The Earth Auger Toilet: urine-diverting composting toilet (Fundacion In Terris, Ecuador) - updates on progress

80.4k views

Page selection:
  • chuckhenry

Re: The Earth Auger Toilet: Innovation in Waterless Sanitation (Fundacion In Terris, Ecuador)

Yes, we are very happy with the foot flush, etc. and YES there is work to be done! We just now are working on final designs to send to the injection molding companies, and expect a complete new model by June-ish. We'll be sure to post at that time!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: The Earth Auger Toilet: Innovation in Waterless Sanitation (Fundacion In Terris, Ecuador)

I really like that new "flushing" mechanism of the western-style version*. Seems perfectly suitable for in-home use. Obviously still a bit to do interface design wise, but for those good examples already exists (maybe it would be good to team up with an experienced UDDT toilet seat design company to avoid the common mistakes?).

However this seems to be an example of the small size of the company holding back the overall idea. I hope the exposure through these kind of events will interest someone with more financial reserves to speed up development and bring it to scale.

* Photo of "flushing mechanism" added by moderator:

File Attachment:
Urine diverting toilet seat with closing mechanism for faeces hole (note saw dust dispenser at the top of the photo) by Sustainable sanitation , on Flickr

• mtfioravanti
    Topic Author
  • Researcher and advisor in Sustainable Development, Environmental education, Eco-efficiency, Sustainable Sanitation.

Hi!

Find attached the interview that SuSanA did to us during the Reinvent The Toilet Fair in India.

It was amazingly motivating being there. We get great connections from visitors, but also potential partnership and alliances with other exhibitors -plus the quick learnings and feedback that you can harvest just during the fair-. I will not say more, since I am sure that after playing the videos comments and questions will come!

Thanks SuSanA team for this!

Marcos

+++++++++++
P.S. Some additional photos from the fair for people who cannot view Youtube videos:

File Attachment:
Chuck Henry explaining the Earth Auger toilet exhibit (squatting version), while being filmed by Arno Rosemarin by Sustainable sanitation , on Flickr

File Attachment:
Urine diverting toilet seat with closing mechanism for faeces hole (note saw dust dispenser at the top of the photo) by Sustainable sanitation , on Flickr

File Attachment:
Bag to collect compost at the end of the auger (at the back of the photo: toilet seat with sawdust dispenser) by Sustainable sanitation , on Flickr

More photos available in this flickr set:
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/sets/72157643961207605
Marcos Fioravanti B.
Taladro de la Tierra Project
Fundación In Terris / Critical Practices LLC

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+593994492690
The following user(s) like this post: vishwanathdalvi

• mtfioravanti
    Topic Author
  • Researcher and advisor in Sustainable Development, Environmental education, Eco-efficiency, Sustainable Sanitation.

Hi Elisabeth!

Prototype's final cost and other associated costs (as housing and restrooms accesories -urinals, sink, greywater pipes-) are still under research and development.

To supply the units or let the users doing it by theirselves is a good question. Critical Practices is now working on developing Injection-molded units because it is the most cost-effective way to manufactur the toilets, but the alternative of working in drawings and manuals for a "do it by yourself" is something that I know its under analysis.

The expectation would be that the unit's cost, Ex-Factory, would be between $100 and $200 depending on the prototype (Chuck can explain further about this). Then users can decide on superstructure and accesories, as well as installation. However, we are also developing easier and cost-effective approaches to the superstructure and accesories. One goal -thinkign in the Latin American context-, is that we could have a complete unit, including the Earth Auger toilet, accesories, superstructure, reainwater collection system and greaywater+urine irrigation system for less than $700; that could mean that users do a downpayment of aprox $80 and then monthly payments of $15 to $20 for 3 years. Of course a simpler alternative could be less than $500, including superstructure and basic accesories. We are approaching local MFI's in Ecuador and will have more information during the year.

Marcos
Marcos Fioravanti B.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+593994492690

• ooaluko
  • To contribute towards poverty reduction in my environment through WASH programme implementation

Dear All,
I am in love with the innovation shown in this research.
I am currently working on waterless toilets piloting in a main market in Nigeria and will love to have all inputs to make it a success.
we have done the baseline and knew the preferences of the market users and had to develop a system where seperate facilities will be provided for male and female, in addition to some add-ons requested by the female respondents, during the qualitative data collection.

However, my main challenge is how do we limit odour to the barest minimum, reduce sight of faeces by toilet users, if possible and turn the end products, faeces and urine into organic fertiliser in a collaborative effort.

in addition, the 4-compartment units (4 each for male and female) is planned for privatization and i am concerned about success since the NGO that engaged our services is looking to market and replicate good practices.

I therefore request for support in this venture from group members.

Femi Aluko
Department of Community Health
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife,
Nigeria.
Femi Aluko

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Marcos & dear Henry,

Why not teaming up with the South African Developer's of the first conveyer (auger) toilet (a non UD)? So many not written down and informal good and bad experiences made could be incorporated in your new R&D...

All the Best
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de, AquaVerde Ltd. Zanzibar
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Marcos and Chuck,

Congratulations on this Phase 2 extension for your project! I looked up the grant amount in the publicly available database of the BMGF and found that it's nearly 1 million USD!:
www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Quick-Links/Grants-Database

Not bad at all for a dry toilet research project! (who says the BMGF only funds high-tech things ;-) ).

I hope you will keep us posted about your progress in Ecuador.

I attach below a presentation that you had sent me by e-mail to make it available for others who are interested in your project. I have also uploaded it to the SuSanA library here:
susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1779

About this objective:

1- To develop large-scale demonstrations of our new prototypes (a total of 300 to 500 toilets built and installed in Ecuador) in order to assess the acceptability, logistics, utilization of by-products (fertilizers) and fate (destruction) of pathogens.

How much will each toilet cost when you produce it at this large scale and will the families have to pay the whole amount, a fraction of the amount or nothing at all?

Are you envisioning a service provider model with a professional company or will the users handle everything themselves? (sorry if this has already been asked and I overlooked it)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• chuckhenry

Yes! My preference is to have it in the house, or attach something like this as an extension to a house with a door between. As we've seen in most of our installations, there simply is no room for a toilet; the addition of something like this that becomes part of the house is a real bonus, especially if it can include other ancillary features like a shower, sink, urinal, etc.
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• chuckhenry

We really liked the concept of the rotating sawdust delivery system that was, indeed as you pointed out, actuated as part of the single foot pedal operation. There are a few reasons that we are now testing this different system: (1) it can deliver any amount of cover material, rather than a fixed amount and at any time (i.e., you don't have to flush to add the cover material, conversely you don't have cover material added if you just want to move the material out of the chamber). (2) It is far more flexible for different cover materials used (is not as dependent upon the particle size). (3) yes, it is far less complex, thus much less expensive (something we are finding out is the biggest constraint we have heard from potential purchasers). Our goals continue to be first: effective, secondly: inexpensive, and finally: elegantly simple.

• mtfioravanti
    Topic Author

Re: The Earth Auger Toilet: Innovation in Waterless Sanitation (Fundación In Terris, Ecuador)

Yes! Similar, but different. We had some discussion about this. Check the posts before!

E.g. this one: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/106-us...-terris-ecuador#4143
Marcos Fioravanti B.

+593994492690

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: The Earth Auger Toilet: Innovation in Waterless Sanitation (Fundación In Terris, Ecuador)

Dear Marcos,

Very Nice!

Looks to me a bit like the South African dehydration toilet:
at: www.ecosan.co.za/product_info.html

It seams to me you have a more lighter and simplified UD-version of a conveyer system too, right?

Good Luck

Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de, AquaVerde Ltd. Zanzibar
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Ahh, ok I understand. Those pictures look great by the way.

One small remark: So far it is missing some simple means for better access regarding elderly and people with disability.
I recommend you have a look at this:
wedc-knowledge.lboro.ac.uk/details.html?id=16357

P.S.: I think the real strength of this design is the possibility to include it in a house and not building such an "out-house". But I guess this is more for testing purposes, right?

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds