Key documents for the sub-category on Behaviour change and user psychology issues

19.7k views

Page selection:
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: Key documents for the sub-category on Behaviour change and user psychology issues

Dear Depinder,

I have had a look at the full thread to bring myself up to speed on this conversation. I particularly note that Working group 13 on Behaviour Change should be engaged to review the proposed documentation for inclusion in the list of top 5 BC documents (Has this been done since the discussion here?).  This can certainly help determine which document(s) should be replaced and whether the number of key documents should be kept at 5 or could be increased. 

I note Elisabeth's comment here: 

I don't recommend including them in the Top-5 though (see post from 27 Nov 2015 in this thread; scroll up or down) because the Top-5 are supposed to be of broad, general significance, maybe dealing with a range of countries but not specific to just one country. It's five years ago though since I created that list so it would be good to update it with new publications if they're available and better than the existing ones.

Considering the top 5  list was created a while ago, it is certainly time to review and rightly put by Elisabeth, one determining criteria is whether the document covers a range of contexts. 

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • depinder
  • Depinder Kapur is currently Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment, Delhi.

Re: Key documents for the sub-category on Behaviour change and user psychology issues

Kindly add this document to the list.
Depinder Kapur is Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment. He has taight at Shiv Nadar University and has lead the Sanitation Capacity Building Platform(SCBP) of National Institute of Urban Affairs. His professional engagements have been with AKRSP(Program Officer Forestry), SPWD(Sr. Program Officer), CARE(Director NRM), Oxfam(Program & Advocacy Director), WaterAid India(Country Head) and WSSCC(National Coordinator) and as an independent consultant.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Chaiwe

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Hansi,
Thanks for your informative post about the RANAS model. 

The starting point of this thread was to investigate which "Top 5" publications should be highlighted as "Key documents for the sub-category on Behaviour change and user psychology issues". You can see the current ones at the start of this thread or listed below:

+++++++++

(1)
Neal, D., Vujcic, J., Hernandez, O., Wood, W. (2015). The Science of Habit - Creating disruptive and sticky Behavior Change in Handwashing Behavior. USAID/WASHplus Project, Washington D.C., USA
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2380

(2)
Cavill, S., Chambers, R., Vernon, N. (2015). Frontiers of CLTS: Innovations and Insights. Sustainability and CLTS: Taking Stock (Issue 4). CLTS Knowledge Hub at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), Brighton, United Kingdom
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2179

(3)
Contzen, N., Mosler, H-J. (2015). Compilation of methodological fact sheets on behavior change. Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (Eawag), Dübendorf, Switzerland
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2397

(4)
Mosler, H.-J. et al. (2015). Compilation of intervention fact sheets on data-driven behavior change. Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (Eawag), Dübendorf, Switzerland
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2396

(5)
O’Connell, K. (2014). What Influences Open Defecation and Latrine Ownership in Rural Households?: Findings from a Global Review. World Bank, Water and Sanitation Program (WSP) Working Paper, Washington DC, United States
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2362

++++++++

All a bit older now but not necessarily outdated. Your RANAS model is included as part of Number 4 but probably by now a different, more recent overview publication should be listed?

Please advise which publications you'd put forward to be the "Top 5 Key documents"? That bullet point list by Om I understood to say, one publication for each of those topics that he listed (?). So we wouldn't want 5 documents about RANAS but just one, or?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• moslerha

Dear Om,
I would like to give some answers to your requests in the view of the RANAS approach of behavior change.

- Science behind behaviour change - 1
==> The RANAS model of behavior change is based on approved behavioral theories and corroborated in more than 70 scientific publications.

- How to conduct formative research (identification of behavioural determinants, motives, barriers, touch points) - 2
==> The RANAS approach defines a systematic methodology about how to determine the behavioral factors which should be addressed with behavior change interventions: 1) qualitative interviews; 2) quantitative interviews; 3) data analysis resulting in doer/non-doer analysis; 4) determination of the behavioral factors to be changed

- How to design behaviour change intervention package (such as documents related to creative process to design the hygiene intervention package) or learning from effective behaviour change programme - 3
==> The RANAS catalogue of behavior change techniques (BCTs) defines which BCTs are applicable to change which behavioral factors.

- How to effectively deliver behaviour change programme (it can be learning from scale implementation of the programme within WASH or integration into health, education, nutrition or private sector) - 4
==> In many publications it was shown that the RANAS approach can be applied at scale. Actually 11 NGOs are implementing 9 different behavior change campaigns applying the RANAS approach in the Rohingya camp near Cox Bazar in Bangladesh.

- How to effectively monitor and evaluate  behaviour change interventions - 5
==> The RANAS approach contains explicitly M&E by providing a before-after control design. The same households are interviewed before and after the intervention and this is done for the intervention group but also for the control group which did not receive any intervention. The before-after change in behavior is then compared between intervention and control group. However, this is done not only for the behavior but also for the behavioral factors. Hereby we know whether the targeted behavioral factors were really changed by the intervention or not and with this knowledge the intervention can be improved. 

I hope this helps to understand that the RANAS approach fulfills all the requirements that you are calling for.

All the best,
Hans Mosler

• om

Dear all,
Thank you for your great insights. I do fully agree that we need to review the top 5 recommended documents and prioritise based on current science and emerging evidences into the sector. Ideally, the top 5 documents should at least cover the following areas within behaviour change: 
- Science behind behaviour change - 1
- How to conduct formative research (identification of behavioural determinants, motives, barriers, touch points) - 2
- How to design behaviour change intervention package (such as documents related to creative process to design the hygiene intervention package) or learning from effective behaviour change programme - 3
- How to effectively deliver behaviour change programme (it can be learning from scale implementation of the programme within WASH or integration into health, education, nutrition or private sector) - 4
- How to effectively monitor and evaluate  behaviour change interventions - 5

Thank you for the suggestions from various colleagues already. We will review the existing documents and suggestions. We will review, amend / upload the top 5 documents soon.  

Regards
Om

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Yes, I agree with you, Depinder. This should be a job for the Working Group 13 leads. I'll alert them to this thread.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• depinder
  • Depinder Kapur is currently Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment, Delhi.

Hi Elisabeth and Group 13 coordinators,

I can only recommend that atleast one of the 2 documents i have shared - preferably the Formative Research on WASH Behaviour Change 2016 report - that should be included in the top 5 documents for the Behaviour Change Group.

Because it is based on original research that identified "self perception and low aspiration as core barriers to WASH Behaviour Change". That this is not there in any WASH Behaviour Change "top 5" documents. Most of which are generic knowledge pieces and dated. 

Yes you are right I had shared these 2 documents earlier as well and I expected some response from Group 13. Since that has not come and in the spirit of De colonisation of WASH knowledge - I am making this suggestion again. My interjection in April 2020 for making the Capacity Development Group more inclusive bore fruit in June 2020 thanks to the BLM movement and the advocacy from Euphresia. 

It should be the job of the Working Group on Behaviour Change - Group 13 - to review the 2 documents I have shared for including in the top 5 documents. If there are better research/documents then fine, but request that what i have submitted is atleast considered and the old top 5 list updated anyway. 
Depinder Kapur is Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment. He has taight at Shiv Nadar University and has lead the Sanitation Capacity Building Platform(SCBP) of National Institute of Urban Affairs. His professional engagements have been with AKRSP(Program Officer Forestry), SPWD(Sr. Program Officer), CARE(Director NRM), Oxfam(Program & Advocacy Director), WaterAid India(Country Head) and WSSCC(National Coordinator) and as an independent consultant.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Hi Depinder,
Thanks for pointing out those two publications from India which you co-authored. They are both already in the SuSanA library in this entry which is great: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2989

So they are part of the key documents because they will come up when users search for documents containing the keywords "behavior" or "behaviour" in the SuSanA library.

I don't recommend including them in the Top-5 though (see post from 27 Nov 2015 in this thread; scroll up or down) because the Top-5 are supposed to be of broad, general significance, maybe dealing with a range of countries but not specific to just one country. It's five years ago though since I created that list so it would be good to update it with new publications if they're available and better than the existing ones.

Also note that I want to keep it to 5 maximum. So if we want to add more, we need to remove some from the Top-5. Which ones would we want to replace with which newer ones? I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• depinder

Kindly include these 2 documents in the list.

These are from WASH Behaviour Change Research that highlight the critical aspects of self perception barriers and low aspirational status - emerging from low caste, class and ethnicity - often overlooked by western researchers.

1. Formative Research on Behaviour Change in WASH :  indiawashforum.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ve-Research-2016.pdf
2. Behaviour Change in WASH Research :  www.researchgate.net/publication/2681472...arriers_and_Enablers

• WASHanna

www.superamma.org/

(in response to Elisabeth's question above:

What exactly do you mean by the Amma campaign? Is there a document that you have in mind or should we link to a project website?

)
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
@WASH_Hanna

• moslerha

(edit on 6 Jan. 2016 by moderator: the documents mentioned in this post have now been included in the list of five key documents as number 3 and number 4, respectively)

Dear all,

these documents are really valuable for implementation. However they do not contribute to our understanding of behavior change (with the exception of ours). By this I mean that we need to know which behavioral factors in the mindsets of people have to be changed to realize behavior change.

CLTS is successful but we do not know why and therefore we do not understand why CLTS works in some cases and in others not. What does CLTS change in the mindsets of people? Is it perceived social pressure, evoked disgust, or shame that changes in mindsets when attending a CLTS session?
These questions remain for all our interventions the same: which behavioral factors do we have to tackle to achieve behavior change?

Our RANAS approach (Risk, Attitudes, Norms, Abilities, Self-Regulation) gives a methodology at hand with which the decisive behavioral factors can be determined and then the matching behavior change techniques can be selected. In the attachment you will find a brief description of the approach ready to use for practitioners (Methodological Fact Sheets). I also added some fact sheets about successful interventions with the approach (Intervention Fact Sheets).

All the best, Hans

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Prof. Dr. phil. et dipl. zool.
Hans-Joachim Mosler
Eawag, Environmental Social Sciences
Environmental and Health Psychology
Überlandstrasse 133
CH-8600 Dübendorf / Switzerland

www.eawag.ch/en/department/ess/main-focu...th-psychology-ehpsy/

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, ASHA

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Dear Claire,

Thanks for your input. What exactly do you mean by the Amma campaign? Is there a document that you have in mind or should we link to a project website? I am a bit confused.

About the other issue on which SuSanA working group should be the main "champion" for behavior change, I will start a new thread on that shortly, so we can discuss it further there.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds