Data for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems

19.4k views

Page selection:
  • Gunilla
    Topic Author

Data for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems

Dear SuSanA,

I am looking for costs and build-out rates for conventional sewer systems in urban areas in different parts of the world. Most grateful for anyone who can point me to a data-base or has data to share.

sincerely,
Gunilla Oberg, Professor, UBC, Vancouver, Canada

++++++
Note by moderator: I have now merged the relevant posts that were in the other parallel thread (related to the situation in India) to here in order to keep it all together. The other thread, which was about financing waste water management in India can be seen here: forum.susana.org/setting-standards-and-f...-running-costs#27011

In the other thread, Gunilla had specified her query as follows:

Dear Professor Prasad and the SuSanA community,

I am looking for 'hard' data that demonstrates that
The most common approach is still centralized sewer systems
Considerably more funding is directed towards conventional sewer systems
And if possible – studies that demonstrate that most people in power as well as researchers in the sewage/sanitation/wastewater field hold the centralized sewer system as the ‘gold standard’

Would you by any chance be able to point me to some sources? For example the Cranfield study mentioned earlier in this thread, which shows that 20 times more is invested in conventional sewer systems.

I am also looking for figures on build-out rates. It seems evident that build-out rates for conventional sewer systems are too slow to be feasible for rapidly growing urban areas and that such an approach therefore will be a lost catch-up game from the start. It is one thing to say that this seems evident, and another thing to show it with 'hard' data. Anyone with access to (recent) build-out rates for conventional sewer systems would be much appreciated.

Gunilla Oberg, professor, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
My research deals with the production and use of science for policy focusing on sustainable sewage management in growing urban areas and scientific controversies tied to risk assessment of endocrine disrupting substances. The questions that drive my research are: What kind of knowledge is needed, used and trusted? How does the knowledge used impact perceived solutions? How might we facilitate for decision makers and the public to ‘unpack’ assumptions, values and preferences that are embedded in such knowledge?

I also conduct research in higher education, with the questions above in the center but then asking how to teach about science for policy (knowledge about knowledge).
The following user(s) like this post: gustavo, AjitSeshadri

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds