Enzyme / bacterial additives for septic tanks, pit and compost toilets, etc.

17.3k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Enzyme / bacterial additives for septic tanks, pit and compost toilets, etc.

Dear Bogdan,

You had written:

however in Ukraine EM technologies became a religion and almost a sacred cow.

what did you mean by this?

Kris mentioned the Wikipedia article on pit additives: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_additive
We initially had the content as part of the article on EM (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_microorganism) but I am so glad we decided to move it out of there into its own article. Watching the EM Wikipedia article has been very painful and I took if off my watchlist in the end. There was countless attempts by various editors to include in there pseudo-science and unproven stuff... So I gave up on that one and hope that others are keeping up the battle to have only reliabe, proven information included.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Enzyme / bacterial additives for septic tanks, pit and compost toilets, etc.

Dear Christophe,

Yes, please share the information (reports, scientific papers, presentations and alike) here on the discussion forum. Please also include information on costs. (I must say that I am very sceptical about these kinds of additives so please let us know what you have there.)

I had a look at your earlier posts on the forum, see here on 19 Nov 2013: forum.susana.org/280-faecal-sludge-treat...des-em?start=24#6450
and here one day later: forum.susana.org/280-faecal-sludge-treat...des-em?start=24#6505

However, in both posts, you did not provide any detailed information nor an explanation on the mechanisms which would result in the lower sludge accumulation rates.

In your last post you had written:

I'm sorry I can not give you more scientific details. The only things I can give you are the results (observances) from the pilot project and the data from the producer who protects his know-how…

Is more information available by now? Do you work for the company marketing the product or for an NGO using the product?
Looking forward to reading more from you about this important topic.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: goeco

• grangec
  • I am an engineer in Environment, Water and Sanitation, working for more than 20 years in expertise and implementation of projects. Today I am developing innovation technology for sanitation, especially in Biotechnology for sanitation and the environment.

Dear all,

I have tested during 4 years with different international organizations, a bio additive and an application methodology in different countries.
Results are spectacular and the fecal sludge accumulation has been stopped for a very long time (4 years for one of our pilote project in Ivory Coast), including the reduction of flies and smell ...
The issue is not the reduction of the feacal sludge already in place in the pit but to stop the accumulation of sludge at the beginning of using the pit.

I can share with you further information if needed.

Cheers!

Christophe
Christophe

• BPopov
    Topic Author
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Thank you very much! I missed that this topic is already avavailable and even Wikipedia artickle already exist.

I prbably will agree with your opinion -- however in Ukraine EM technologies became a religion and almost a sacred cow. But at least I have some references now
Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

We had the discussion a few times before, see: forum.susana.org/198-wikipedia/12042-wik...roorganisms-em#12042

The consensus seems to be that the effect is difficult to measure when applying scientific standards and most likely hugely overstated or not existing at all.

I personally think that smell reduction is at least imaginable, but significantly better solids reduction is highly unlikely.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, Marijn Zandee

• BPopov
    Topic Author
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Enzyme / bacterial additives for septic tanks, pit and compost toilets, etc.

Hello everyone!
I would be interested to discuss the additives issue (including EM bacteria) which are currently advertised and offered often as the best solution for septic sludge, toilet pit odor reduction and composting process enhancement . However some trusty sources point that at least in a septic tank these additives would actually may do harm rather than good and cause leach field clogging. Same for the composing toilets while the other sources highly recommend and praise them.
Could we try to separate the real facts from "marketing and selling" and get the balanced view on these products?
Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds