Pit latrine liners - documented examples

12k views

Page selection:
  • TheIntegrator

Re: Pit latrine liners - documented examples

Hello Esther,

I'm Nelson from the Philippines and work for our city government as a sanitation worker. We've been using used tires as a pit latrine rings for our Zero Open Defecation Program. Today, used tires are hard to come by, slowing our campaign. We hope to experiment on concrete latrine rings next year with added plastic shredded materials with is abundant in our local landfill.

Hope this will work and be able to meet our target by 2022.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Nelson

P.s. Hope to document it this time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • TheIntegrator

Hi Kris,

Thanks for sharing the study on manufacturing waste plastic to soil bricks. OMG it's so technical Kris! Maybe we will just continue with shredded plastic, cement, and sand. Yesterday we went to our city dump and talked with the scavengers of our intentions to experiment on making latrine rings out of concrete and plastic. They were so happy and started gathering the materials for the exchange of rice.
Hope to see some developments this 2019 Kris and be able to turn garbage into toilets.

Thank you once again Kris for sharing your time with us.
Thank you and more power.

Sincerely yours,

Nelson

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Maybe something like this would make sense if you want to utilize a lot of plastic waste:
www.ijteee.org/final-print/apr2014/Utili...stic-soil-Bricks.pdf

With the right mould you could probably make nice curved interlocking bricks out of the above.

• TheIntegrator

Hello Glestikow,

Very impressive and practical design! Thanks for sharing. I understand we don't need reinforcing bars to strengthen the lining? I don't know if adding shredded plastic trash to the mixture would weaken the structure? If this will work, surely we could help lessen the volume of garbage dumped in our city landfill.

Thank you so much Glestikow for sharing your experiences. We only have 900+ households in my city without access to any toilets. This design would surely accelerate our Zero Open Defecation targets in my locality. We will experiment on this too.

Thank you once again and more power!

Sincerely yours,

Nelson

• TheIntegrator

Dear Kris,

Thanks so much for sharing your time to reply. You're correct, the above link you shared offers not much information and more on holding water rather on fecal sludge. We've seen on TV of people making bricks out of trash for building homes, maybe we can also design one for latrine rings.

Visited our city dump scavengers today and they will start gathering the materials. We are hoping to experiment on this soon. "Turning Garbage into Toilets."

Again, thank you so much.

Sincerely yours,

Nelson

• JKMakowka

Hi Nelson,

sorry not sure what happend to Crest-Tank's website. Their sister-company from Kenia still has this page on the "perma well" plastic liner, but it is much less informative: www.kentainers.co.ke/product-category/ag...-ground-agriculture/

• TheIntegrator

Hi Kris,

Good morning and good morning also to all following this thread. I am Nelson from the Philippines and works for our local government sanitation section. As of the present, we are using used tires as pit latrine liners for OD households in my city. Interested to follow the link you shared but cannot access. Anyway, hope you can share more links for us to improve. We are thinking of utilizing the abundant trash in our city dump to build latrine pit rings. Kindly show us more information on this. Thank you so much.

Sincerely yours,

Nelson

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Lining unlined pit latrines

Dear Alice,
In my role as moderator I have moved your post into this existing thread. If you scroll up you'll see some responses to a similar question that Esther had posed. Please let us know if you find the information provided useful and if you have follow-up questions. Also, if you find more pit lining options yourself, please do share them in this thread for the benefit of everyone. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum - I see this is your third post! :)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• AliceCellamare

Re: Lining unlined pit latrines

Hello everybody,
does anyone know about any work that has been done about possible techniques for tranforming an unlined pit into a lined one?

Did anyone try to do so? What challenges were encountered and what was done in the end?

I will be grateful for any (also indirectly correlated) information.

Greetings,
Alice
The following user(s) like this post: TheIntegrator

• Ashok

Hello Esther,
I am sorry for not having paid much attention to your query earlier on the forum.
I am attaching a photograph of a ferrocement liner, which is flat and therefore easy to manufacture.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Four or even three of these can be tied together to make a pit, which hopefully would last a life time.
I use it for leach pits.
It costs me in India to make one of such piece Rs 250 only. So a pit with four such planks would be Rs 1000 ($ 16).
the excavation is extra. But the product is a permanent solution with only 1" (25 mm) thickness reducing the excavation considerably as compared to use of bricks. the manufacturing is also very easy and fast. A mason with one helper can make more than fifty pieces per shift of 8 hours. If you want it without holes, so much the better and faster.
But, a major question crops up, that of CONTAMINATION OF SUB SOIL WATER.
I am surprized that no one has raised that issue so far OR AM I BEING PARANOID?
Ashok

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: TheIntegrator

• glestikow

Hi Esther,

Our iDE Ethiopia team implemented a human-centered design approach to address pit collapse issues. The result is a simple concrete and soil pit liner, as well as a business model for local pit diggers to offer the solution to customers. You can read about the development of the pit liner and some basic technical specs
here .

Some more pictures on constructing the liner are also available here .

Happy to put you in touch with our team if you'd like more technical detail or context. Thanks!
The following user(s) like this post: Simonewing, traine

• JKMakowka

Maybe not what you are looking for, but I think this might be a pretty good pit-latrine liner as well: www.crestanks.co.ug/product/permawell/ (It's designed by this Ugandan plastic molding company for hand-dug wells)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds