Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women (Pune, Maharashtra, India)

10.1k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women (India)

Dear Riya,

Thanks for these answers. How many customers are you serving with these 7 buses? Don't they get very hot inside or do they have air conditioning?

Similarities to the Eram eToilets that I see:

They are both public toilets which are meant to provide a nice experience and look pretty. They both use conventional flush toilets and require a sewer connection. They are both free of charge to use (are they?).

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. Could you please also tell us something about the other project by your company 3SIndia /Sara Plast? I mean this one: "SEWBER – Septic Aggregator Application - To develop and commercialize an Uber-like app that can reduce the amount of untreated waste released into the environment in urban and peri-urban locations in 2 pilot cities in India"
www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/394
(= topic for a new thread)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Nisha
  • Topic Author

Answers to your questions:

1. Who is funding this pilot work?
This is a Corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative. We execute CSR projects for Government, Public and corporate companies. At present we have 7 buses in Pune which are funded under the CSR mandates of a private company.

2. Is it easier/cheaper to install toilets and showers into old buses than it would be into standard shipping containers like others do? Or is it really important to be able to drive them to other places?
These are mobile units, however are stationed at one place when open for use. Installing toilets in an old bus is based on the concept of recycle and reuse of old buses, thus reducing land fill.

3. What actually happens to the wastewater? Does it go to a sewer and treatment plant or is it treated onsite?
The bus is directly connected to the sewage line.

4. How does your system compare to the eToilets of Eram Scientific
I have looked through the Eram etoilets, they look very different from our Ti bus toilet concept. It would be great if you could help me understand what comparison are we looking at here, I would be happy to answer .

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Riya,

Thanks for posting about your work here on the Forum!
I recently created a specific sub-category for public toilets innovations in India, to make it easier to find these threads again. A few of them are about the eToilets by Eram Scientific.
This is the sub-category: forum.susana.org/india

I have a few small questions to you just to get the ball rolling:
  1. Who is funding this pilot work? (You said: The pilot project has three Ti buses in Pune, Maharashtra stationed outside high footfall areas.)
  2. Is it easier/cheaper to install toilets and showers into old buses than it would be into standard shipping containers like others do? Or is it really important to be able to drive them to other places?
  3. What actually happens to the wastewater? Does it go to a sewer and treatment plant or is it treated onsite?
  4. How does your system compare to the eToilets of Eram Scientific?

I look forward to reading your answers.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Nisha
  • Topic Author

Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women (India)

There is a massive need to increase the availability and standard of communal toilets in India to defeat the practice of ODF. Where they exist they are poorly maintained, hence are unhygienic which deters people, particularly women from using them. To overcome the issue, Saraplast has come up with a new concept of refurbishing old buses into integrated sanitation service facilities under the name of Toilet integration Centers (Ti). The pilot project has three Ti buses in Pune, Maharashtra stationed outside high footfall areas. These facilities are being used by women of all strata of the society, with a clean and safe toilet experience.
The Ti Sanitation Center is a one stop answer for all women looking for safe clean toilets. It is not only toilets on wheels but also a multipurpose resource for women. It comprises of western, India toilets, shower cubicles, taps with water saving technology, panic Button in case of emergencies, digital feedback system, trained female attendant. The buses are also enhanced by Solar operated lights. This facility can be connected to the existing urban utilities and drain lines that lead to the Sewage Treatment plants. Hence reducing the dependencies of daily evacuation of waste. This level of service and quality is not generally available in communal facilities. Saraplast is also seeking to explore new routes to market via franchising and licensing their capability.The other details of the bus toilet can be looked up at
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: canaday, nityajacob

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds