gunilla

It was from Chapter 4 of Excreta Matters from the Centre for Science and Environment. The specific references are
Anon 2009, Compendium of sewage treatment technologies, National River Conservation Directorate, MoEF, GOI, and
Mukesh Grover 2011, ‘Water treatment technologies and a case study of 635 MLD water treatment plant at Sonia Vihar, Delhi’, Degremont,
presentation at Ministry of Urban Development, New Delhi, mimeo.

To get the publication, you can order it from CSE off their website, cseindia.org. The same publication analyses the funding of JNNURM on water (drainage, water supply and sewage treatment). I believe the direction of funding has not changed substantially since JNNURM ended in 2014 and was replaced by AMRUT.

I agree centralised sewage systems are not the only solution. But choices need to be tempered with caution. Decentralised systems may be cheaper to make and more eco-friendly than STPs, but their operators are usually small-time contractors. These people cut corners on maintenance and employ human beings who enter to clean septic tanks and sewers and suffocate. There are no simple solutions, unfortunately, other than holding the government to account to provide and run these systems, with public oversight.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Nitya
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Gunilla
    Topic Author

Dear Nitiya

Thanks you for your response ( here ). The reason I am looking for build-out costs for conventional sewer systems is because I need hard facts when debating that conventional sewer systems hardly is the be-all-end-all in all situations, particularly in dense fast growing urban areas dominated by illegal and semi-illegal settlements.

Thank you for the power-point. Do you by any chance have the figures underlying the cost-estimates on slide 11

sincerely,
Gunilla Oberg

• rochelleholm

Re: Data for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems

Dear Gunilla,
Are you only looking for sewer systems or also other urban sanitation costs?

In the following paper we compare the costs of manual pit emptiers versus that to install a new improved, lined, pit latrine (inclusive of substructure, superstructure, labor, and
materials) here in Malawi.

Chiposa, R., Holm, R. H., Munthali, C., Chidya, R. C. G. and de los Reyes III, F. L. Characterization of pit latrines to support the design and selection of emptying tools in peri-urban Mzuzu, Malawi. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 2017, 7(1), pages 151-155. DOI: 10.2166/washdev.2017.096 washdev.iwaponline.com/content/7/1/151
Rochelle Holm, Ph.D., PMP
Mzuzu (Malawi)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds