Wellbeing of Sanitary Worker - guidelines on safety of sanitary worker

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Wellbeing of Sanitary Worker

First off, the report attached by Sudhir is excellent, and constitute a useful document.

My reference to the wellbeing and safety of sanitary worker is in a broader sense. This was prompted by the recent death of sanitary worker in Sindh, who had to face sewer gases, when he went down to clean the sewer.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Mughal,
What is your definition of a "sanitary worker"? If indeed you were referring mainly to pit emptying, then I suggest we change the thread title and move it to the sub-category on pit emptying.

If it's broader then please modify the title of the thread accordingly. In that case, could Sudhir please post that WRC report in a separate thread under pit emptying: forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...its-and-septic-tanks

I haven't opened the report yet but the title strikes me as super relevant and one that could deserve some recognition and discussion here on the forum (and be added to the SuSanA library).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• SudhirPillay
  • Working for the WRC on the "Sanitation Research Fund for Africa" Project. Interested in on-site sanitation systems and faecal sludge management

Hi, this report was produced last year wrt to pit emptiers. Hope this document helps.

WRC Research report K5/2134:
Understanding and addressing the exposure of workers, the public and the environment to pathogens during pit emptying.
Physical Address:
Water Research Commission, 4 Daventry Road, Lynnwood Bridge Office Park, Bloukrans Building, Pretoria.

Postal Address:
Private Bag X03
GEZINA, 0031, South Africa

email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
mobile: +27 (0)60 502 1841

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Wellbeing of Sanitary Worker

I'm looking for some publications that highlight the wellbeing of sanitary worker, rights of sanitary worker, and ILO's guidelines on safety of sanitary worker.

Those who have such publications are requested to kindly post on this forum.

Thank you,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds