Improved Wikipedia article on capacity development

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Working Group 1 (capacity development): Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 19-21 March - Example: article on capacity development

Hi Millie,

That's great, thank you!
I had a look at the article on capacity development that you edited:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_building

I see that you changed the first sentence in the lead - the most important part of the article, as it is used in Google search results. So that's great, it's always good to "be bold" on Wikipedia. Do you have a reference available that you could quote to "prove" that your statement is not just your opinion but an official definition? That would be great.

The definition could also be repeated and expanded in the section called "definitions". I wonder why the article talks so much about "Community capacity building", did you get that?

Feel free to use publications by CAWST as references, too, if they are suitable. Are there any images that could be added (photos of activities or also simple schematics?).

And can you think of a suitable way to bring WASH into the picture, perhaps in an examples section? So far, water and sanitation are mentioned once, although I don't really understand this sentence (sentence is a bit long, too):

Community capacity building is a conceptual approach to social, behavioral change and leads to infrastructure development in case of water and sanitation that focuses on understanding the obstacles that inhibit people, governments, international organizations and non-governmental organizations from realizing their development goals while enhancing the abilities that will allow them to achieve measurable and sustainable results.

Do you get their point? Can it be made clearer?

Would be great if you found the time in the next few days to work on this further (or if others from this working group would join you). We are still counting all the edits from the edit-a-thon until 31 March so please help us make our outcome statistics look good! ;-)
See here: outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Su..._Day_March_2017/home

(Of course editing Wikipedia also beyond 31 March is good, too!)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • millieadam
  • Topic Author

Working Group 1 (capacity development): Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 19-21 March - Example: article on capacity development

I made some edits to the capacity building page - hope to make more soon!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds