AfricaSan4 (25-27 May 2015) : All events and feedback

10.7k views

Page selection:
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: AfricaSan4 (25-27 May 2015) : All events and feedback

Dear Elisabeth,

You are right. The presentations of AfricaSan4 from the SuSanA webpage are only those in which SuSanA was involved. However, as you mentioned, the invitation is open to everyone who wants to include their presentation in the SuSanA website, to send us the files ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) including a short description of the presentation.

Kind regards,
Evelyn on behalf the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Evelyn,

That's great. Just to clarify: you didn't upload all the presentations of AfricaSan4 but only those of SuSanA partners or of events with SuSanA presence, right? That's fair enough as such uploading is a fair bit of work.

Would the invitation be open that if someone presented at AfricaSan4 and would like their presentation to be included in the page that you created, that they could send their presentation to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.?

I am thinking e.g. of the CLTS presentations by the CLTS Knowledge Hub which I asked about here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/5-clts...negal-may-2015#14805

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear SuSanA community,

the presentations of the 4th AfricaSan conference are now available in the SuSanA library and in the conference materials section: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-materials-2/2015.

Looking forward to reading further feedback and impressions from the AfricaSan 4!

Kind regards,

Evelyn on behalf the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Kitch,

When will the presentations from the AfricaSan4 conference be available online? I tried to check your website but it seems to be temporarily down? Is this the right URL: www.africasan.com ? (edit one day later: now it works again)

For example Petra had said here that she gave you presentations from their CLTS event for uploading.

To SuSanA secretariat: I think it would be good if at least part of the presentations from AfricaSan4 could also be added to the SuSanA website here: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-materials-2/2015
and also be linked from the SuSanA library.

I know that is a lot of work and perhaps it's sufficient to mirror or link to the AfricaSan4 page. However, from experience, conference websites are sometimes not as long-lived as one would like and then the materials are no longer accessible whereas on the SuSanA website they would be available for many years to come, and it's also the "one stop shop" idea for SuSanA.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• WASHanna

All,

The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing was honored to host two events at AfricaSan4: a Regional Handwashing Think Tank and a session on scaling up handwashing programming. In addition to summaries of our events, we wrote daily blog updates about our thoughts and impressions from the conference.

All the materials that we published are listed here . I encourage you to check them out and let us know what you think!
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
@WASH_Hanna

• sebamug
  • Municipal Health Officer

Dear all,
As reported above by Cecilia, Moshi Municipal Council with support by GIZ had sent a representative to the AfricaSan to present the SFD approach developed by sanitation stakeholders in Moshi. I had sent an email to my colleagues back in Tanzania reporting about my experiences in Dakar which I herewith want to share with you:

Mgeta reporting from Dakar

Dear colleagues,

I hope you are all doing well.

On Sunday, 23rd May we had a meeting with Deputy Minister of Health (TZ) Dr. Kebwe and other officials from the Ministry of Health who were supported by GIZ, with GIZ Program Director Dr. Arne Panesar, and GIZ officials from various countries.

Meeting of TZ and GIZ teams

The Meeting was so nice. After introducing each other, then I was asked to explain a little bit about SFD. I told them all about SFD I know and they were really impressed. I also told them our way forward and about the signing our sanitation MoU as one way of implementing EThekwini declaration on local level.

While I was explaining on SFD, unexpectedly one of GIZ member switched on the power point and showed our SFD diagram. The minister really appreciated the application of SFD, to me it was important advocacy to the minister.

The Deputy Minister was surprised too with our job done. After the meeting he took me aside and told me what we did was a very nice job and he didn't expect to see something like that from Moshi.

I told him that we intend to conduct a city-wide sanitation survey as a starting point so as to obtain more comprehensive and accurate baseline data and later to see what we need to implement to improve sanitation in Moshi. Really Moshi was an important topic in the discussions. Even people from the ministry were surprised.

On Wednesday 27th the conference went well, and I presented the work and it was excellent. Most of participants in our side event were very excited with the presentation especially the separation of the on-site sanitation into septic tanks and pit latrine attracted their attention. Participants asked questions and I managed to answer them in short and clear. AfricaSan taught me a lot; I gained a lot of experience as well as knowledge.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank so much Hajo, Shobana and the GIZ team for your close assistance during preparation for AfricaSan and supporting me to be in Dakar; no forgetting my colleagues from the Round Table with whom we developed the SFD.

Also I would like to pass my sincere appreciation to Moshi Municipal Director for allowing me to attend the AfricaSan Conference.

Regards,
Sebastian Mgeta,
Acting Municipal Health Officer,
District Neglected Tropical Diseases Coordinator
Moshi Municipal Council
Moshi ~Kilimanjaro,Tanzania
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: hajo

• secretariat

Dear forum members,

after an interesting (and pretty warm!) SuSanA meeting last weekend, SuSanA is now represented with an exhibition booth at the AfricaSan 4 conference. And we were proud to have the President of Senegal, Macky Sall, visiting us and getting informed about SuSanA.
Here is an impression of Stefan Reuter , director of Borda, talking to President Sall and handing him over the SuSanA vision document.

Attachment not found

Stefan Reuter, director of Borda and member of SuSanA, handing over the SuSanA vision document to President Sall of Senegal

Best regards,
Lasse, on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat

• Elisabeth

Re: SFD side event @ 4th AfricaSan Conference in Dakar, Senegal

AfricaSan 4 is in full swing and for those of us who are not in Dakar (like myself), I can highly recommend checking out the tweets from the conference. Look for the hashtag #AfricaSan4, i.e.:
twitter.com/hashtag/AfricaSan4?src=hash

Many people are tweeting, the internet access seems to be good there.
This is the official twitter account of the conference:
twitter.com/AfricaSan4

The president of Senegal was at the opening ceremony, very nice.

Here is the official video of the event, what do you think of it? For me it seems perhaps too much focused on rural areas only (going by the images chosen); although it was interesting to see that reuse in agriculture was stressed (together with health aspects of course):

And here is an interesting blog post by Hanna Woodburn (Global Public-Prviate Partnership on Handwashing, GPPPHW) about Day 1

AfricaSan Day 1: Addressing Inequalities and Talking Big Ideas:

globalhandwashing.org/africasan-day-1-ad...d-talking-big-ideas/

She said e.g.:

This event, which was packed despite the late hour, featured three “big ideas” in handwashing: emotional motivators, behavioral settings, and the science of habit.

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• WASHanna

Re: Hygiene Events at AfricaSan

AfricaSan is May 25-27, and the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing will be hosting two events on hygiene and behavior change. Join us!

The PPPHW Handwashing Behavior Change Think Tank
Monday 25 May from 5:40-7:20 PM
Room C12

At this event we will bring together experts to present state of the art theory and practice around handwashing behavior change, discuss practical recommendations to enhance handwashing programs and policy, and identify new directions for handwashing behavior change research. There will also be the opportunity for you to input your experience and expertise, identifying key challenges on the ground to inform new global research directions needed to further improve handwashing behavior change.

Moving Hygiene Improvement to Scale
Wednesday 27 May from 9-10:30 AM
Room C106

What is the current state of hygiene globally? How can we scale up hygiene through program design, partnerships, integration, and policymaking? To answer these questions, we will examine how Unilever’s handwashing program is achieving scale; how a food hygiene intervention in Mali was scaled up to other countries; lessons from integrating handwashing into education/nutrition policy, and the opportunities presented by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for helping move hygiene implementation to scale.

Handwashing will also be addressed at many other sessions at AfricaSan--download the full calendar here .

Many of the other sessions plan to address hygiene as part of a wider discussion about sanitation and hygiene. Check out the sessions being convened by our partners:

SUNDAY

CLTS Learning and Sharing Workship (WSSCC), 9:30-5:30, King Fahd Palace Hotel
Sanitation and Hygiene for Women and Girls in Africa: Translating commitments into policy and practice (WSSCC, UN Women, the Government of Senegal), 3:30-5:30, UN Women Regional Office, Dakar

MONDAY

Community of Practice (CoP) for Sanitation and Hygiene: Looking back to look forward (WSSCC, Stewards on the Community of Practice on Sanitation and Hygiene), 7:45-9am, venue TBC
Sharing across the SANs: Africa, South Asia, East Asia and Latin and central America (WSSCC), 5:40-7:30, Room C

TUESDAY

Tackling Sustainability of Sanitation Investments; Looking beyond technology and behavior (WaterAid and WSSCC), 11:20-1:00, Room B12
Ministerial Dialogue on CLTS: Strategies to accelerate sustainable practices for the SDGs (CLTS Foundation in partnership with UNICEF and WSSCC), 11:20-1:30, Room C05/C06
Financing sanitation: a local government perspective (WSUP, IRC, USAID, WSSCC), 2-3:30, Room C106
Sanitation and Hygiene for Women and Girls in Africa (WSSCC, UN Women, Government of Senegal), 2-3:30, Room C12
Policy to successful implementation: drivers for action (GIZ, USAID, UNHABITAT/WHO), 4-5:30, Room Ampitheatre
Influencing decision makers - finance, equity, institutional leadership (IRC, Gates Foundation, WSSCC, WSUP), 4-5:30, Room C106
CSOs and Sanitation: How Far and How Much More? (CONIWAS, WaterAid, WSSCC, EWP), 4-5:30, Room B12
Sanitation as a movement - showcasing experiences of GSF programmes in Benin, Madagascar and Togo (Global Sanitation Fund/ WSSCC), 5:40-7:10, Room BC12
WASHBAT – Experience with Sanitation Bottleneck Analysis (UNICEF),5:40-7:10, Room B12

WEDNESDAY

Scaling up Elimination of Open Defecation Programs with Quality (UNICEF), 9-10:30, Room B12
Tackling urban sanitation city-wide (USAID), (-10:30, Room C05/C06
Sanitation supply chains in Sub-Saharan Africa (UNICEF), 11-12:30, Room B12
Governance, accountability and tacking corruption (WSP at the World Bank), 11-12:30, Room C12
Strengthening Learning in Africa: AMCOW-IRC MoU and coordinated learning for sustainable WASH services (AMCOW IRC, UNICEF WCARO, WSSCC), 12:40-1:50, Room B12
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
@WASH_Hanna

• secretariat

Re: AfricaSan4 (25-27 May 2015) : Call for registration

Dear SuSanA partners,

SuSanA is having an exihibition booth at Africa San 4, in Dakar from May 25 - 27, 2015. If you are attending the Africa San 4 conference and would like to exhibit a handful of your publications at the SuSanA booth, you are welcome to contact the SuSanA secretariat.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Dakar!

Kind regards,

Annkathrin on behalf the SuSanA Secretariat

• Kitchinme Bawa
    Topic Author
  • Sanitation Officer at African Ministers' Council on Water (AMCOW). A specialized technical committee of the African Union

AfricaSan4 (25-27 May 2015) : All events and feedback

The Government of Senegal is the convener and organizer of the AfricaSan 4 holding in Dakar, Senegal from May 25 - 27 2015. AMCOW and the AfricaSan International Task Force will provide technical support to the Government of Senegal in the organization of the AfricaSan 4. The conference is expected to attract about 40 Ministers responsible for sanitation from across Africa, along with about 1000 participants drawn from government agencies, civil society, donors and development banks, multilaterals, research organizations and the private sector.

This conference is one of AMCOW's path-breaker initiatives to promote political prioritization of sanitation and hygiene and will be attended by Ministers responsible for sanitation and the key agencies working in sanitation and water in Africa.

Poor hygiene and lack of access to safe sanitation and large-scale open defecation continues to underlie major health problems, undermines economic growth, pollutes the environment, prevents girls from school attendance and traps Africans in poverty. Over 800 preventable child deaths occurred every day in 2013 in Africa from diarrhoea, caused primarily by poor sanitation and hygiene. The latest update of the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Program shows that 644 million Africans in Sub-Saharan African still do not have access to improved sanitation and that one in 4 Africans practice open defecation.

AfricaSan is primarily a pan-African political initiative to build momentum to address this ongoing epidemic. It has lobbied to influence global, regional and national sanitation and hygiene targets; to better make the case for investment in sanitation and hygiene; and to improve sectoral performance. Since AMCOW adopted AfricaSan, its political influence has grown and AfricaSan 3 was honoured with the attendance of His Excellency Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda.

Since 2008 AfricaSan has been associated with establishing and tracking progress towards achieving the eThekwini commitments. AfricaSan has also features a growing and high-level learning exchange on different aspects of sanitation and hygiene service improvement. AfricaSan conferences, with their blend of political engagement and technical exchange have attracted growing recognition as the key events in the sanitation calendar in Africa.

AMCOW has established an AMCOW Sanitation Task Force that has oversight over AMCOW sanitation activities, and steers the design and development of AfricaSan meetings.

Please visit the AfricaSan 4 website to register here: www.africasan.com

Best regards
Kitch

AfricaSan 4
Kitchinme BAWA
Sanitation Officer
African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW) Secretariat
11 T.Y. Danjuma, Asokoro, Abuja, Nigeria.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds