DRAWING WATER - 2nd edition: A resource book of over 600 WASH and related images

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: DRAWING WATER - 2nd edition: A resource book of over 600 WASH and related images

freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Has a lot of good reasons why "non-commercial" licenses are generally a bad idea in an open-access context.

CC-by-SA ("Share alike") is really the best license to choose for such a picture collection, and it ensures wide use while protecting you from most forms of "commercial abuse".
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: DRAWING WATER - 2nd edition: A resource book of over 600 WASH and related images

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply.
Have you considered that the boundaries of "commercial" are very fluid in the WASH sector? For example, someone (like an NGO) might run a course (perhaps with donor funding) where participants have to pay something for the course (perhaps just a portion of it and the rest of the course is subsidised by the donor). If the course presenter would then want to use one of these drawings in one of their teaching materials, they couldn't if you classify such a course as a "commercial" activity. The same might apply to some lecturers at university level if the students have to pay a fee, but not at a university where studying is for "free", i.e. covered by taxes (like in Germany).

I am just bringing this up, because such examples have been pointed out to me by others (James Heilman to be precise) to show that this fear of "commercial uses" is perhaps a bit old fashioned nowadays, at least for the WASH sector. I might go back to James and ask him for more examples. The e-mails that he sent to me about this topic a while ago really made me think.

Oh and one important component is the "SA" in the licence which stands for "share alike". This means that if someone used something for commercial uses then in turn they would have to make it available under the SAME licence. That's a good thing, isn't it? So it would automatically be open access as well.
Ah, I just see that the link I gave above is not quite right. This is the right one:
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

It includes this part:

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

Oh, and I wasn't quite sure what you meant with "they are part of our brand"?

And how about use on Wikipedia pages like we did here with your schematic of a pit latrine (with your approval) - it wasn't a drawing, but a sketch by WEDC:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_latrine

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Rod
    Topic Author

Hi Elisabeth

Yes, we have considered this but we don't want them to be make them available for commercial ends by others as they are a part of our brand. We are happy for them to be used for non-commercial ends, however, providing they are duly acknowledged.

Rod

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Excellent, thanks, Rod! Great idea to make your beautiful drawings available in this way.

Have you considered making the licence into an open access licence so that the drawings could also be used in Wikipedia for example?
For that, it would need to be this licence: CC BY SA 4.0 license

Whereas your current licence statement says:

The illustrations presented in this online publication may be copied, reproduced or adapted to meet local needs without permission from the illustrator or publisher, provided the illustrations reproduced are distributed free, or at cost and not for commercial ends and the source is fully acknowledged

SuSanA has changed the licence clause for all of its publication to open access (see discussion here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-ann...ications-open-access)

Further details:
creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
edit: or rather this link: creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

I think the only difference to your licence statement is that it could be used for any purpose, even commercially. It still has to be fully attributed though - which in my opinion is the most important aspect to give you the credit for the drawings.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Rod
    Topic Author

Hi Dorothee

This is now fixed. You may need to refresh your page to see the changes.

Kind regards

Rod

• Rod
    Topic Author

Thanks for your message. Actually, you need to click on LIST OF SUBJECTS which takes you to page 10. Clicking on the themes on page 10 will take you to the relevant theme pdf.

However, I'll make this clearer by highlighting the themes to look like links. Thank for alerting me to this.

Rod

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Hi Rod

Thank you for sharing- unfortunately, the link only guides us to a short version of the document (page 1 to 10). You may want to correct that.
Cheers, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Rod
    Topic Author

DRAWING WATER - 2nd edition: A resource book of over 600 WASH and related images

DRAWING WATER – 2nd edition: A resource book of over 600 WASH and related images is now freely available online at: wedc.lu/drawing-water-2nd-edition

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds