Designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! (urine diversion squatting plates) - publication Compilation of contemporary toilet designs

34.9k views

Page selection:
  • Amos
  • Simple Solution Seeker

Re: Designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! (urine diversion squatting plates) - publication Compilation of contemporary toilet designs

Below is a video of a slightly different squat toilet. It needs perfected as it is only in concept stage. Yet I believe it could be a quite sanitary system as the feces container can be blocked while the urine tray can be quite small and easy to keep odor free.

Amish background. Natural born questioner, researcher, and developer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • bernhard
    Topic Author

Re: Designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! (urine diversion squatting plates) - publication Compilation of contemporary toilet designs

;) Hi Cecilia,

Thanks for sharing the link to the other tread - I was a aware of the doc but havn´t had a look at it for quite some time - very cool how much more information was added in the meantime.

I´m sorry I don´t have any useful 3d data of a sitting UDDT. We did some experiments with urine diverting sitting bowls but even this was not very satisfying. I´d ask re.source / sanivation / mosan (Mona).

PM me if you need help contacting them.

edit: or Ghanasan/Clean Team...

• CeciliaRodrigues

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you for the initiative of creating the drobpox folder! Let me ask you a question before you leave. I am wondering if during your research you came across a similar compilation (dimensions, technical drawings) regarding pedestal or cartridge models.

I also find this other thread very useful, forum.susana.org/forum/categories/141-ot...s-all-out-there#5738, as well as the google doc: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtT...1E&usp=sharing#gid=0, but still there are hardly any detail.

I am working on a UDDT project in Brazil and I would like to make a small model in scale (at least of the toilet seat with the diversion feature) to address communities. We have cards with pictures and drawings but since it's a quite new technology for most of us here, I suppose the model would communicate better.

Any hints would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Kind regards, Cecília.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

• bernhard
    Topic Author

And another update:
I added the latest CAD files from the pan geometry to the dropbox (links in the first post in this thread)
This is the thermoformed and fiberglass reinforced prototype geometry as it was used in our 2014 field test in Nairobi and shown on the RTTC Fair in Delhi.

...and a final side note: similar to quite a number of "RTTC designers" I´m sorry to tell you, I had to leave the project. I will miss my BlueDiversion Team at EOOS and Eawag and the wonderful time we spent together working on this toilet. All the best for the future!
I hope to stay in the field of sanitation or at least human centered / social design so I will definitely keep my account here for now!
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• bernhard
    Topic Author

just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Paul Mackereth - the designer for the Loughborough RTTC team - also shared information and CAD files on the interface he developed. Thanks Paul!!!

here is the link:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Note by moderator: Or see here on the Forum where Paul recently posted his "LuLoo Concept Pack":
www.forum.susana.org/forum/categories/14...u-develop-it-further
(just to avoid confusion because it is in this sub-category on Urine Diversion: the LuLoo Concept Pack is without urine Diversion)

Attachments:

• Rod

Re: Research Log - compilation of contemporary toilet designs

Thanks for your kind comments about the book and the illustrations. We are aware of its shortcoming too and we see this as a starting point hoping that others will come forward with other designs, particularly those which consider the needs of disabled users. If there is sufficient response we will consider producing a second or revised volume in due course.

Rod
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Research Log - compilation of contemporary toilet designs

Dear Bernhard,

Thanks for posting the link to this document. I had a quick look at it, and I must say I am totally amazed at the beauty of the illustrations and at the wide variety of toilets included! Congratulations to all involved.

These illustrations are amazing. You told me that the original document had photos in them and it was decided to convert the photos into illustrations/drawings. This gives the publication a very "uniform" and professional feeling, so I congratulate the editor (Rod Shaw) and illustrator (Ken Chatterton). (was a software program used that can convert a photo into an illustration?)

I probably wouldn't have called it "contemporary toilet designs", I don't think this title fits very well, as the book also includes treatment aspects and many toilets that are more on the "research" side, rather than what I would call "contemporary".

It is noticeable that most of them use urine diversion. I don't know whether that's coincidence, or a trend, or whether you focussed on urine diversion because you knew that's what you wanted for your Blue Diversion Toilet (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/106-us...mit=12&start=24#7964)?

It reminds me a bit of the "Encycloopedia" by Kory Russel and Sebastien Tilmans which is also very nice:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/141-ot...s-all-out-there#6400

Thanks again for sharing your research log in this format.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, Mona, Amos

• bernhard
    Topic Author

Re: Research Log

I'm delightet to inform you that the collection of toilet designs and technologies that we gathered over the last years at EOOS Design,
during our work on the Blue Diversion Toilet, just got published by Loughborough University.

It is a incomplete collection of interesting stuff that might be helpful for ever designer working in that field.

Here is a link where you can download a pdf for free:

wedc-knowledge.lboro.ac.uk/details.html?id=21302

Bernhard
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, cecile, Mona, CeciliaRodrigues, Amos

• MichaelCarr
  • From Liverpool, UK. Background in military, engineering, education & sales. Published author. Write novels, illustrated children's books, film, TV script. Interest in eco living, have a created a four-part off-the-grid living system and a UDDT.

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite!

Hi there: I think this is a great design. If I may...
The faeces hole could be oval, bigger and deeper (further back)
The fall-off area directly in front of the rear hole could be much deeper to act as a splash back to prevent urine going into rear hole - and to accommodate male parts
The area surrounding the back hole could be concave - so that any urine does not settle on the surface but falls into feaces section - (a tiny amount of urine won't matter)
Yes - the 'neck'in the middle could be wider

My remarks are based on my idea for the top 'seat' of my product and base to be made of metal (recycleable, lightweight, storeable, transportable & mobile)

• MichaelCarr
  • From Liverpool, UK. Background in military, engineering, education & sales. Published author. Write novels, illustrated children's books, film, TV script. Interest in eco living, have a created a four-part off-the-grid living system and a UDDT.

Hi Amos: long time no hear from you. How you doing?

The seat/pan design above is great and very close to my own human8ture figure of 8 design concept. What I want to achieve with my system is to enable people to sit or squat. That is why I have container system that does not require a hole in the ground. Old/infirm/pregnant ladies etc like to sit. Squatting is a major tradition though in Asia and Africa since beginning of time. I have just had another idea to stabilize the container for squatting. That is to have some 'wingdings' /step ups on the sides that fit flush to the floor and hook into the sides.
I am in discussion with United World College students to take on this project for R&D
fingers crossed
If you've got any ideas for how I can develop the top seat part please let me know
ie; materials / how to do
hope you are well Amos - cheers

Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Amos

• bernhard
    Topic Author

Hello Hello ;)
and another update;
I added another 3d scan of a UDDT Pan to the dropbox. We found it on a local market in Kampala, Uganda during our field test. It´s a injection molded piece. Not the best quality but ok. 770g of PE (I think - might be PP as well?)
Looks like there is a lid missing for the feces but I can´t confirm. This is how we bought it and the guy at the market also din´t have more information on the pan.

Whats up fellow designers? I need a bit of support here! :) Anyone willing to share some information? ;)

Cheers
Bernhard
Attachments:

• bernhard
    Topic Author

update update :)

...just uploaded the 3d files of the UDDT-Flush Pan we used in our last field test in Uganda.
It features a foot operated lid, that allows for wash-water collection. Once the pan gets flushed the lid automatically closes (electronically at the moment, but we think abour making it mechanically in the future)

How´s it going fellow designers? Anything new to share?

best regards
bernhard

Note by moderator: see also related thread here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/39-mis...oilet-solutions#4395 and
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/39-mis...oilet-solutions#4463
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, Chantal

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds