Technical sanitation solutions - definition?

Page selection:
  • muandac
    Topic Author

Re: Technical sanitation solutions

Dear Christoph,

My sincere apology for a very late reply. I do agree with you that my questions are broad. This was done intentionally to stimulate the debate and listen to what other would say. From my view, technical sanitation solution refers to a combination of various technologies for the safe collection, treatment and disposal or reuse of human excreta in an environmentally sound manner. These technologies may cover the key component of the sanitation system that include the toilet, containment/collection/conveyance, treatment (in or off-site) and disposal or reuse (where applicable).

In the context of informal settlement, we believe that each component of a technical sanitation solution may have various attributes for a toilet can be used for disposing human excreta, discharging greywater.

With regard to the BMGF sanitation innovations, an rapid assessment has shown that some of these proposed solutions hold potential despite not responding adequately to the informal settlement context. One of the innovation sugegsted using microflushing (to save water) another proposing a self cleansing toilet for example. In the context of informal settlement these innovations can be valid.

We believe that despite holding potential, these innovations should be combined if adequate solutions are to be developed. The combination should consider the different components of a technical sanitation solutions and its relevance to the local context.

Thanks
Chris
Christophe Muanda
Researcher & Lecturer
Centre for Water and Sanitation Research
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: +27219596813
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Alta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: Technical sanitation solutions

Hi Chris,
if you share your view on the mentioned points it might be easier to get some return.
The topic is interesting for sure.
Regards,
Christoph

• muandac
    Topic Author

Technical sanitation solutions - definition?

My name is Chris Muanda (a PhD candidate and researcher at CWSR). I'm currently working on a research project which aimed at finding "technical sanitation solutions for informal areas". An attempt was made to define the term "technical sanitation solution" but couldn't manage to reach consensus with various roleplayers (involved in this research). In this regard, I seek your opinion on the following:
1. What do you understand by technical sanitation solution?
2. What entitles a technical sanitation solution? (in terms of attributes etc.)
3. Strictly speaking, what are the attributes of a technical sanitation solution in the context of informal areas?
4. What technical sanitation solution can suit better the conditions of informal areas?
5. In view of current innovation/solutions funded by BMGF, do you think it can be applicable to informal areas?

Your view is greatly appreciated

Best regards

Chris
Christophe Muanda
Researcher & Lecturer
Centre for Water and Sanitation Research
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: +27219596813
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds