Social research with end-users of urine diversion systems in Melbourne Australia

Page selection:
  • Dena Fam
    Topic Author

Re: Social research with end-users of urine diversion systems in Melbourne Australia

Dear Doreen,

Thanks for your interest, the final report and appendices have just been uploaded to the SuSanA library

The link is: www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1315

The appendices has all the progress reports and outcomes from the research

I hope you find this helpful
Regards
Dena

Research Consultant
Institute for Sustainable Futures
University of Technology Sydney
Dr Dena Fam
Senior Research Consultant
Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Phone: (+61)2 9514 4950
Fax: (+61)2 9514 4941
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Doreen

Re: Social research with end-users of urine diversion systems in Melbourne Australia

Dear Dena,

I would very much like more detailed information about this project in terms of the interviews and workshops you conducted. Could you please forward them to my email address? You can see my email address when you log in.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Dena Fam
    Topic Author

Dear Martina,

The residents were funded by the government and water utility to trial all these systems (UDTs, grey water recycling adn septic system). The trial is ongoing but residents have the option to replace the UDTs after 2 years if they want to. So it will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the trial period which will be 2013.

Yes you are right end-users are underestimated in the trial of novel systems sometimes we forget that technology, society and everyday practices have to co-evolved to shape conventional use of a technology. We really need to take more notice is 'users'....

Regards
Dena
Dr Dena Fam
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• mwink

Dear Dena,

thanks for sharing your research results. Is the project thereby finished or do the UDTs and other installations rest?

This sentence I sign immediately!

End-user acceptance is the make or break issue for the successful adoption of socio-technical innovation

Unfortunately, we forget and underestimate this aspect too often.

Yours, Martina.
Research unit Water infrastructure and risk analyses
Institute for Social-Ecological Research (ISOE)
Frankfurt, Germany

winker[AT]isoe.de
www.isoe.de
www.saniresch.de

• Dena Fam
    Topic Author

Social research with end-users of urine diversion systems in Melbourne Australia

Hello everyone,

My name is Dena, I'm a research consultant at the Institute of Sustainable Futures in Sydney, Australia where I work in teh area of sustainable waste water management. I just wanted to let you know about a project that we have been working on for the last couple years in Victoria, which has recently come to an end.

We were contracted by a Victorian water utility to conduct qualitative social research with about 40 households installing an integrated water management system (which included greywater recycling, urine diversion toilets and septic systems). Pre and post installation interviews were conducted with residents to first find out residents motivations for adopting UDTs and later to try and capture any issues arising in using these new systems, in particular the urine diversion toilets.

We also conducted interviews with the project management team installing, operating and managing the systems to capture what they had learned along the way in trialing innovation. What emerged were some great insights into how these systems might be more successfully installed in the future.

Ive included a link to the final presentation to the executive committee of the water utility that some people might find interesting.

www.isf.uts.edu.au/publications/mitchell...glakefinalreport.pdf

If anyone would like more detailed information about this project eg. appendices of workshops we conducted and interviews please let me know

Kind Regards
Dena

PS: I wonder if there could possibly be a category for posts called something like - 'stakeholder engagement' or 'end-user engagement' as opposed to CLTS
Dr Dena Fam

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds