Help locating sanitation workers associations, unions and networks in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: Help locating sanitation workers associations, unions and networks in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America

Hey Maria, 
Apologies for this late response. I don't know how helpful this is going to be but posting nonetheless. 
You could check with Alix (a doctoral candidate at WEDC) who surveyed (online, due to Covid) emptying service providers in African countries and has also posted her relevant publication here:  Surveys on Regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge (pits and septic tanks)

I hope this helps.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • HAPitot
  • Environmental engineer with a passion for low cost and resource recovery issues in sanitation

Re: Help locating sanitation workers associations, unions and networks in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America

Thank you Chaiwe!

I'll contact him about Adjumani, Uganda.
Hanns-Andre Pitot
M.Eng. Environmental Pollution Control
presently in Seesen, Germany
The following user(s) like this post: Chaiwe

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear Hanns,

I have spoken with the  'Advisor to the PASA President' who is also the Zambia Pit-emptiers Association President and he is happy for me to share his contact here in response to your request and for anyone who may wish to reach out/contact either associations.

Name: Phillip Soboya
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mobile: +260 96 9806647/ +260 97 9157813

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: HAPitot

• HAPitot
  • Environmental engineer with a passion for low cost and resource recovery issues in sanitation

Hello everybody,

Could you inform me how to contact PASA?

Kind regards, H-A
Hanns-Andre Pitot
M.Eng. Environmental Pollution Control
presently in Seesen, Germany

• EMary
  • A researcher by profession. Experienced in content creation, research, training and project management and coordination in the Sanitation sector.

Hey Maria, 

Welcome to the SuSanA and excited to see your first post! 
 I concur with Chaiwe with regards to PASA from the African region.  Within South Asia, in India most of the pit emptying services are provided by the private service providers such as  www.honeysucker.in/index.html  . I do recall that there was BMGF funded project where the pit emptiers in Bangalore, Karnataka were brought together to form an association in 2013-14 by CDD Society. There is also the NFSSM Alliance in India, who might be of help in leading you to more national level associations within India for your project. I would also like to point you to the FSM Toolbox knowledge repository www.fsmtoolbox.com/learn  which might also be helpful for you.

Good Luck!

Best/

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator
Programs and Administration
Faecal Sludge Management Alliance
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: mjuribep

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Hello Maria,

I am aware that there is a network body of emptiers associations that was established some two years ago under the African Water Association (AfWA), known as the Pan African Sanitation Actors (PASA).

These are a few countries I am aware are a part of this body: Zambia, Uganda, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Mali, Senegal. Each of these countries has emptiers associations or is in the process of establishing affiliated associations.

I am happy to assist further with the contact information of relevant persons and have already pointed one person to your post. 

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: papadima, mjuribep

• GgRivin

Re: Reply: Help locating sanitation workers associations, unions and networks in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America

Hi all,

We have Pit Emptiers Association based in Malawi.

It is an association of Entrepreneurs in sanitation business. Should you need more information let us keep in touch.

Regards.
The following user(s) like this post: rkaupp, mjuribep

• mjuribep
    Topic Author
  • Masters level student of International Development, Civil and Environmental Engineer with experience in WASH infrastructure projects

Help locating sanitation workers associations, unions and networks in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America

Hi everyone!

As part of my Masters degree I am trying to locate all associations, unions, networks and organisations of sanitation workers in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Latin America, especially at the grassroots level. Any information about organisations that you may be aware of would be extremely useful, or even links to contacts that might help me to track down the more informal organisations that will not show up on an internet search.

Your help is much appreciated!

Maria Uribe
MA International Development student
BSc. Environmental Engineering, BSc. Civil Engineering
The following user(s) like this post: rkaupp, EMary

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds