What African cities really need for sanitation systems

Page selection:
  • NMORY
  • Agrologist

Re: Bill Gates blog posts: This Ingenious Machine Turns Feces Into Drinking Water (Omni-processor by Janicki to process sludge) - now in Dakar, Senegal

Hi Mwaniki,

I agree with what you're saying which is why I advocate strongly for a decentralized in situ approach. Just like the ANILA stove in India, the best solutions when infrastructure is lagging (and even when it is present!) tend to edge the way of decentralization.

Could you elaborate on the particular suitability requirements for eco-sanitation in Dakar? My team and I are currently collecting data on the barriers to UDDT adoption through various case studies while comparing with current literature. We hope to adjust our lab-scale prototype in situ urine conversion unit to reflect these barriers by offering a simple, affordable and socially acceptable solution for areas experiencing rapid urban expansion by doing away with the headaches of centralized treatment while keeping carbon in the ground where it belongs.

Regards,

Nico

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • mwaniki

Re: What African cities really need for sanitation systems

Hi Pawan

The way I see it, African cities don’t need machines to convert sludge into drinking water. What is needed is the affordable systems to properly dispose off the fecal waste due to fast expansion of informal settlements.

Priority sanitation options open to programmes for these conditions could be public health and environmental outcomes, financial investment arrangements and partnerships. And may be technologies to convert wastewater for agriculture. And that could be development for the people.

Regards / Mwaniki
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.

• pkjha
    Topic Author
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

What African cities really need for sanitation systems

Note by moderator: This post used to be in this thread: Re: Bill Gates blog posts: This Ingenious Machine Turns Feces Into Drinking Water (Omni-processor by Janicki to process sludge) - now in Dakar, Senegal (forum.susana.org/105-processing-technolo...now-in-dakar-senegal)
It has been split off to preserve the clarity of the topic thread.

+++++++++

Hi Mwaniki
Development of technology is one part. Its applicability is another and important part. A technology has least importance, if not applicable due to social, environmental or financial factors.

Pawan
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds