Valentine's Toilet With A Natural Heart

14.8k views

Page selection:
  • Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: Ultra Simple Drip Free Water Rationing and Dispensing System

Hello Forum Friends,

Below are some diagrams of a water dispensing and rationing system which I developed last summer. It possibly could do good in many places in preventing the spreading of disease . Feel free to share it or use it. I am using one in my own shop as I do not have running water in it.

Amish background. Natural born questioner, researcher, and developer.
The following user(s) like this post: cecile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: Life Saver Poster

Dear Dennisk,

I don't think any of the graphics I used are copyrighted, and I certainly am not putting any restrictions on sharing it. Thus use it as you wish.

Thank You

• denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Nice work amos

if want to use, can use freely or how?
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Below is a Poster I just created. This Poster is intended to bring about an awareness of the value of dry toilet systems in many places, as well as to present some dry toilet systems which I feel could do much good.

Although some photos regarding pollution, and grievous problems relating thereto, might be a bit repulsive, please understand they are simply to bring about a keen awareness of a catastrophe to seek to deter, and intended for a good cause, and hopefully a better cause than many repulsive images included in violent movies or Halloween decorations. Together may we kindly assist the needlessly suffering. Thank You.

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: Valentine's Toilet With A Natural Heart

Hello Mwaniki,

You must have misunderstood a bit. The real emphasis and goal of my toilet project has always been and is to help the poor. Yet the systems I have developed will likely also have some place in developed countries. My work has been non profit and I have freely given all my designs to those who could benefit from them. I did encourage donations if suitable, and encouraged people letting me know what they are doing with the designs. Thanks again for your interest. Please see the many designs at www.LiftUPThePoor.com .

Thanks for your input.

Amos Bender

• mwaniki

Hello Amos

I now understand your project is for commercial purposes with rural America being your target market. With good marketing strategies you could capture good sales in rural farming communities, log cabins & homes and it could work also in beach houses and cottages where sand is plentiful. It might be a good investment after all.

But you don’t have to unnecessarily go into production of audio gadgets to give instructions on how to use your toilet. The mistake most Americans and Europeans make is to assume that the poor in the developing countries are daft, illiterate and primitive. Far from it. In technology the US and Europe could learn from East Africans. Apart from communications, we conduct e-banking and pay utilities by mobile phone and billions of local currencies are transacted each day by millions of people from all walks of life across borders in the sub-region.

There might be slums in Kenya which might use your toilets but informal settlements are found in every country in the world including yours. Who knows, we might reinvent a more efficient toilet than yours in the near future.

Regards / Mwaniki
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Dear Mwaniki,

Thanks for your interest. Our aim certainly is first of all to help the poor. Yet to know how or to be able to help, is going to be a real challenge, as to initiate change is difficult and too often the poor are poor because they lack motivation. Presentation and education are going to be so important. The process of making a very small toy toilet with audio instruction has even been contemplated. This toy would be give to the children, while it also would be a good way to get the message to their parents. A instruction greeting card with audio and diagrams also would be good. Such cards are not expensive and could be given to the illiterate as well as others. The audio could say something like "The hygienic waterless toilet. Block it with earth and shut the gate. BE SURE to open the gate, yet ONLY when you defecate. A non polluted world a healthier you".

I agree that in the affluent society people like high tech, and things that shine and glitter. Yet some in affluent countries want to go green. Further this toilet could be good for cabins rather than portajohns which are expensive to keep and often are very repulsive.

Thanks so much.
Amos Bender

• mwaniki

Hi Amos

Your prototyped toilet is very interesting in all stages. But do you think the affluent society in the developed world would care for this sort of design and to go for the soil to dispose the waste? These people go for comfort, the kind of high-tech stuff that would make our heads spin.

Wouldn’t the approach go for sustainable solutions and identify the needs for the billions of people around the world without any form of sanitation? I thought purpose of the project funding was to help the poor and seeking ideas to perfect the concept from the forum to go with it?

Warm regards / Mwaniki
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.
The following user(s) like this post: Amos

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

First of all the Wee-Pee system is much simpler but more for private home toilets.

This design is just in start up phase. But tests have shown it to be very sanitary. I was told by some who seen it, that the toilet, as it is so odor free and better than other water less toilets, is more for the USA (or those who care rather than for the poor who too often don't care). It will take education and care.

I realize it has some parts but very few compared to many other machines that man uses in most countries. I feel if it is build right and used in a reasonable way there should be very little breakage. The bottom line is, it is impossible to help those who do not care at all and who will not take care of things. Those first and most of all need to be taught to care.

The urine can be set up to easily take care of itself. This link shows a system of disposing the feces and soil dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16411607/004...ound%20Sys%20PDF.pdf

• denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Hi Amos

I downloaded the Hestroom10 pdf.

It looks interesting and wondered where you have installed, as I am wondering on the below topics:

1) take up / usage rates - how do users find it suits their functional (and aspirational) needs?

2) cleaning / servicing / maintenance arrangement (as it looks quite a complex mechanism and I am wondering about piece breakage, repair and replacement - how are you proposing that communities manage this aspect of post-installation? Is it part of the sales process?

3) does the installation come as part of the service or needs a separate process?

4) indicative costs (because of the complex mechanisms that seem to be involved) both with and without installation?

and

5) faecal sludge management - - how are you proposing that communities manage that?
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns
The following user(s) like this post: Amos

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: The Wee-Pee and the Gated Bucket-Mate Toilet.

Since designing the Valentine's toilet with a natural heart for the poor in February a very basic enclosure for the toilet has also been designed. This enclosure likely would also be good for any small portable toilet, and in developed countries. The simple enclosure is called a Wee-Pee and has a door that easily opens and closes and locks. Below is a diagram of the Wee-Pee system. More information regarding the Wee-Pee and gated, Bucket-Mate toilet is given at this link dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16411607/WeePeeInstru2.pdf. Thanks for looking. Your comments or suggestions are very welcome.

• Amos
    Topic Author
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: The Hygienic Earth Block And Flush Toilet

Since designing the Valentine's toilet with a natural heart in February another very basic system has been designed which flushes with soil and empties into a standard muck bucket. It is more sanitary than most water less toilets and it appears it could be very practical even in developed countries for cabins or even indoor toilets. It is called the "Hygienic Earth Block And Flush Toilet", abbreviated the HEBAF toilet. Below is a picture of the flush system. For more information regarding this toilet which appears could do much good see the PDF at this link dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16411607/Hestroom10.pdf . Thanks for looking. Your comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds