Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper (Cranfield University, 2015)

17.9k views

Page selection:
  • AParker
    Topic Author
  • Lecturer in International Water and Sanitation at Cranfield University, working on many apsects of urban water and sanitation, including leading Cranfield's response to the BMGF Reinvent the Toilet Challenge.

Re: Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper (Cranfield University, 2015)

Hi Sharada,

You're right, pathogen composition is not included in detail. I think that would be another paper in itself! We have focussed on parameters which affect treatability in a conventional sense - e.g. most sewage works consents don't include pathogens.

Sorry not to be more help!

Alison
Alison Parker
www.nanomembranetoilet.org
Apply to study our MSc in Community Water and Sanitation:
www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/masters/comm...-and-sanitation.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Re: Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper (Cranfield University, 2015)

Thank for this great paper, Dr.Parker.

I browsed through the paper and saw a paragraph on Bacterial Composition (3.2.2) but did not see much about concentration of pathogens in feces. Was it a conscious decision not to list pathogens as part of the feces and urine characteristics? While the paper comprehensively covers other characteristics, I am curious to know the thinking behind the exclusion of pathogenic concentration.

(Please pardon me if I seem to have missed a table or section in the paper)
Best,
CS Sharada Prasad (CSP), PhD
Academic, Sanitation expert, WaSH consultant, and Photographer
sharadaprasad.com

• joeturner

Re: Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper (Cranfield University, 2005)

aokucu, all the links people have used above work for me.

The paper is open access, so the page should be available to everyone - but in case it helps, I have attached the pdf to this message. If you login to the SuSanA forum, you should be able to see it below.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• aokucu

Re: Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper (Cranfield University, 2005)

the link takes me to a site that does not open

• AParker
    Topic Author
  • Lecturer in International Water and Sanitation at Cranfield University, working on many apsects of urban water and sanitation, including leading Cranfield's response to the BMGF Reinvent the Toilet Challenge.

Re: Characterization of Feces and Urine: review paper

Hi Elisabeth,

Yes, Buzzfeed decided to use the mean value we calculated rather than the median value! And yes, in this case volatile and organic solids are basically the same.

Alison
Alison Parker

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Alison,

That's cool about you being cited in that Buzzfeed video (not in the video itself but in the video description in Youtube, even with two links)! After all, the video has been viewed nearly half a million times so far! The 2 minute video is all about visualizing how much poo the world population excretes in a day - simple message! :-)

And - as you pointed out to me at the WEDC conference - it might well be that they got onto your paper by seeing it mentioned on Wikipedia (thanks to Joe for including it in the article on urine: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#Constituents and here on the page for human feces: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_feces#Averag...ical_characteristics). And also the fact that it's an open access article would have helped. So, congratulations!

Just a small thing I wonder about: in your paper you said:

Results showed that the median fecal wet mass production was 128 g/cap/day, with a median dry mass of 29 g/cap/day.

But in the buzzfeed video they rounded it up to 149 g/cap/day - how come (did they contact you about it?)?

See screenshot:

At Taber: I completely agree with your point. The more I think about this sentence, the less I understand it. I think for laypersons it is very unclear:

Organic material makes up 65-85% of the dry solids with volatile solids making up 75-85% of the total solids

(from here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#Constituents)

People won't even know what volatile solids are and why that's important. Normally in wastewater treatment, volatile solids is pretty much identical to organic solids, isn't it?

Alison, perhaps you could explain a little what this sentence means so that we can come up with an easier to understand version for the Wikipedia article on urine?

Thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. If you are wondering - like me - what Buzzfeed is, read here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BuzzFeed :
BuzzFeed is an American internet news media company. It describes itself as the "social news and entertainment company . . . redefining online advertising with its social, content-driven publishing technology . . . provides the most shareable breaking news."
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

• Taber
  • I am a student of water, trying to keep our treatment designs 'as simple as possible but not simpler'.

"Organic material makes up 65-85% of the dry solids with volatile solids making up 75-85% of the total solids."
I am able (smile) to understand this, but perhaps it can be said more succinctly for all Wiki readers.

For example, yet still awkward:
Within the total solids component, volatile solids make up 75-85%. The remaining 25-15% is dry solid matter that is 65-85% organic material.
R. Taber Hand, Ph.D.
Founding Director
Wetlands Work! Ltd.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

wetlandswork.com
LinkedIn: Taber Hand

• AParker
    Topic Author

Somewhat bizarrely, one of the stats from the paper has now been made into a Buzzfeed video....
Alison Parker
The following user(s) like this post: jonpar

• AParker
    Topic Author

The research was funded under an EPSRC grant and they now require all papers to be open access (and give the university a block grant to cover open access fees). But I was glad as I think it would be useful to a lot of practitioners too!

Thanks for taking the initiative to edit the Wikipedia pages, that's great!

I hadn't realized that "per capita" would be so confusing as I thought it was widely used in other fields as well e.g. economics. Obviously we can't change the paper now, but please do use "per person" in the wikipedia pages if you think it would be less confusing.
Alison Parker

• joeturner

Yes, well looking at that wikipedia page again, it needs more work as much is repeated and unreferenced. I also added this reference to the human faeces page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_feces

I would avoid using the per capita (replace with per person) for ease of understanding, Elisabeth.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Alison,
So glad that you've made this an open access paper! :-)

I noticed that Joe already used it to update content on the page of "urine" on Wikipedia which is nice. See here Joe's edit to the page (comparison with what was there before which was citing data from 1971):
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Urine...2225&oldid=664073923

Your article being a review article, this fits perfectly as a reference for Wikipedia pages dealing with medical content.

Come to think of it, shouldn't we also say something about the phosphorus concentration in urine in the Wikipedia article?

So far it says this now in the Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#Constituents

Characteristics[edit source | edit]
Constituents[edit source | edit]
Humans on average excrete 1.4 L of urine per person per day, at a pH of about 6.2 with a high percentage of the total being water. The total solids in urine are on average 59 g per person per day. Organic material makes up 65-85% of the dry solids with volatile solids making up 75-85% of the total solids. Urea is the largest constituent of the solids, comprising of more than 50% of the total. On an elemental level, human urine contains 6.87 g/L carbon, 8.12 g/L nitrogen, 8.25 g/L oxygen, and 1.51 g/L hydrogen. The exact proportions vary with individuals and with factors such as diet and health. [2]

Could also add this: "content of P in urine 0.4–2.5 g/cap/day"

And something like this: "The urinary excretion of nitrogen is about 11 g/cap/day)."

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• AParker
    Topic Author

Not a daft question. cap = capita = person! So your guess is correct!
Alison Parker

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds