Key documents for the sub-category on hand washing

15.4k views

Page selection:
  • WASHanna

Re: Key documents for the sub-category on hand washing

Glad you think the Global Handwashing Day Planner's Guide looks like a great tool! I certainly think it is! :)

You are right, it is a bit large.

The Annexes are all individually available for download here .

We are going to translate the Planner's Guide this year into at least one other language, and I will also explore making a low resolution option. Soon (next week) we will launch a new website, which will include the "how to" portion as one of the webpages so that should make this accessible to folks as well.

Best,

Hanna
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
@WASH_Hanna
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

For anyone interested in hand washing, I just wanted to mention that I received the following feedback by e-mail from Hanna Woodburn (from PPPHW) and have amended the first post in this thread accordingly:

++++++++++

The selection of 5 key documents for handwashing is good. A few suggestions:

You could switch the School Community Manual for this document: www.unicef.org/wash/schools/files/UNICEF...ide-3_Star-Guide.pdf

You may want to add the Global Handwashing Day Planner’s Guide, which gives a lot of great handwashing information, and ideas about how to celebrate Global Handwashing Day: www.globalhandwashing.org/resources/reso...rs-guide-3rd-edition

As a FYI, we plan to update the Handwashing Handbook this year.

+++++++++

That Global Handwashing Day Planner’s Guide looks really awesome. The only small drawback is that it is 10 MB large. Perhaps Hanna could check if a lower resolution could be made available?
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Mughal,

Well, in my opinion, limiting it to 5 key documents is the key to this exercise. The number could also be 3, or 10. But I think 5 is pretty much perfect.
5 key documents to start with if a person is new PLUS an explanation on how to find many, many more by useing the additional links which I put under Point 7 in my post above, i.e.:

(7) Further resources

There are many more important documents dealing with this topic. Here is how to find them:

The whole idea is to guide people in this jungle of information.

It's to answer their question: "which documents should I read first if I am interested in the topic of handwashing (in the context of development cooperation)?"

But of course it's also important that e.g. the SuSanA library is up to date with containing all important relevant documents on this topic.

And yes, I hope that others will join in this thread when they have the time in particular handwashing expert Hanna Woodburn from PPPHW (she told me by e-mail that she is busy until mid March though).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Elisabeth,

I would suggest that you may not limit the publications up to 5. Keep it open. The only criteria should be interesting publications - interesting and informative for readers.

Also, please wait - lets see how others respond.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Dear Mughal,

Thanks for attaching these publications. Are there any of those seven that you have attached which you'd say should replace any of the 4 that I have pre-selected in my post? I could imagine that perhaps the first one that you listed by CARE, UNICEF etc. should become the 5th recommended document (or the one from the CLTS Knowledge Hub)?

You see, what I am trying to do with these "key documents" is to pre-select the 5 most important ones as a service for people who are totally new to this and who are drowning in too much information and don't know where to start reading. It is a way of providing a "curated reading list", telling them what to read first and why.

The other documents they can then find later either by using the links I provided under Point 7 or by doing general Google searches.

So what I am trying to achieve is to build a little consensus amongst handwashing experts which 5 key documents (only 5) should be recommended to newcomers. This is what I am trying to do, not only with the topic of handwashing but with also all the other topics which are sub-categories of the forum.
Here you can see how far I got so far (the 8 green ones have hyperlinks and are done; 24 still remain to be done):
forum.susana.org/key-documents

I will check with the SuSanA secretariat which of the ones that you added to your post should also be uploaded in the SuSanA library. We normally focus there on documents of particular importance or those that are not yet uploaded elsewhere or are not easy to find with a Google search for whatever reason. From this perspective, I would recommend that the first two from your list are added to the SuSanA library (document by CARE, UNICEF etc. and the one from CLTS Knowledge Hub). The other journal papers are also interesting but I guess it is impossible to upload every journal paper on handwashing to the SuSanA library, it would be too much work (and those that are behind a paywall for copyright reasons we cannot upload anyhow).

Thanks again for your support.

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

I'm also attaching some publications on handwashing.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Key documents for the sub-category on hand washing

For more information about why I am creating this new thread, please see here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-gen...d-sub-category-level

++++++++++++++

This thread is a "sticky thread" which means it will always remain at the top of this sub-category.
It contains a recommendation for new people regarding the most important five documents in the thematic area of "hand washing".

The initial selection was done by me (with input by Hanna Woodburn from PPPHW), but this is open for discussion and can be adjusted regularly.

Recommended top five documents in the thematic area of "hand washing" in reverse chronological order: *

(1) UNICEF, GIZ (2016). Scaling up group handwashing in schools - Compendium of group washing facilities across the globe. New York, USA; Eschborn, Germany
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2641

The Compendium of Group Washing Facilities aims to inform and inspire WASH practitioners, schools and their communities to strengthen healthy practices and ensure a healthy learning environment for children.

(2)
PPPHW (2014). Global Handwashing Day Planner's Guide. 3rd edition, prepared by FHI 360 for the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap
www.globalhandwashing.org/resources/reso...rs-guide-3rd-edition
Note: It is a large file (10 MB) but the Annexes are all individually available for download here .

This Planner’s Guide is a resource to help individuals, groups, and organizations around the world plan their Global Handwashing Day activities. In this guide you will find practical tips, tools, facts, and ideas to implement a successful Global Handwashing Day celebration. This guide also includes suggestions for promoting handwashing every day of the year—beyond Global Handwashing Day.

(3)
Vujcic, J., Ram, P.K. (2013). UNICEF Handwashing Promotion - Monitoring and Evaluation Module. UNICEF, New York, USA
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1939

This guide goes through planning and implementing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) for a handwashing promotion programme. The content of this module is designed to be adapted to a variety of programmes.

(4)
Morgan, P. (2011). Hand washing devices - How to make and use. Aquamor Pvt Ltd., Zimbabwe
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1490

Simple hand washers, like some described in this booklet, are easy to make and cost almost nothing. They can be placed in several places in the garden or home – near a toilet or in the kitchen. They are economical in their use of water – a precious commodity. Inside the home, soap can be placed nearby. In the garden even wood ash, which acts as a mild abrasive and is slightly alkaline can be effectively used if there is no soap. The construction and daily use of these simple devices can make a huge difference to the health and wellbeing of an individual or a family.

(5)
Curtis, V., Scott, B., Cardosi, J. (2000). The Handwashing Handbook - A guide for developing a hygiene promotion program to increase handwashing with soap. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank, Washington DC, USA
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/427

This handbook is intended for staff in government and development organizations charged with carrying out handwashing programs. Decision-makers in Ministries and funding agencies will also find assistance in designing policies and programs to improve public health.

You can find further important documents and website links dealing with this topic here: Please provide your feedback. What do you think of this selection? We can update it from time to time.

Regards,
Elisabeth

* The documents recommended here all focus on issues in developing countries and countries in transition. However, some of the underlying principles would apply more or less to all countries of the world.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds