Sanitary system to replace septic tank or municipal system

36.1k views

Page selection:
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: Sanitary system to replace septic tank or municipal system

Hello Patrick,
could you please send me some references to a short term thermopile aerobic step (for hygenization) and digestion afterwards? I heard of that combination but I never saw one. Seems to be an interesting possibility.

Yours
Christoph

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • PatrickBBB
  • Water and environment engineer.

JKMakowka wrote: Biogas production after heat disinfection will be a bit difficult and for sure require some outside source of the needed methanogenic bacteria.

What do you mean?

After the inoculation phase the biogas plant is not reliant on the microorganisms provided by the substrate. In fact heat pre-treatment is common practice in Norway and is considered beneficial as it is a heat source(especially if it is a thermophile process), all though a cooling period is usually required.
I'm here to learn

• paulv
  • Topic Author

The macerator marine toilet is a toilet that most users will find acceptable, and it also creates a slurry that is easy to move through pipe, and it is in a form that can easily be digested in the biogas generator. The marine toilet pumps to a holding tank.

I apologize that my "concept" changes over time, but the current idea for a heat treatment vessel is a section of black iron pipe which is the focus of a trough solar collector. The black iron pipe has solenoid valves on either end. Waste is collected in the holding tank and a valve is opened to allow waste to fill the pipe, then the valve closes. When the pipe and its contents reaches 70C, the second valve opens, dumping the heat treated waste into a biogas generator. There is a vent in the black iron pipe.

Previously I intended to heat the waste using a copper coil with hot water running through it.

The controller is something like an Arduino programmable device, which senses temperature and opens and closes valves.

No greywater would be included in this system, only the output of the marine toilet.

The green furnace bioreactor is just something interesting that came up in discussion.

The reason that this is so complicated is that I am trying to create a toilet and processing system that can be approved as a substitute for a septic tank, or even municipal sanitary sewer. When a house is constructed, it must have some type of approved waste system. In some areas, when a house is sold, the waste system is inspected. These are the type of approvals I am trying to accomplish.

If I had my choice, I would use something like this:

www.c-head.com/BoonJon_system.html

But I don't believe it is legal to use this system, and I doubt that it would ever be permitted because of the chance that a user would improperly dispose of waste.

• patso74

Paulv,

I see that you are looking for the one-size fits all solution, so the wicking bed option is not where you are going, but maybe the information will help with some component of your eventual solution.

I'll be interested in seeing what others suggest and will continue to follow this thread.

I did not understand exactly how the pdf for the green furnace bioreactor fits into your wastewater treatment requirements. Would this become your digestor for the wastewater stream? This system seems to require a lot of user input, storing/managing material etc.

As for your proposed components for the system, I have the following questions:

Low water use marine toilet with macerator pump - what led to your decision for a macerator pump vs low flush, microflush, foamflush or vacuum technologies?
Process container with hot water coil and venting - Can you describe where in the process this would be applied and for what purpose.
Hot water heater and hot water reservoir separate from drinking water - Can you describe where in the process this would be applied and for what purpose.
Controller to monitor heat, control valves, control hot water pump - can you expand further

Are you planning on separating grey and blackwater prior to treatment?

Apologies in advance if I missed something here, feel free to direct me to the information if you have already provided this.

As for developing a system that is applicable for pretty much anywhere in the US, my thought is that there are such huge variables between the states (climate/rainfall, landscape, socioeconomic conditions, differences between rural, suburban and urban requirements and options etc.)which would greatly influence my decisions for site specific appropriate design.

Have you considered how you will address these differences between states?

Pat

• paulv
  • Topic Author

The goal is to design a system that will be certified to be used pretty much anywhere in the US.

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Keith and dear Paul,

In my opinion around peoples houses all systems have to be SIMPLE as possible, without much technical and power consuming components, just a simple treatment for greywater:

-just collecting faeces and urine from dry systems. see examples

source: www.holzapfel-konsorten.de

- Transport via "normal" honey-suckers.
- centralized treatment plants for collected faeces and urine may be much more sophisticated their, if possible via AD-step (biogas) and additional aerobic step and P-recovery or via composting facilities.

Best Regards,
Detlef

See in German language: holzapfel-konsorten.de/fileadmin/user_up...TTCGW/TTCGW-Wohn.pdf

The combined hopper for faeces and urine is a new development covered by patents for separated storage of faeces and urine in ONE hopper.
Faeces and urine of up to 10,000 uses of toilette's can be stored without any maintenance or odors, without any additives and without any connection to electricity, water or sewer. The volume of the hopper and the disposable quantity is very small, due to a concentrated and separated storage of both substances.
Faeces are neither visible nor smellable, the user has no contact to the substances. This is the crucial point of improvement in comparison to TTC toilets (compost toilets)...

read more in English language: www.holzapfel-konsorten.de/fileadmin/use...e-01-11_engl_web.pdf
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/
The following user(s) like this post: KeithBell

• former member

Paulv, What region of the US are you considering for this system. The GSAP Microflush technology meets most of the requirements you have, but I need to know more about the context of the installations.
..Steve Mecca

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• paulv
  • Topic Author

The two main design goals for the system are that it should provide organic fertilizer suitable for use on food plants, and it should be a system that has a good chance of being approved for use by Underwriters Laboratories, the EPA, state environmental departments, state plumbing code agencies, and local health code authorities.

The goal is that this system would be available as an alternative sewage treatment method in cities and rural areas. There will be a need to establish the minimum size of garden areas to distribute the resulting fertilizer, so as not to overload the garden with nutrients.

Eventually, I would hope that the system would be a design that could be installed by local plumbing contractors using a number of generally available parts and fittings. The current design includes a microcontroller with two solenoid valves and temperature sensors, however this is a simple system that could be provided at low cost. For example, an Arduino microcontroller commonly used by hobbyists would be adequate.

If successful, this system would allow human waste to be recycled into plant life and food in the local area, which is a big improvement from municipal wastewater treatment or septic tank systems, which generally do not complete the process of turning sewage waste into fertilizer for plant growth. By separating human waste and its pathogens from greywater, this system will allow greywater to be used locally for plant irrigation with minimal treatment. Use of this system would create a garden area which is fertile and irrigated, ideal for plant life. This would enhance the local habitat around each dwelling and can be used to provide food. The waste recovery system can be part of a closed loop of food production for humans, recycling human waste into fertilizer, recovering water for irrigation, and to close the loop, gardening for human food. The inputs into this system are human energy in gardening, sunlight and rainwater.

This project is being developed under an open source hardware license to provide any person the rights to construct the system. I wish to encourage experimentation and expect that there may be many paths to achieving the design goals.

I am seeking collaborators to help move the proposal forward by identifying initial research questions that need to be answered, and by testing parts or all of the proposed system. There is a need for a location to test a complete system. Eventually, there will be a need for funding to submit the system to the various agencies involved with establishing codes.

• paulv
  • Topic Author

Human Waste Resource Recovery Proposal

docs.google.com/document/d/10jI7glsHbm46...XAw/edit?usp=sharing

Heat Treatment Disinfection of Human Waste and Use of
Human Waste as a Fertilizer Resource

A Proposal to Develop a Human Waste Resource Recovery System

• KeithBell
  • User is blocked

I've always thought we here in the so-called developed world will learn sanitation lessons from the developing world. So, I've been trying to design a program here in Florida, USA to address over 200,000 leaking septic tanks which pollute a major marine estuary, the Indian River Lagoon now in peril.

This program is aimed at single family homes, unlike the large programs normally addressed on the forum, i.e., Durban, South Africa, where I've read 90,000 compost toilets have been installed. I'd like to learn how successful this program has been as I've seen mixed reports.

What I'd like to see here in Florida is a combination of dry toilets and urine diversion and municipal pickup service. In order to accomplish this, I'm drawn to the Envirolet vacuum flush systems where the remote storage tanks are placed outside for municipal emptying.
www.envirolet.com/vf.html

This way the individual homeowner isn't responsible for disposal and waste can be effectively processed as fertilizer. At this point, I'm not certain how waste can be removed from individual tanks for transport to a central compost facility such as the HotRot system I posted above.

I appreciate your input!

• paulv
  • Topic Author

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Paul may you check your link!

Copy: Information

Access to this page has been denied.
The computer administrator has forbidden access to pages of this type.

Requested URL: mb-soft.com/public3/globalzl.html
Category/categories: Illegal drugs

Note from Moderator: We were able to access this link; however, perhaps browsers with different security settings/ networks are not able to access this page. Paul, is there another format where this information is available? (Posted by Roslyn)
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds