• Page:

TOPIC: Putting a stop to open defecation: A Behavior Change Model

Putting a stop to open defecation: A Behavior Change Model 20 Apr 2017 10:10 #21290

• Click here to view this person’s forum profile
    yaib
  • This button allows you to contact another forum user directly by sending a private message.
I am Ibrahim Yakubu From Ghana, a student at Tehran University of Medical Sciences pursuing A Masters program in Health Education.

I intend to work on sanitation(open defecation)in Gushegu District of Northern Ghana for my thesis and probably roll the project out to cover the entire District with the aim of putting an end open defecation.

In the mist of inadequate water supply to the District, there has been the practice of open defecation by the people. A report in 2010 on population census revealed that nine(9) in every ten(10) people did not have toilets in the District, based on this the government of Ghana in collaboration with NGOs implemented a program called Community Led Total Sanitation Project(CLTPS) where people were supported to construct household toilets. In its ranking of the 216 Districts in Ghana on Sanitation,health,education and governance, UNICEF ranked Gushegu District the 210th in 2016. Poor sanitation is part of the reasons why the District has scored such a low mark.

The question now is;
How many households has a toilet after(CLTPS)?
Those who have household toilets, are they using it?
why are people still practicing open defecation upon the implementation of total led community sanitation program?
how effective will behavior change model put a stop to open defecation?

What support do I need for this project?
1. Health Education materials
2. funds to support data collection and health education campaigns
3. hand washing equipment to be placed at public toilets
4. Any relevant resources that can help this project.

I therefore put this up for discussions, supports and ideas on how this project could be achieved.

Thank you.

Yakubu Ibrahim
Health Tutor(MOH)Ghana
RN Dip(GN),B.ed(Health Science), Msc Health Education(Candidate)
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
+233207787877//+989901070592
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds